News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thanks.

I was just looking at maps of the area and I can't believe we'd run a subway along that route when a "pendeltåg" (lol) could be built along the same route for a fraction of the cost.

If you're just following the rail line, then it'd be pretty darn cheap subway extension wouldn't it?

Here's bit and pieces of the news article about GO and VIA returning to LIUNA Station.....

http://www.thespec.com/News/article/345354

Provincial cash to add GO train stop at LIUNA Station

March 26, 2008
BY JOHN BURMAN
The Hamilton Spectator

The province is putting up $3 million to put in a platform, ticket kiosk and lighting for a GO Train stop just east of the old CN station on James Street North, now a highly successful banquet centre owned by the Laborers’ International Union of North America.

VIA Rail, which pulled out of the James Street station in 1992, shifting passengers to the Aldershot GO station, has indicated it is interested in using the new platform, returning VIA service to the city, if the GO Transit Authority is on board.

MacIsaac said last night that GO trains using the LIUNA stop will supplement, not replace, existing service at the renovated TH&B Hunter Street GO station and bus terminal.

Eisenberger said, adding he thinks it could be a year or more before any GO trains roll into the station.

Perhaps, the mayor said, this could also open the door to expanded GO Train service into Niagara region.

“It will be a wonderful thing for Hamilton,†said Mancinelli (owns LIUNA Station). “We have been begging for a return of passenger train service and full GO service for years.â€

He also pointed out LIUNA got four hectares of land with the station when it bought the building in 1998 for renovation, so there is room to expand station facilities if that is needed someday. Mancinelli would use train service from LIUNA Station himself.

I have a feeling that all-day service to Hamilton will use this station rather than the GO station. It'll be much less expensive, as CP is pretty much demanding the downtown tunnel be expanded in order to allow more trains.

This could be GO/Metrolinx telling CP where to go.

I think Scarberiankhatru is right. Despite the highways and the creek, there is a ton of land surrounding Sherway with development potential. It's a lot more vast in person than on google maps. Not only around the mall itself, but even along streets like Evans, Browns Line, North Queen, West Mall, and the Queensway. Any westward extension of the subway that omits Sherway would be insane. I wonder if Metrolinx is looking at the possibility.

I wonder if Metrolinx is looking at the possibility.

Everything is on the table, as long as it is sustainable over time.

The real question is "where does it rank on the list of priorities?"

I think Scarberiankhatru is right. Despite the highways and the creek, there is a ton of land surrounding Sherway with development potential. It's a lot more vast in person than on google maps. Not only around the mall itself, but even along streets like Evans, Browns Line, North Queen, West Mall, and the Queensway. Any westward extension of the subway that omits Sherway would be insane. I wonder if Metrolinx is looking at the possibility.

And it's not like there's anything other than industrial properties and ravines and trailer parks along Dundas east of Dixie. The main reason why an extension beyond the East Mall *must* go to Sherway is the mall...any area can be redeveloped into a Tridelfest of condos but regional malls are a rare species. There's nothing wrong with just extending it to East Mall, though, since an extension that's potentially too-short is still better than an extension in the wrong place.

On the list of priorities, it's about 70 spaces above a streetcar on Morningside.

Unfortunately, it still seems like this will be a station next to the LIUNA station. Passengers won't actually be entering the historic building.

Once this RTP is released, we need to form a group to lobby for the full implementation of the bold plan, some of the road pricing ideas, and the passing of legislation that will enshrine the plan, and its funding into law.

Would anyone be interested in doing something such as this? I'm sure that between several of us, all with our different backgrounds and such, we could be successful if we try.

?

Well VIA Rail won't be making a stop in Hamilton, they'll further continue to ignore Hamilton.

Via Rail has no plan for LIUNA stop

March 28, 2008
By Katie Mercer
Special to The Hamilton Spectator

Plans to offer Via Rail passenger train service at Hamilton’s LIUNA station are off the tracks.

“The James Street location just isn’t conducive to us to serve our customers, so we will continue to serve the Hamilton area through Aldershot and Grimsby,†said Via Rail spokesperson Catherine Kaloutsky.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger said he was surprised by the statement.

“My earlier indication would be that Via would have interest if GO would have interest. It’s a bit of a surprise that they’re not prepared to consider it.â€

GO Transit CEO Gary McNeil said that they will continue with plans to open a second station at LIUNA, supplementing daily train service from the existing TH&B Hunter Street GO Station and opening up the region to Niagara.

The province on Tuesday allocated $3 million to building a platform and ticket kiosk at LIUNA Station to encourage all-day GO service to the city.

Yeah, I had a feeling that this would be an Amshack. What a way to enter a city of 700,000.

Hamilton itself only has 500,000, but still, a VIA hut is even unacceptable for a town one twentieth the size. Have you ever been to Depew, the replacement for the Buffalo Central Terminal?

Well, that certainly came out of nowhere. I was under the impression that a James North Via station was a given. Guess not.

Back