News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Mr. Minnan-Wong said he was speaking for himself and the mayor when he called the plan a “massive, backdoor tax increase,†that would hurt seniors, young families and the city’s economy.

Has Minnan-Wong gong crazy(er). How could anyone possibly argue that building these lines would hurt Toronto's economy. This has got to be the single stupidest thing I've heard all year.

I wonder, if this does get approved by Council, how much more pressure this will place on Metrolinx to come up with a financing plan. People seem to be finally waking up to the fact that if we want transit, we actually have to PAY for it. Let's hope Metrolinx strikes while the iron is hot, because I can see the 2014 municipal elections dampening any chance of a rational debate on this, just when we seem to be coming to our senses.

I think king is still the best place for the DRL... by far. though i do think it should drop down to the rail yards past spadina.

I agree, well King Stn connection but under Wellington, for the triple connection (King, Union, St. Andrew). And another poster mentioned earlier (I forget exactly who it was, and I apologize) that Metrolinx has already stated that one of their options for addressing capacity issues at Union is a DRL West, with some GO lines terminating at Bathurst and then having a DRL into downtown from there. I wonder if the termination at Yonge was done on purpose, to get Metrolinx to build the DRL further west.

It should also be noted that one of the amendments that was made during the transit marathon session was to direct staff to study the potential for extending the Bloor-Danforth Subway to STC, and possibly beyond. In fact, all of the items that were listed as "for further study" are included in this plan:

5. Toronto City Council authorize the Toronto Transit Commission to direct staff to enter into discussions with Metrolinx to study the future feasibility of the following transit projects:

- Extension of the TTC Sheppard Subway line westward from the current Sheppard Station to the current Downsview Station, thereby relieving ridership pressure off of the eastern portion of the Yonge-University-Spadina Subway line.

- Extension of the Sheppard LRT to end at the Toronto Zoo.

- Extension of the TTC Bloor-Danforth Subway line from Kennedy Subway Station north-eastward to the Scarborough Town Centre.

- Extension of the Eglinton Crosstown line from Jane to Pearson Airport including a study of its alignment.

- The construction of a Downtown Relief Line.

(Source: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewPublishedReport.do?function=getCouncilMinutesReport&meetingId=6146)

This is a very ambitious project, as well as a much-needed project. This would help relieve traffic congestion, as well as provide much needed infrastructure for years to come, as delaying any project would become more expensive over time.

However, I am willing to pay extra to make this come true.

This plan pre-empts Rob Ford's Subways Subways Subways re-election bid. While Ford will be calling for Subways during the 2014 election, Stintz or whoever will be vying to kick him off the Mayor's chair can also fight for subways while calling Ford's unicorn tears subway dream toothless with no plans to pay for it. Anybody with an ounce of perception of reality will call bullshit on Ford's dream and realize that subways in this city will require somebody to pay for them. If this were an LRT vs Subways election, Ford might just win but Stintz & Co. are making this a Subways with money to pay for them vs Subways with no plan. Ford will lose.

I'm relieved.

The Etobicoke Express and Scarborough Express Lines are different colours then the other new subway lines. I know that the lines are running along rail corridors but do we know if these lines will be subways or something else? Its not exactly clear what they are in the articles or maps.

its not $180 for 4 years, its $180 for 30 years.

Which is not nearly enough. Even if the province paid half of this (the feds will not pay a share) the true cost to Toronto families would be more like $1800/yr for 30 years.

The real question is, if this ever gets support, which project would they truly build with their limited funds? Will it be the DRL, or are we going back to the Scarborough subway battle again?

So the extended BD won't even reach STC but use McCowan? Massive failure and terrible mistake. The zoo doesn't need an LRT connection. Admission prices keep people away from the zoo not packed buses. Heck the more eastern stretch of Sheppard doesn't need an LRT if there will be a subway there now - the busy section of Sheppard is west of Midland. I don't know how much of the westward expansion of Sheppard will relieve congestion on Yonge but it will have lower ridership that an eastward expansion. I can only surmise that allowing an eastward expansion would be viewed as a loss of sorts to Ford and Stintz and DeBaermaker want to avoid that. Remember than even Andy Byford said that Sheppard East would be a good investment. It's going to have to be a subway at some point in the next half century so why not just get it done right now?

Back