News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's very related. This entire protest is being touted as being in opposition to public health mandates and measures taken in response to the pandemic, and the claim that we are being stripped of our freedoms as a result.

Yes but peeing on a war memorial?

We don't disagree often Lucy but this time we do. It may be related to Coronvirus but it really should be its own thread or at least in the Justin Trudeau thread.

All I see here is dozens of posts about parking on the war memorial, peeing on the war memorial and the desecration of a statue. I'm also seeing many posts about Justin Trudeaus vaccine policy.

I'll just unfollow this thread because I'm here for actual news about the actual vírus.

All I see here is dozens of posts about parking on the war memorial, peeing on the war memorial and the desecration of a statue. I'm also seeing many posts about Justin Trudeaus vaccine policy.

Some people don't see the hypocrisy in Canadian "patriots" crying about their lack of freedoms yesterday by desecrating the monuments of the war dead that actually fought and died to preserve our freedom. That's why I said we should not look away. This is part and parcel of the anti-vax movement. It is painful to see. Sorry you were so offended.

Some people don't see the hypocrisy in Canadian "patriots" crying about their lack of freedoms yesterday by desecrating the monuments of the war dead that actually fought and died to preserve our freedom.

Personally, I’ve always disliked the idea that the world wars were fought for our freedom. They weren’t. Neither war hit our shores.

It’s a far more honourable act that these soldiers gave their lives for other people’s freedom. We acted as a part of global community, rather than nationalistic protection. Part of this is what led to Canada’s reputation as peacekeepers, after all. Collectively our country put ourselves through hardship — rationing resources at home and shifting manufacturing for the war effort — and gave the lives of our young overseas for the protection and liberation of others.

That said, it makes it even more disrespectful that those in the convoy claiming to be for “freedom” while desecrating these monuments hide individual motivations behind the specious claims of protecting “everyone”.

That's why I said we should not look away. This is part and parcel of the anti-vax movement. It is painful to see. Sorry you were so offended.
Never look away.

Oddly on topic, given how this thread has deteriorated.

TLDR:
- There is no magic bullet to talking someone out of believing in a grand conspiracy theory
- Using empathy, avoiding confrontations, and keeping the dialogue going can help
- It is often the believer who decides on their own to stop embracing a grand conspiracy theory, and the feelings that follow can range from shame to relief

Personally, I’ve always disliked the idea that the world wars were fought for our freedom. They weren’t. Neither war hit our shores.

It’s a far more honourable act that these soldiers gave their lives for other people’s freedom. We acted as a part of global community, rather than nationalistic protection. Part of this is what led to Canada’s reputation as peacekeepers, after all. Collectively our country put ourselves through hardship — rationing resources at home and shifting manufacturing for the war effort — and gave the lives of our young overseas for the protection and liberation of others.

That said, it makes it even more disrespectful that those in the convoy claiming to be for “freedom” while desecrating these monuments hide individual motivations behind the specious claims of protecting “everyone”.

Never look away.
Not offering an argument, but while I agree with your interpretation of the word "our" in the singular context, I and I believe many others interpret the word in the plural, as is the allied nations, the collective of democracies. Regardless, our military served on our behalf.

Even in the singular sense, 27 civilian and Canadian warships were sunk by Nazi forces in the St. Lawrence River and Gulf.

Not offering an argument, but while I agree with your interpretation of the word "our" in the singular context, I and I believe many others interpret the word in the plural, as is the allied nations, the collective of democracies. Regardless, our military served on our behalf.
Fair point.
Even in the singular sense, 27 civilian and Canadian warships were sunk by Nazi forces in the St. Lawrence River and Gulf.
That's true, though Newfoundland & Labrador hadn't yet signed on and that was considered "overseas" warfare.

Fair point.

That's true, though Newfoundland & Labrador hadn't yet signed on and that was considered "overseas" warfare.
No clue what the maritime law was back then wrt to the Dominion of Newfoundland, but most sinkings were clearly within Canadian territorial waters:

(about halfway down the page)

Now back to the regular scheduled rantings . . .

Back