News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Alvin, I think the role of active non-compliance is overstated because it’s vocal. I suspect generally non-compliance is unintentional and has to do with the different ways people prioritize things in their mind.

Vocal active non-compliance is the tip of the iceberg - just because someone isn't vocal doesn't mean they can't willfully ignore signage. Ignorance is no excuse.

AoD

News from the southern hemisphere.

If anything, this pandemic has been really good (not in a good way!) at exposing ugly underbellies of societies around the world. Singapore's a really good example: its citizens are (were?) pretty much fine but the virus was running rampant through foreign worker dorms.

Here in Australia, we've had a hotel quarantine system in place for all international travellers arriving since April - basically, you are bussed from the airport to hotel to do mandatory quarantine for 14 days. Paid for the by the government but in Victoria, the government has used a security company that appears to have not given much of a shit re: instructing and enforcing employees to do the right thing.

So much so we had a breach ~4 weeks ago and now we're seeing 70-120 cases a day in community spread... which for all intents and purposes is actually a new angle on the pandemic for us. March/April first wave for us was all international travellers and their close contacts.... curve flattened through test and trace. Now we have widespread community transmission that's pretty much been common everywhere else.

Tonight, the Victorian-New South Wales border is shutting for the first since........... the Spanish flu epidemic 100 years ago.

Those security guards where the sanitary breach occurred? Basically lower socio-economic people living either in public housing or overcrowded housing.

12 postcodes / 36 suburbs in the north and north-west of Melbourne (~350,000 out of 5 million people) are back on stay at home and only leave for 4 basic reasons orders (to get food/supplies, medical appointments/test, work if you can't work from home or exercise) and 8 public housing buildings on two different estates are in total lockdown.

Loosening of restrictions has now been put on hold.

And now as of tonight at 11:59pm the entire Melbourne metro plus the Mitchel Shire (which borders Melbourne metro to the north along the Hume Hwy - the main inland road to Canberra and Sydney) is going back to what we call stage 3 restrictions (you can only leave home for the 4 "good" reasons: work/study, shop for food/essentials, medical appointments/care giving, and exercise).

They've modified the stage 3 slightly from March/April: Exercise must be within metropolitan Melbourne and cant be a bushwalk in regional Vic (people apparently were doing this under the guise of exercise). This time around you cannot go to a holiday home if you have one (was allowed previously) and you can play golf this time around [insert rolling eyes here].

Little cases in regional Vic and they'll be roadblocking metro Melbourne apparently.

Death rate remains low, something something...

AoD
I‘m repeating myself, but coffins are what counts. If total deaths continue to decline as total cases increase it plays to Trump’s calls to reopen the economy, cure worse than the disease, etc.

I‘m repeating myself, but coffins are what counts. If total deaths continue to decline as total cases increase it plays to Trump’s calls to reopen the economy, cure worse than the disease, etc.

Total deaths are never going to decline - at best it is the percentage of cases resulting death, but let's put it this way - a good chunk of people going into ICUs won't make it - and the ICUs are getting packed - and the number of new cases hasn't even peaked. My quip about death rate remaining low is exactly in response to the mistaken belief that these new cases will somehow give you a happy ending - they won't, with ICU numbers being a proxy.

AoD

Last edited:
Total deaths are never going to decline - at best it is the percentage of cases resulting death, but let's put it this way - a good chunk of people going into ICUs won't make it - and the ICUs are getting packed - and total number of cases hasn't even peaked. My quip about death rate remaining low is exactly in response to the mistaken belief that these new cases will somehow give you a happy ending - they won't, with ICU numbers being a proxy.

AoD

From link.

...In a May 26 study in the journal Critical Care Medicine, Martin and a group of colleagues found that 35.7 percent of covid-19 patients who required ventilators died — a significant percentage but much lower than early reports that put the figure in the upper 80 percent range.

Use of drugs such as remdesivir, which shortens the recovery time for some of the sickest patients, and the steroid dexamethasone have helped as well.

In case anyone feels like loudly haranguing maskless strangers in residential lobbies, like my husband did, only to be admonished deservedly by management, please be reminded that the new city by-law does not apply to the common areas of residential buildings.

In case anyone feels like loudly haranguing maskless strangers in residential lobbies, like my husband did, only to be admonished deservedly by management, please be reminded that the new city by-law does not apply to the common areas of residential buildings.
I hate how we harangue strangers. What happened to Canadians? When did we become such dicks?

Most people getting sick now are younger too.
The death rate below 30 is like 0.1 %

Rest easy at a 1 in 1000 odd of dying - and that's just dying.

I hate how we harangue strangers. What happened to Canadians? When did we become such dicks?

Perhaps you should also ask when did law and rule abiding Canadians stop being so? Like those mask defying idiots?

AoD

Back