News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Your Ontario health sector at its best worst, by Doug Ford...

Peel Memorial closes urgent care centre amid 'extreme' capacity and staffing pressures

From link.

The urgent care centre at Peel Memorial Centre for Integrated Health and Wellness in Brampton will be closed until at least Feb. 1 amid “extreme capacity and staffing shortages.”

William Osler Health System made the announcement Monday evening after previously announcing the urgent care centre would be closed until Jan. 10.

“Due to increasing volumes in our Emergency Departments, further compounded by our extreme capacity and staffing pressures, Osler has made the very difficult decision to temporarily close its Urgent Care Centre at Peel Memorial until at least February 1, 2022,” a statement issued on their website said.

“This closure will help to direct the highly skilled staff and physicians to where demand is the greatest.”

Amid the recent surge of COVID-19 cases across Ontario fuelled by the Omicron variant, hospitals are continuing to grapple with staffing shortages and higher than normal patient volumes.

Last week, staffing shortages and increased patient volume saw William Osler Health System declare a ‘code orange’ across its hospital network.

The temporary measure, called off on Jan. 5, allowed patients to be transferred to neighbouring hospitals in order to free up capacity.

In response to the urgent care centre's closure, MPP for Brampton North, Kevin Yarde, MPP for Brampton Centre, Sara Singh and Deputy Opposition House Leader for the NDP, Gurratan Singh, released a joint statement Monday evening.

“The temporary closure of Peel Memorial's Urgent Care Centre is a scary development for patients and their families,” the statement read

“No one should have to worry that a loved one might not get the care they need in an emergency.”
The statement calls on the Ford government to repeal Bill 124, which limits regular annual salary increases for nurses to one per cent for each 12-month period, provide Ontario health care workers with danger pay and implement the Canadian Armed Forces for emergency staffing in hospitals.

William Osler recommends that patients visit their family doctor for non-emergent concerns during the closure.

Osler’s other emergency departments, including those at Brampton Civic and Etobicoke General, remain open.

Double-edged sword news.

My daughter suffered greatly during the previous school lockdowns; daily breakdowns, sleep and anger issues, malaise and loneliness. Even time spent back to in-school classes, she hasn't fully gotten back to where she was; there's still anxiety and mood swings that come out of nowhere.

While our daughter is considered as fully vaxxed as currently can be at double-dosed; the 5-11 age group has only about a 40% vaccination rate (and until the end of the month, that rate is only counting one dose). The government has ignored health care groups (including TPH) who've called for mandatory covid vaccines for schoolchildren, so every anti-vax idiot is going to be sending their kids into class and it will spread life wildfire. We seem to be ignoring that Omicron hadn't yet gotten up to full steam by the time the kids ended the school year.

There's currently an online learning system set up and running, as it's optional whether or not you want to send your kid. Send the unvaccinated kids to online learning and let the vaccinated be in classes. As much as it sucks to say that, because it's not the unvaxxed kids' fault, we also can't ignore the parent's responsibility and choices.

Let that be a big carrot-shaped stick for getting the kids back in school safely.

Last edited:
That's rather disturbing - given the almost 50% jump in hospitalization and 25% jump in ICU numbers. I guess the question in everyone's mind is how far we are from the peak - and what portion of the general population has already been exposed to COVID.

AoD
This is the kind of information we should be getting and didn't. We need to have clear goals and expectations. Now we're in a lockdown and don't know what the end goal is.

This is the kind of information we should be getting and didn't. We need to have clear goals and expectations. Now we're in a lockdown and don't know what the end goal is.
The one thing I want to know is as a thrice vaccinated (3xModerna) otherwise healthy 50 y/o what is my level of risk of ending up in hospital, ICU or dead. Tell me that so I can make an informed decision on how to live my life.

But it isn’t just your risk level. Because if you get sick, you can spread it to someone with a higher risk level, including unvaccinated children, and they may experience significant illness or even death. And even if you spread it only to low risk individuals, the cumulative impact of all those people being off on sick leave is significant. Businesses and services are closing temporarily because of it, GO trains are being cancelled and more. It really isn’t about me. It’s about all of us.

Nevermind the end goal for society - what's the endgame for the health system because it can't sustain these level of increases - and how much further it will go depends on the portion of the population Omicron has already, and still has to go through.

AoD

That's rather disturbing - given the almost 50% jump in hospitalization and 25% jump in ICU numbers. I guess the question in everyone's mind is how far we are from the peak - and what portion of the general population has already been exposed to COVID.

AoD

And what percentage of those are unvaccinated?

And what percentage of those are unvaccinated?

At this rate, unless there's another variant to take over from Omicron, by the time we got all the unvaccinated their first shot, the wave will be well past its peak.

In the meantime, we should pull a Quebec and require a vax passport for Weed and Booze. If only so we get to watch all these selfish asshats eat crow.

At this rate, unless there's another variant to take over from Omicron, by the time we got all the unvaccinated their first shot, the wave will be well past its peak.

In the meantime, we should pull a Quebec and require a vax passport for Weed and Booze. If only so we get to watch all these selfish asshats eat crow.

Actually the issue is prioritization of resources should the system get overwhelmed - why should health resources be directed to those who refused to get vaccinated even though they could - just because they have a higher chance of survival - over those who got vaccinated?

AoD

Actually the issue is prioritization of resources should the system get overwhelmed - why should health resources be directed to those who refused to get vaccinated even though they could - just because they have a higher chance of survival - over those who got vaccinated?
Personally, they reap what they sow, but that's my emotional response. I also know that level of triage will martyr every unvaccinated Covid death for the anti-vax crowd and create a political powderkeg. And eventually, you know some immunocompromised patient who can't be vaccinated will slip through the cracks when an over-zealous triage happens.

We need to take the kid gloves off in some way. It's like we know 20% of the drivers out there were drunk, but have no way to impound their cars or take away their licenses. At best, we're inconveniencing anti-vaxxers when we should be incapacitating them.

Back