News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

D

Darkstar416

Not sure which thread this belongs in, but B&A seems the most appropriate.

NYC has unveiled the first of 3 300 new bus shelters to be installed under the City's Coordinated Street Furniture Franchise. The 20-year contract with Cemusa, Inc., will also furnish 20 new public toilets, replace 330 newsstands and generate roughly $1.4 billion in new revenue for New York over its lifetime.

I don't think Cemusa was one of the company's bidding on Toronto's street furniture contract, but I must say that I wish they were. Take a look...

2006_12_street2.jpg

2006_12_street1.jpg

2007_03_DuaneBouley3.JPG

Grimshaw%20Bus%20Shelter%202.jpg

Grimshaw%20Bus%20Shelter%201.jpg

00000216Foto.jpg

00000219Foto.jpg

00000218Foto.jpg

Grimshaw%20Newsstand.jpg

00000202Foto.jpg

They were bidding on the contract but dropped out because of some unrealistic numbers in terms of ad revenue generated.

I think the line is designed by Nicholas Grimshaw.

Nice, but not jaw-droppingly so. The lit up strip in front of the bus shelter is a great touch, but all in all, I think the current bus shelters we have compares favourably.

AoD

The bus shelters look ok, but I don't see them being at all useful in the wind, rain, or snow...which is kind of why they're there.

Reminds me a lot of the new furniture and finishes in Pearson T1. Very smart and sleek.

I certainly don't like the bus shelters, which would not give much shelter. Unless sidewalk space is at a real premium, a shelter should have four walls.

On the other hand, congratulaions to them if they can provide real public washrooms that aren't slummy.

Obs. Walt:

Providing them is one thing - being able to keep them reasonably clean 24/7 will be the challenge. In this case, I'd rather the city don't provide them.

AoD

Self-cleaning washrooms are the answer. Seriously. Loiter around too long, and you get washed too.

Back