waterloowarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/budget/ontariobudgets/2009/

income taxes on lowest bracket go from 6.05 to 5.05%

from the Star
Tax cuts and rebates highlight free-spending budget

TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO
Ontario has taken the lion’s share of job losses in Canada.
March 26, 2009
RICHARD J. BRENNAN
OTTAWA BUREAU
The Liberal government released a big-spending budget today featuring the largest deficit in Ontario history and a new blended sales tax that will make everyone's wallet a little lighter.

In an attempt to fight the recession, the government is rolling out record infrastructure spending of $27.5 billion plus $5 billion from Ottawa to create jobs, more than $10 billion in tax cuts and a couple of billion dollars more in sales tax rebates.

Much of the budget had already been telegraphed in an attempt to dull the pain, but critics cautioned that the worst is yet to come as the province struggles under the weight of a $123.6 billion debt.

Finance Minister Dwight Duncan's whopping deficit of $14.1 billion – or $1,076.90 for every man, woman and child – eclipsed the long-held red ink record held by former Ontario NDP Treasurer Floyd Laughren of $12.4 billion in 1993.

"The state of the economy is something we take very seriously. The people who have lost their jobs, the communities that are suffering need this kind of response," an emotional Duncan told reporters.

"Returning Ontario to a balanced budget will take time and require tough decisions," said Duncan in the budget speech in which he promised to start tackling the deficit after 2010-11.

Critics immediately seized on the budget as being "worthless" for people trying to cope with the recession, described the harmonized sales tax as a "massive tax increase" and accused the Liberals of trying to buy off voters with their own money, referring to planned sales tax rebates for 93 per cent of Ontarians.

The provincial sales tax of 8 per cent will be married to the 5 per cent GST as of July 1, 2010.

The 13 per cent tax will be applied to many items not taxed now – from Big Macs to McMansions – but the government insists that other tax breaks totalling $10.6 billion will more than offset the consumer tax increase.

"This package of tax reductions for Ontario individuals and families and business is the right package for Ontario ... I think Ontarians will understand that," Duncan said.

There will be some exemptions, such as children's clothing, feminine hygiene products and books, but the 13 per cent will be applied for the first time on things like homes of more than $400,000, heating fuel, gasoline, tobacco, taxis, golf green fees and landscaping, newspapers and magazines, gym membership, veterinarian fees and even vitamins.

"Let's be clear, overall provincial government revenue would not increase as a result of this reform package," Duncan said in his speech.

"The single tax would make Ontario more competitive and cuts paperwork costs for businesses by more than $500 million a year," he said.

To soften the blow to consumers, the government is handing out up to $1,000 in three payments beginning June 2010 to every family with an income below $160,000. A single earner making less than $80,000 a year will receive three cheques worth $300.

This cash giveaway will cost $2.7 billion in 2010-11 and $1.3 billion in 2011-12 all of which is being totally covered off by transfer from the federal government.

Interim Conservative Leader Bob Runciman summed up the budget in one word: "worthless."

"This budget is worthless for Ontarians looking for help to get through the recession, it's worthless to taxpayers struggling to pay for Dalton McGuinty's uncontrolled spending and it is worthless to the future of our great province which will be saddled with the biggest debt and deficit in its history," Runciman told reporters.

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said a tax hike is the last thing that Ontario residents need right now.

"As Ontario families worry about their jobs, savings and pensions, Dalton McGuinty is going to whack families with a tax hike instead of providing them with relief," she said.

"Ontarians are going to be worse off every single day and every single week under this budget."

The government proposes $4.5 billion in tax cuts for businesses over three years and increasing the annual child tax benefit for low-income families to $1,100 from $600 as of July.

Among other things, the budget calls for infrastructure spending totalling $32.5 billion for hospitals, roads, social housing and schools, which the government estimates will create 300,000 jobs.

"Devastating job losses are hitting many Ontario families hard. In my hometown, Windsor, I have witnessed first-hand friends and neighbours cope with job loss," Duncan said.

The budget sets aside $3.2 billion for the ailing auto sector but details on how much money will go to which companies have yet to be worked out.

Other details include:

- A 100 per cent tax write-off for new computers for manufacturers and small businesses;

- Freezing MPPs' pay for one year;

- Creating 100,000 summer jobs for students this year;

- Cutting the 68,645-strong public service by 5 per cent over three years through attritions;

- A new $130 million fund to support business and workers in the agriculture, forest products and mining industries over the next three years;

- $700 million over the next two years for skills training and literacy initiatives as well as enhancement to existing programs.

how likely is that metrolinx plan now?

spending on infrastructure
2009-2010 - 2010-2011
Transit 1,687.1 1,505.9
Highway Construction 1,718.3 2,034.2

doh

Last edited:
A Bird in the Hand is worth 2 Ontario Budgets

No surprises here, but let's take a quick glance anyway. Anything positive for this taxpayer? Let's see...no, no, no and no. And more to pay to boot.

mcguinty-cp-3724905.jpg
flip-the-bird.jpg

Back at 'ya Dalton

Only the lowest bracket. Cheers to those who it helps but I'm not one of 'em.

