News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Indeed. We are witnessing the start of a brave new T.O.!

The energy level, the young crowds, and the transitory nature of much of the art reminded me of the first year art school experience. It was refreshing to see this kind of spirit extended to include everyone, right across the downtown.

Fog during Taste of the Danforth! That would bring a much needed element of danger to spice things up.

The energy was awesome. I was worried it was going to be like the outdoor art fair (nothing wrong with the fair but we only do need one) but I was instantly surprised when walking along Queen at Dufferin at the energy of the night. It continued all night which was soo good to see. Families, kids, hipsters, drunks, clubbers, hippies, old folks and the odd suit all walking around interacting not only with the art but with each other which is so rare for Toronto.

The 10year olds djing in the ball room was great and there was no 'hey, you can't throw that ball in here' that one would usually get. It was freedom. So kid kicked me in the shins. I threw a ball at Hayden's head.

Once a year is perfect. With twice the estimated Crowd you can bet Scotia Bank is planning next years already.

Mostly, an evening for Torontonians by Torontonians. We weren't putting on a show to attract the world, or disguising where we are as somewhere else.

I've been putting off reading this thread for a week out of the sheer dissapointment of having to miss it. Unfortunately it confirms my greatest fears... I really missed out on something amazing. Watching them set up and test out installations in Trinity Park was tough enough. It's as if for one night the city was transformed into the Tate Modern.

Thanks for the descriptions and writeups, everyone.

Next year... come hell or high water...

Next year, maybe there will be something out on the lake - a recreation of Botticelli's Birth of Venus or something.

As Now Magazine said: "Wow, Toronto threw a party and it didn't suck!"

Too bad Now's writing and editing so obviously do...

I had a good time stayed out until about 3:00 am. The weather was actually pretty bad particularly for some of the outside events I was actually shocked at the turnout, as mentioned before it was as if Torontonians were dying for such an event. Except for the overcrowding in some locations the vibe was extremely positive and spontaneous.

I walked through Queen West from Roncesvale to Bathurst on my way back home from work since the streetcars were so slow - I was completely unprepared for what I saw: crazy crowds, massive traffic jams, and quirky art (such as that videoscreem by Gladstone/Queen showing a Communist satire music video of sorts). Really great energy!

What is the vibe in Toronto about Nuit Blanche returning in 2007?

Back