News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Canadian delegation at the Olympics is already testing positive for COVID.

1643725232016.png

If you are involved in a demonstration and you see people who piss on memorials, fly Nazi flags, and promote white supremacy, you leave if you have any decency. If you remain there, you endorse their actions, you are trash and I'm not interested in anything you have to say that is not already drowned out by horns and screaming idiots spouting insults.

What I am more concerned about at the moment is the apparent impossibility for governments to have any influence over the policing of those events. It is as if we become a police state and are at the mercy of law enforcement officials for their duration.
Because, in the purest sense, law enforcement serves the State, not the Government. In Ontario, it's right in the Police Services Act. There is a sad history of the police being used for strike breaking and the like. In and of themselves, public urination, flying a certain flag nor simply stating or espousing a certain point of view are not illegal. If we want them to be, we need to elect officials to pass the necessary laws and see what the courts think.

I haven't heard any elected official calling on the police to 'get them out of the park' (a la Mike Harris) because they know they don't have that authority.

Quebec walking back the unvaccinated tax idea:

Saskatchewan apparently ready to nix 'proof of vaccination'

This latter move is getting blowback, though less for the idea of the rollback than for a series of statements by the Premier that suggested vaccines are no longer of value against Omicron.
I'm actually not surprised by the Quebec move. I think once the lawyers and bureaucrats became involved, the legalities, logistics and ethics were found to be unworkable. I suppose they could have invoked the Notwithstanding Clause - they're well practiced - but decided it wasn't a hill worth dying on.

Because, in the purest sense, law enforcement serves the State, not the Government. In Ontario, it's right in the Police Services Act. There is a sad history of the police being used for strike breaking and the like. In and of themselves, public urination, flying a certain flag nor simply stating or espousing a certain point of view are not illegal. If we want them to be, we need to elect officials to pass the necessary laws and see what the courts think.

I haven't heard any elected official calling on the police to 'get them out of the park' (a la Mike Harris) because they know they don't have that authority.

Perhaps the Ontario Legislature (nay, that's not even needed - all you need is the Cabinet) to can designate that area as "public works"...if it worked for G20...

AoD

Last edited:
Perhaps the Ontario Legislature (nay, that's not even needed - all you need is the Cabinet) to can designate that area as "public works"...if it worked for G20...

AoD
If memory serves, that was determined to be an overreach of the Public Works Protection Act. Besides, it was repealed in 2014 or 15.

If memory serves, that was determined to be an overreach of the Public Works Protection Act. Besides, it was repealed in 2014 or 15.

I know Andre Marin wrote about it in his report - not sure about it being repealed. In any case, this particular Ontario legislature had been rather efficient if it is something they really wanted to do.

AoD

I know Andre Marin wrote about it in his report - not sure about it being repealed. In any case, this particular Ontario legislature had been rather efficient if it is something they really wanted to do.

AoD
The government website says it was repealed on June 24, 2015. Elements were replaced by amendments to the Police Services Act (court facilities) and a new 'Electricity Generating Facilities and Nuclear Facilities Act'. I'm not aware of any other existing authority to declare special status to just any old place, let alone a public area, but could be mistaken. Perhaps under the federal or provincial emergency legislation but I doubt the protest meets the test of either.

Thanks as well for the important discussion facilitated by Bill Maher on the left about the importance of civil liberties. Quote from his guest last night, Matt Welch:
“They - we - need relief from the restrictions imposed by neurotic, statist, and ultimately selfish adults.“
Bill Maher is just another rich, entitled dirtbag opposed to government restrictions. He rails against anything that cuts into his ability to take advantage of aspiring models and actresses. I still can't believe #metoo hasn't taken this clown down.

We should have boycotted these games, just like we should have in 1936.
Agree; although I would feel sorry for the athletes. It's a bit of a different situation than '36. Given the factors of that era (communications, etc.), there wasn't the widespread public knowledge and condemnation of the Reich at that time. They hadn't invaded anyone yet and a lot of the internal strife simply wasn't widely known. Heck, there was a lot of 'officialdom' at the time who were applauding the government for 'getting the country back on its feet' after WWI.

Agree; although I would feel sorry for the athletes. It's a bit of a different situation than '36. Given the factors of that era (communications, etc.), there wasn't the widespread public knowledge and condemnation of the Reich at that time. They hadn't invaded anyone yet and a lot of the internal strife simply wasn't widely known. Heck, there was a lot of 'officialdom' at the time who were applauding the government for 'getting the country back on its feet' after WWI.

There is quite a bit of adoration in the media for Hitler at the time - even when it get clsoe to the war:

AoD

Back