Only the lowest bracket. Cheers to those who it helps but I'm not one of 'em.

Wouldn`t you pay less income tax on the first 36,000 or so of your income?

Income taxes are going down, corporate taxes are going down, rebates to low income families are going up, the public sector is being made more efficient... but all many people can focus on is the HST, a necessary form of tax reform promoted by the federal government and implemented successfully in other provinces and around the world.

5.05%.

Would it have killed them to make it 5% even? And the higher rates still seem to be 9.15% and 11.16%. How much would it cost them just to make it 5%, 9%, and 11%?

5.05%.

Would it have killed them to make it 5% even? And the higher rates still seem to be 9.15% and 11.16%. How much would it cost them just to make it 5%, 9%, and 11%?

That costs money. What would you give up for nice round numbers?

July 2010? I wish they moved faster on that. They should have pulled off the HST by end of 09. The switchover would have resulted in companies hiring a few accountants and cash register programmers and the long term savings would have to come into effect sooner. Surely it shouldn't take 5 quarters to pull off a change like this.

Overall, a 'B' for the Budget

ON Taxes

Good:

A reduction in income tax for those in the lowest bracket

Excellent:

The long overdue harmonization of the sales tax; this would have been a huge help to Ontario's beleaguered manufacturer's the last 2 years.

It will make Ontario made goods more competitive (cheaper) both domestically and internationally.

So/So:

The lack of an increase to the Basic Personal Amount (exemption) is unfortunate. Applying income tax to someone making as little as $11,000 a year makes no sense, since clearly they will require government programs/assistance just to survive. Why not scale back those programs by vastly increasing the threshold at which taxes first kick in. The key, of course is, that most 11K earners will still need gov't help; but if we could stop taking over 1k away from a typical 20k earner, maybe they wouldn't need other forms of help.

While we're at it, they should harmonize the provincial and federal income tax brackets. That would be a really nice simplification of tax forms and make tax system more efficient and understandable. (Of course, to be fair to McGuinty, no Provinical premier wants do this, because the way the Federal Brackets are structured, rates would have to rise on some earners, though their total tax payout would not)

ON Reducing Poverty

Good: The minimum wage continues to rise, as planned (though this was previously announced, to $9.50 per hour on March 31, and $10.25 a year later.

So/So: The increase in the Ontario Child Benefit. While this does provide some modest help to the 'working poor' who are raising kids; to me its an inefficient way of helping out.

The poor can largely be divided ( I know I'm over simplifying) into the working and the non-working.

In the case of the former; the big helps are a higher minimum wage; and lower personal taxes.

In the case of the latter; there 2 discrete issues, getting people more work; but also giving them emergency assistance while un-employed or under employed. In that case, I favour just bringing social assistance rates up to a more reasonable level. The idea that anyone (without kids) can come even remotely close to getting by on $550.00 a month (for everything) is absurd. By paying so little, you trigger the need for more expensive programs like public housing, which could be substantially cut back, if only people got enough to pay a super cheap rent for a basement apartment. An extra $300.00 a month for an O-W recipient is a lot cheaper than giving them a subsidized apartment, built by the taxpayer at rent subsidy that averages closer to $500.00 per month.

Transit/Infrastructure

Bad: This is the most disappointing part of the budget, I am distressed that they will spend more on highways than transit.

Overall, a B for an important and overdue Sales Tax Reform, and some decent poverty reduction efforts.

Wouldn`t you pay less income tax on the first 36,000 or so of your income?

Income taxes are going down, corporate taxes are going down, rebates to low income families are going up, the public sector is being made more efficient... but all many people can focus on is the HST, a necessary form of tax reform promoted by the federal government and implemented successfully in other provinces and around the world.

You're right--it will help a bit on the first 36,000, but I don't see why they cut it off there. They could have at least gone to the second level where a lot of his middle class support lies. So I save $300 a year but pay it all back and then some in increased heating costs, goods and services etc. due to the HST.

As far as the success of the HST elsewhere goes, did the taxpayers have much of a choice in places where the HST has been implemented? I wonder how many HSTs came directly out of campaign promises or referendums. They might be a "success" because they are still around but I wonder what the population thinks.

It just ticks me off because I know it's going to cost me in the end, and continue to do so for years to come just as the GST has.

