News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

You know where there's a surprising amount of 'spare' hand sanitizer?

A lot of suddenly, mostly vacant, class-A office space downtown.

Most buildings have the stuff (washrooms/common areas); and many offices have their own as well.

Might make sense for some of those mostly WFH offices to send some home w/their staff if nothing else, or donate any that are still in boxes to healthcare/long-term care sites.

With respect to the issue of overcrowded parks........

It needs to be said, most aren't. Most have ample room for people to practice social distancing.

That said, this is a good moment for the City to be strategic in a few different ways.

A) In areas with uber-popular parks, if there is land that was meant to be added to to said parks in the next short while, that's mostly ready (no buildings to remove), it should be finished off immediately with mulch and a walking path, and opened.

B) The City needs to consider gentle marketing of the less used spaces (we don't want to over-crowd those), but we do want to rebalance a bit.

C) We absolutely do not want to close parks/trails, this will either lead to defiance, or to further crowding in the remaining open spaces. We do want to put signs educating people to stay apart where practical, but not to freak out if they need to pass someone, just don't chat them up, head down/away, keep moving........

D) In the most crowded trails/spaces we need to cap usage, first w/gentle persuasion, then, if needs be with gating off parking lots or the like to discourage over-use; finally though having staff/police advise people to leave or restrict points of entry, as last resort.

E) Finally, we need to open up more walking spaces, both on roads, such as Yonge Street, where we were going to do this permanently anyway; no time like the present. This is not the pretty final version, just a simple closure w/fast fence/jersey barriers/pylons. But give people space to get outside without crowding each other.

Ontario NDP calling for a variety of measures from the province from Emergency cash transfers to boosts in hospital and public health funding.

1584972042170.png

I believe there were earlier reports of a man in Japan who was similarly trying to spread the virus deliberately.

Correct - although that person is dead, so he can't spread it anymore.

Back in May of 2019, Doug Ford cut funding to the Ontario Telemedicine Network. Laying off 44 staff members back then.

See link.

With social distancing a priority right now, that funding should be reversed and even increased.

A non-profit agency that helps Ontario patients access health care through videoconferencing has laid off more than 15 per cent of its staff in the wake of a cut to its provincial funding, CBC News has learned.

The Ontario Telemedecine Network (OTN) eliminated 44 staff jobs, an official with the agency told CBC News...

...When Elliott announced plans to reform the health system earlier this year, she said the province intends to boost the amount of medical care delivered virtually.

"We look forward to continuing to work with OTN as we implement our long-term strategy to modernize our public health care system," said Chazan's statement.

An official with Ontario Telemedicine network said the agency employed 265 staff before the 44 jobs were cut...

diane-whalen.JPG

Registered nurse Diane Whalen demonstrates a 'virtual critical care' consultation, using the Ontario Telemedicine Network. (HSN)

...Ontario Telemedicine Network's latest annual report says it facilitated nearly 900,000 patient consultations, and saved nearly $72 million that would have been paid in travel grants to patients in northern Ontario.

"This is another cut that will be felt by people who already don't have equitable access to health services that many people in big centres take for granted," said NDP health critic France Gélinas in an interview.

The province's Sunshine List shows 76 employees at Ontario Telemedicine Network received salaries in excess of $100,000 in 2018. CEO Edward Brown topped the list, earning $586,111. Ten other executives earned more than $200,000 each.

Established in 2006, OTN is separate from Telehealth, which allows people to pick up the phone to ask routine medical questions.

Listening to Trudeau's presser.

He's getting more than a little irked as people not following the 'advice' on social distancing.

Sounds very much like a 'Just Watch Me' moment may be coming.

I feel very mixed about that. One must do what is necessary for the greater good; but one must be cautious in the extreme about over-riding civil liberties, particularly for a sustained period.

PATH update today: a little bounce up in activity from Friday. The LCBO locations and drug stores are still open. All Tim's and Second Cup locations look to still be open. A handful of other food court places, mostly the independent shops, are still open too attracting a small but steady stream of workers that are still going in to the office each day. Longo's in First Canadian Place is open. A few other businesses are also still open: dry cleaners with reduced hours, I think mostly only to let people pick up and pay for their items that are in the store. An optometrist near me is open by appointment only (doors are closed, but there's a sign with a number you can call to request a time to come in). Hair salons appear open, and working the same way--by appointment only, no walk-ins. The variety type stores selling lottery tickets, chips, drinks, magazines, etc. are all still open.

Listening to Trudeau's presser.

He's getting more than a little irked as people not following the 'advice' on social distancing.

Sounds very much like a 'Just Watch Me' moment may be coming.

I feel very mixed about that. One must do what is necessary for the greater good; but one must be cautious in the extreme about over-riding civil liberties, particularly for a sustained period.

Well yeah I read whisky washy language does not work with the public.

If you simply say you must self isolate for 14 days or you will be jailed, and have minimal enforcement you will get greater compliance.

Robert Benzie
@robertbenzie
·1m
BREAKING: Premier Doug Ford to announce a shut down of all non-essential services to curb #COVID19 spread. Only essential manufacturers and supply chain providers as well as supermarkets, pharmacies,
@LCBO
, and takeout restaurants to remain open. Details Tuesday. #onpoli

Good news.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford has ordered the shutdown of all non-essential businesses. Will go into effect Tuesday at 11:59 p.m. and will last at least 14 days.

Lots of Amazon stuff is backed up now anyway. I would think they could present a good argument for being an essential service since it keeps people out of the stores. They sell food and basics.

Back