News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That last photo of St. James before Market Square, and the second photo in this thread showing the bleak aerial view of of the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood amaze me. I keep going back to them again and again. To think that these photos were taken in my own lifetime, or perhaps only a year or two before I was born, is astonishing.

I think it's valuable to look back on this when we are discouraged about the development of the city, or things like the snails pace progress of the waterfront redevelopment. Change does happen, and while it seems slow to us, a few years or decades is really not that long in the greater scheme of things. The SLM area is now my favourite part of downtown and I can't envision living in another part of the city.

While I agree it is a shame that any beautiful Victorian buildings had to be torn down, I have to say that Berczy Park and St. James Park both add a lot to the area. Plenty of Victorian architecture does still remain. While nothing is perfect, clearly many more good choices were made during the redevelopment of this area than bad choices.

The St Lawrence Centre was supposed to be a neighbourhood-wide project of arts studios, rehearsal and performance halls, and galleries--sort of like the Place des Arts in Montreal. Unfortunately, redevelopment momentum being what it is in TO, only the St Lawrence and O'Keefe Centres were built.

That first photo is really depressing. What event was happening in those photos? People allowed into a construction site? Wow, times have definitely changed!

The 1959 visit from the Queen, I believe.
Helllooo
f1257_s1057_it4986.jpg

Re: Queen Elizabeth visits. In 1973 or thereabouts, her open car came down Avenue Road about 8pm on a summer evening. Everyone rushed there when the radio said she had left the airport. The motorcade traveled about 40km/hr - slow enough for folks to get a good look.

I love this picture of one of the Queen's visits from the Globe & Mail archives: is it the car, the old Globe Building or her hat?

globebuilding.jpg

It's too bad the building across from the Sony Centre wasn't kept around. It would've been a nice contrast.

Back