8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

JayBee

Member Bio
Reaction score
So...my occupancy date is November 5th. Only problem is my lease is up October 31st. I'm going to be a hermit for a good 5 days...(anyone willing to put me up for a week? :D) but I was wondering...is the occupancy date usually a solid date? I mean, your PDI is usually a week or so before the occupancy date....why can't you just move in then?

Just wondering if I can avoid having to move twice in a week but I already know the answer :(

2 choices ...
either see if you can get an extension for another month on your current place until end of November, which will also allow you more time to slowly move yourself and belongings but it also means you end up paying double rent for a month;

alternatively, talk to the developer and see if it's possible to move your date up several days to match your lease expiration ... i hear sometimes they can accomodate somethings like that.

Can you ask the builder if guest suite of the building is ready? If so maybe they can let you stay there for few days.

2 choices ...
either see if you can get an extension for another month on your current place until end of November, which will also allow you more time to slowly move yourself and belongings but it also means you end up paying double rent for a month;

alternatively, talk to the developer and see if it's possible to move your date up several days to match your lease expiration ... i hear sometimes they can accomodate somethings like that.
Unfortunately, my landlord has already leased my place. I guess I'll talk to the developer and see if I can somehow push my date up (I really don't have much to move)...I just wanted to make sure they wouldn't laugh at me if I asked.

thanks for the input.

Do you have friends with storage space? A garage or three? Divvy up your stuff among them. You yourself can always find a hotel or something. My kids have their friends come over to help pack or unpack, in return for a meal and booze. I myself rent a van to help keep moving costs down.

Do you have friends with storage space? A garage or three? Divvy up your stuff among them. You yourself can always find a hotel or something. My kids have their friends come over to help pack or unpack, in return for a meal and booze. I myself rent a van to help keep moving costs down.

I don't have much stuff, I'm pretty much throwign out all my furniture. Staying at a hotel for 5 days is like paying a month's rent...lol. I guess I'll figure something out.

Occupancy Dilemma: Ask for more time to vacate!

JB: I remember when I vacated an apartment that I rented in suburban Philadelphia back in the Summer of 2000 I had a problem getting a van to move out-a buddy of mine was available to help but was only available at certain times so I asked the building's manager explaining the move-out situation I had and they gave me whatever time I needed to move out.

What helped was that I was the only tenant moving out and the apartment was going to be renovated before it was rented out again-meaning no one was to move right in. You should ask for the 5 or so days extra for you to move explaining the situation you have to move into your new place. If there is not someone moving into your former residence literally right behind you it should not be a problem for that management to accomodate this problem.

If they choose to not grant you the short extra time and do not have another place to go - like a friend's place - perhaps a motel or somewhere would be the right thing to do-as a last resort. I feel if that management refuses to be flexible perhaps getting away from them is a good thing-especially if they know that you have been a good tenant in the time you lived there.

I hope this helps you bridge this "gap" of sorts - LI MIKE

JB: I remember when I vacated an apartment that I rented in suburban Philadelphia back in the Summer of 2000 I had a problem getting a van to move out-a buddy of mine was available to help but was only available at certain times so I asked the building's manager explaining the move-out situation I had and they gave me whatever time I needed to move out.

What helped was that I was the only tenant moving out and the apartment was going to be renovated before it was rented out again-meaning no one was to move right in. You should ask for the 5 or so days extra for you to move explaining the situation you have to move into your new place. If there is not someone moving into your former residence literally right behind you it should not be a problem for that management to accomodate this problem.

If they choose to not grant you the short extra time and do not have another place to go - like a friend's place - perhaps a motel or somewhere would be the right thing to do-as a last resort. I feel if that management refuses to be flexible perhaps getting away from them is a good thing-especially if they know that you have been a good tenant in the time you lived there.

I hope this helps you bridge this "gap" of sorts - LI MIKE

The OP has stated that, unfortunately, the landlord has already leased his place after I suggested the same idea.

So...my occupancy date is November 5th. Only problem is my lease is up October 31st.

You might try finding a 2 week to 1 month furnished house-sitting/spare room type deal on Craigslist. I've had good luck with that kind of thing while travelling as a cheap hotel alternative, especially this year since extra cash is needed by many.

You can use the extra time to clean (even the ceiling needs a wipe down), paint, redo your PDI (start preparations on the first months Tarion submission before moving in -- check behind appliances and other areas you didn't see before); photograph everything (for disputes/insurance/... -- building common areas too!); make sure appliances/basics are functional, air out your unit as there will be a thick layer of drywall, paint dust and fumes; triple check for leaky plumbing as this is painful to get fixed if damage is caused; check airflows, particularly that the bathroom/kitchen
fan is capable of keeping moist air from leaving the area; etc.

My only real regret with my first condo purchase was moving in 2 days after taking occupancy. Lots and lots of things would have been easier if I had worked on it for 2 weeks first.

Last edited:
So...my occupancy date is November 5th. Only problem is my lease is up October 31st. I'm going to be a hermit for a good 5 days...(anyone willing to put me up for a week? :D) but I was wondering...is the occupancy date usually a solid date? I mean, your PDI is usually a week or so before the occupancy date....why can't you just move in then?

Just wondering if I can avoid having to move twice in a week but I already know the answer :(

Who is the developer, and what development is it?

maybe as the time draws near, you can see if there are agents hanging around the building? Sometimes there's investors who don't intend to occupy the unit on occupancy so they're left empty. They might want to rent it to you for a short period if you give them some money?

Call or Email me during the week 10am-6pm and I will ask my Lanterra contacts if it is possible to match your Occupancy date so you won't have to move twice.

or email via the site

thx

Call or Email me during the week 10am-6pm and I will ask my Lanterra contacts if it is possible to match your Occupancy date so you won't have to move twice.

or email via the site

thx
Thanks....I'll give you a shout

I actually talked to the builder Customer Care and looks like I should be able to move my date up. Just need to have my lawyer contact them. What a relief.

Thanks to those who helped!

Back