News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

• Thread starter Christopher DeWolf
  • Start date
C

Christopher DeWolf

i decided to deviate from the one-thread-a-month approach i've been taking since the summer and create something of a themed phototour. last week i took some time to visit three distinct montreal neighbourhoods, each located in different parts of the city. these aren't comprehensive tours; they're just brief glimpses of each area on a winter day.

feel free to post questions or comments about each neighbourhood.

côte-des-neiges

located a few miles northwest of downtown, on the other side of mount royal, côte-des-neiges and a large and varied neighbourhood containing montreal's largest university, several other schools and colleges, some big hospitals and plenty of distinct areas. i focused on the central area near the côte-des-neiges metro station.

cdn01.JPG

cdn02.JPG

cdn03.JPG

cdn04.JPG

cdn05.JPG

cdn06.JPG

cdn07.JPG

cdn08.JPG

cdn09.JPG

cdn10.JPG

cdn11.JPG

cdn12.JPG

cdn13.JPG

cdn14.JPG

cdn15.JPG

cdn16.JPG

cdn17.JPG

cdn18.JPG

cdn19.JPG

cdn20.JPG

cdn21.JPG

cdn22.JPG

rosemont

rosemont is a big, sleepy neighbourhood in the east end of montreal, about four to five miles from downtown. it has two main points of interest: a small commercial district around molson park, in the upper part of the neighbourhood, and another commercial district down the hill in an area known as old rosemont.

r01.JPG

r02.JPG

r03.JPG

r04.JPG

r05.JPG

r06.JPG

r07.JPG

r08.JPG

r09.JPG

r10.JPG

r11.JPG

r12.JPG

r13.JPG

r14.JPG

r15.JPG

r16.JPG

r17.JPG

r18.JPG

r18.JPG

downtown west end

the downtown west end (sometimes known as the concordia ghetto, and not to be confused with the west end) is located to the west of montreal's main midtown retail and office core and about a mile and a half northwest of the financial district. its eastern reaches are home to concordia university, which is responsible for much of the neighbourhood's flavour.

w02.JPG

w03.JPG

w04.JPG

w05.JPG

w06.JPG

w07.JPG

w08.JPG

w09.JPG

w10.JPG

w12.JPG

w13.JPG

w14.JPG

w15.JPG

w16.JPG

w17.JPG

w18.JPG

w19.JPG

w20.JPG

w21.JPG

w22.JPG

w23.JPG

w24.JPG

Thanks for the tour.

Any idea what is happening/has happened to the old Seville cinema site just east of the (gulp) Pepsi forum place?

Just before Christmas I was in Montreal and I think I briefly visited some of those areas.

Regardless I must compliment you on your photos. They're always so full of character and life. I'm sure the photogenic nature of Montreal helps, but much kudos to you for always delivering these wonderful picture threads.

thanks!

bizorky, unfortunately, nothing is happening right now. it's owned by the bronfmans (of seagram fame) and apparently they had some grand plans to turn it into an eco-friendly condo and retail development, but those fell through for various reasons.

the seville block really drags the whole area around it down. in theory, that part of the neighbourhood should be thriving: it's right next to a metro station, a major bus terminus, a mall and a big entertainment complex, not to mention in the midst of a dense residential area. but the two blocks of ste-catherine between fort street and the forum are kind of seedy.

Great tour...as always!

Funny idea, never seen/heard of this before...
r11.JPG

^Those driveway covers are huge in Quebec. Cross the border into Ontario and they vanish - which makes me wonder if there are some legal questions involved.

Christopher DeWolf,

That's too bad about the former Seville cinema and the block it is on. It's been closed and abandoned for about two decades, now. It used to be a fantastic rep house with a huge screen.

I am surprised it still is standing. A while back part of the upper wall fell (something like thirteen years ago or so).

Those driveway covers are common in rural and small town ontario. Drive north west of K-W and London and you'll see them.

Chris, your photos of mtl are so inspiring. If i spoke french, i'd be there tomorrow (jobs are hard to get for us rednecks.) I love those 50's modern lowrise apartment blocks in cdn. Cdn always stood out for me as the having the best metro stops in north america--udmontreal, parc etc have got to have the sexiest, best dressed women in north america! I've come to believe udm is the best university in canada.

Sadly, I never saw h-m or rosemont etc. I'd love to see griffintown, the new boutiques in old mtl, and st denis (esp. the uqam ghetto) again. Oh and if you want to see something different, check out the schmatte zone on chabenel (my old office was located there.) Queen Mary is kinda neat too.

One day you might just snap my future home.

Great photographs as always. I have not been to Mtl in several years but I recognized a couple of the street views in the Cote des Neiges neighbourhood.

thanks for the comments.

bizorky: i know that some municipalities/boroughs in montreal prohibit the tempo covers. if you go to some streets in the inner suburbs, where there are lots of postwar triplexes, you'll see entire blocks lined by them. it's almost comical.

baldwin, i haven't been to the chabanel street schmatta district. i'll go one day, though. griffintown will be unrecognizable in ten years with so much condo construction; old montreal has improved significantly in the past five years with new condo projects and a more residential feel. hochelaga-maisonneuve is really undergoing some interesting changes, too. last time i was there i was absolutely shocked by how many small condo projects are going up there. they aren't big individually, but they're having a huge impact on the neighbourhood. already a large new supermarket has opened in the ground floor of a converted loft building and most of the neighbourhood's vacant lots have been filled.

Yes, I've been thinking h-m will be the next plateau. Give it 5-10 years. Even though i love Outremont, I've been debating buying in h-m instead. Maybe i'll live in the former, and invest in the latter. Hmm. Lotta cool artist friends of mine live in those historic (used to be abandoned) warehouses in h-m.

I lived in old mtl for years before it became trendy. I love the area; but ultimately i crave year-round accessability, street life etc that old mtl still can't deliver. (So my investment firm will be located here. ha.)

hochelaga-maisonneuve is definitely a booming place for the arts. i don't know if there will be a "next plateau" for at least a few more years, though.

Back