9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

pw20

Member Bio
Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to do a run-down of what is being proposed in terms of office development in the core. There's about 10M square feet in the pipeline... with 4M under construction and under 3M in leasing stages.

1. Bay Adelaide II Construction Brookfield 980,000
  2. Waterpark Place III Construction Oxford 930,000
  3. SouthCore III Construction bcIMC 700,000
  4. King East Centre I Construction Great Gulf 100,000
  5. Queen Richmond W. Construction Allied 300,000
  6. Sears Warehouse Repurposing Ontario 450,000
Tototal Construction: 3,460,000

1. King East Centre II Leasing Great Gulf 350,000
  2. 1 York Leasing Menkes 800,000
  3. 16 York Leasing Cadillac 800,000
  4. 100 Adelaide West Leasing Oxford 900,000
TOtal In Leasing: 2,850,000

1. King and Peter Proposal Allied 800,000
  2. Brookfield Place III Proposal Brookfield 800,000
  3. 2 Queen West ( Proposal Cadillac NA
  4. 156 Front Street Proposal Cadillac NA
  5. 30 Bay Street Proposal Oxford NA
  6. King East Centre III Proposal Great Gulf 350,000
  7. 45 Bay Street Proposal SITQ NA
  8. Bay Adelaide III Proposal Brookfield 500,000
  9. Toronto Convention Proposal Oxford NA
  10. 880 Bay Street Proposal Ontario 900,000
  11. Atrium on Bay Proposal H+R Reit 250,000
Total proposed: 3,600,000

I didn't see Richmond-Adelaide Centre III in here. Is it included?

10 million square feet, plus 5 projects that we don't know the square footage....not bad...

Thanks for putting this together, it looks like you've caught everything. I think the CBC building is looking to lease office space as well, but I'm not sure of it's status. There's some other rumours out there but they're too early to have any specifics.

It makes you wonder though, with only half a dozen future class A, million square foot building sites left in the core is it possible downtown Toronto could 'fill up' in the next 20-30 years?

I forgot the hospital stuff (Sick Kids, MaRS)... that and the Globe and Mail. You could also go as far east as the Great Gulf project at the base of the DVP and office in Bayside. It depends on what we want to look at.

Regardless... there's a lot out there, which is exciting.
It also makes sense my developers are also active in the proposal stage. If you think of the leasing cycle - once they've already started construction on a tower you want to be fairly far down the leasing process for your next project. My favourite proposal is 100 Adelaide by far.

Last edited:
It makes you wonder though, with only half a dozen future class A, million square foot building sites left in the core is it possible downtown Toronto could 'fill up' in the next 20-30 years?

the concept of downtown can easily expand on both sides, especially east. It is not like Toronto is short in land.

the concept of downtown can easily expand on both sides, especially east. It is not like Toronto is short in land.

With height limitations, i doubt east..... to build 1 or 2 million square ft. you would need a couple city blocks to build a bunch of smaller structures
It just does not make sense to build an office park near the CBD...there is still more than enough land in the CBD to go large

For example, a couple sites that come to mind...

The Toronto Star lands (Supertall/80s-100s),
Toronto Convention Centre lands, (50s-60s),
BCE-3 (easily can build 75s+),
1 Front St. W rear, (2x300m-iconic twin office towers),
30 Bay, TPA site (50s)
York Street-Front/Queen (has a couple smaller bldgs. that can get demolished to make way for a larger tower, 40s+),
171 Front (demolish the rest of the building and build taller than the approved 37s, say 50s-60s)
LCBO lands, (40s-50s)

I don't know, ignoring market conditions, a 100 storey tower so close to the lake and the mid-rise east bayfront doesn't make any sense. The site is big enough unlike a 75 storey tower on the BCE 3 plot.

I don't know, ignoring market conditions, a 100 storey tower so close to the lake and the mid-rise east bayfront doesn't make any sense. The site is big enough unlike a 75 storey tower on the BCE 3 plot.

i agree times arent that great right now, but we are talking 10-20 years from now....dont you think someone is eventually going to propose/build tall, or do you think by then we still dont desrve that status:confused:

Back