I love this one, though--an opportunity lost as the nanny state saves us from ourselves once again:

No tax break for drinkers

Last edited:
I read a study saying the HST was successful in Atlantic Canada by a U of T prof (although I think it was published by CD Howe).

I like McGuinty for the planning reforms and fixes of Harris mistakes, but I hate his 'nanny state' attitude sometimes... as for the budget, I usually vote Conservative federally and these are tax policies straight out of Flaherty's playbook.

article from the Toronto Star that may be helpful

Daw: What the budget means to you
Mar 26, 2009 05:11 PM
Be the first to comment on this article...
JAMES DAW
BUSINESS COLUMNIST
Ontario will take with one hand and give back with another when it joins with Ottawa to collect one big sales tax.

In the end, Finance Minister Dwight Duncan says most of us - 93 per cent -- will have slightly more in our pockets and small businesses. But it will be difficult for the average taxpayer to track what's going on.

We will still pay 13 per cent on most purchases — 8% provincial sales tax plus 5% federal. Bu, starting in July of next year, we will also pay 13 per cent on items that now attract only the federal goods and services tax.

We will pay more for fuel for our homes and cars, for electricity, professional services and new homes costing more than $500,000, but not on certain items like auto insurance and children's clothes.

When fully implemented, Ontario's cut of the new tax will raise $2.3 billion a year more than the $17.5 billion collected from the provincial sales tax last year.

Meanwhile other tax cuts announced yesterday would save individuals and families $2.4 billion. During the next couple of years we will receive temporary sales tax refunds the opposition parties call a pre-election bribe.

Starting in January, Ontario's lowest income tax rate will be cut by 1 percentage point to 5.05 per cent, and we will see less deducted from pay cheques right away.

The most anyone will save is $280 a year on incomes between $36,848 and about $60,000, says accountant Paul Hickey of KPMG. On higher incomes a revised provincial surtax will start to reduce the potential savings by as much as $40.

To smooth our ruffled feathers over the change in sales tax, we will get three cheques in the mail six months apart starting in June of next year. The three cheques will add up to a total of $300 for single persons and $1,000 for single parents and couples.

Additional tax relief will be targeted at low-income taxpayers through a new Ontario sales tax credit worth up to $260 per adult and child, and to low and middle-income taxpayers through an Ontario property tax credit worth up to $250 to $900 for non-seniors and $625 to $1,025 to seniors.

Hickey warns that the change in sale tax will hit financial service companies to such an extent that they may pass on the cost through higher fees and service charges.

Other businesses that charge sales tax will be able to claim a credit that spares them from bearing the cost of sales tax on their input costs. For example, it is estimated builders will be able to reduce the cost of new homes by 2 to 3 per cent, partially offsetting the impact of the sales tax on consumers spending more than $500,000 on a new home.

Other budget proposals will also have an impact on personal finances:

-Starting in 2010 a seniors' homeowner property tax grant will be doubled to a maximum of $500.

- Former members of pension plans will be permitted to access up to 50 per cent of locked-in life income funds effective next January, and for two years fees will be waived for those applying to access funds on grounds of hardship. Ontario now only permits 25 per cent to be withdrawn, with lesser maximum withdrawals after that one-time withdrawal

- The law will be changed to permit holders of the new tax-free savings accounts to designate a beneficiary and avoid having probate fees on the transfer to an heir.

- Amendments will permit employers - mainly in the public sector - to offer phased retirements. Employees would be permitted to work part-time and continue to earn pension credits while collecting a partial pension.

- The province will conduct the first actuarial projection study of the stability and financial strength of its Pension Benefits Guarantee Fund, which is currently in deficit and therefore not liable to pay any claims.

That was helpful, though it confirms the 1% tax savings resulting in a small actual benefit, and will be more than offset by this line: "We will pay more for fuel for our homes and cars, for electricity, professional services..." There are a few decent bones thrown in elsewhere, but overall I don't like where its going.

Well, so what money is being spent on Highways, its badly needed in some areas of this province. I know Sudbury most be gleaming because some of that money is going to be going towards the Maley Drive Extension, a major road that will finally get the mining trucks out of the city, and possibly the barrydowne extension - another badly needed road in the city to act as an alternate access point into the Valley. Its finally time for the province to help fix the mistake of a city that covers some 3200 square kms....

July 2010? I wish they moved faster on that. They should have pulled off the HST by end of 09. The switchover would have resulted in companies hiring a few accountants and cash register programmers and the long term savings would have to come into effect sooner. Surely it shouldn't take 5 quarters to pull off a change like this.

The HST is going to hurt tonnes of small businesses, like the one I'm working in. We used to only charge our customers GST, but guess what? Our prices are about to go up.

Back