News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

The "Government Park" at the base of the hill atop which sits the Korean Pavilion would be an excellent relocation if the whole could be developed into a formal Korean Garden -- adding to the River Valley's themed parks.

The cost difference between demolition and repurposing is definitely less than the historical and architectural value of the building. This is the wrong choice, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise.

I think the main problem is we haven't really had any compelling public use ideas put forward by any level of government. The best idea I'd heard was an Indigenous Culture Centre, but from what I understand most of that community would rather something purpose built rather than a repurposed colonial building, but that is hearsay. It also wouldn't surprise me if influential Glenora residents were making it known to the province that they didn't want anything that would draw people to "their" community.

The cost difference between demolition and repurposing is definitely less than the historical and architectural value of the building. This is the wrong choice, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise.

I think the main problem is we haven't really had any compelling public use ideas put forward by any level of government. The best idea I'd heard was an Indigenous Culture Centre, but from what I understand most of that community would rather something purpose built rather than a repurposed colonial building, but that is hearsay. It also wouldn't surprise me if influential Glenora residents were making it known to the province that they didn't want anything that would draw people to "their" community.
Yeah, any sort of repurposing for recreation, education, or an attractional amenity that drives traffic will get major pushback. Or God forbid housing higher than 2 stories :)

For those like myself looking for a nostalgia trip upon reading that announcement, you can use Google Streetview to go through the RAM as it was in 2012.

Note: it's admittedly clunky and frustrating to use and most of the smaller print text on the displays is illegible.

Yeah, any sort of repurposing for recreation, education, or an attractional amenity that drives traffic will get major pushback. Or God forbid housing higher than 2 stories :)
I’m pretty sure that site includes the hill and the park west of Grout Road at the end of River Valley Road which could provide additional - and in some respects better - access than 102 Avenue. Imagine a “figure 8” loop through the River Valley with the Funicular in the middle, this at the west end and Louise McKinney Park and the Quarters at the east end…

Back