News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think far too much public time, money and effort is put into vehicle licence plates as some sort of government vanity project. It is just a registration identifier and I'm not sure why we choose to bling it up. Identifiers for most other forms of transportation, such as vessels, aircraft, etc. are simply a string of characters.

Couldn't agree more–if you ask me, it was a waste of money. Was this something you had to pay for? I'm old school, and I don't mind my plain Jane license plate. Remember those faulty defective plates that they created a while back (melting madness), to replace those, will they be given the new (festive) plates in this case? Or does* anyone know?

Last edited:
The whole license plate debacle seemed to me like the Ford gov't wanting to make a mark; a way for them to say, "we/I did this". But no surprise, it was a colossal fail. The original license plate might have been bland and unchanged for decades, but it was absolutely fine and actually did it's job. Was there any numbers as to how much they spent on that blue license plate crap and then having to revert it back? I recall Ford saying it was going to be 3M's cost to bear but that seems like a load of BS to me.

The new plates were a disaster for readability. I find them incredibly hard to read at night.

Most licence plates around the world are generic. Who decided that a licence plate should be some sort of advertisement anyway?

Most licence plates around the world are generic. Who decided that a licence plate should be some sort of advertisement anyway?
Tell that to Nunavut:

1024px-Nunavut_license_plate_1999_bear_design.jpg

Note that the Northwest Territories also has the polar bear-shaped plates.

Tell that to Nunavut:

Nunavut went to the generic rectangular shape in or around 2012.

1617210917256.png

I actually saw one in town a couple of years ago on a minivan. Part of me wanted to track down the owner and ask him how he got it here and, given the cost, why.

Tell that to Nunavut:

Although this may be within the shape of a polar bear, it's very readable.

First impression: "Hey, it's a bear!"
"Yeah, and would you look at that, it looks like a license plate!"
"Can you make out the number/letters?"
"Heck yeah 'eh!"

I do like the creativity along with simplicity–makes my heart melt.

so guy comes to Canada , he co-owns a business , has a high standard of living , rights & freedoms protected under the law , and he can't sleep at night because of the Ontario Flag , talk about first world problems 🤣 , think about all the people living in 3rd world countries that would love to change places with him
life is great in Canada , if these are the problems people are having in Canada

so guy comes to Canada , he co-owns a business , has a high standard of living , rights & freedoms protected under the law , and he can't sleep at night because of the Ontario Flag , talk about first world problems 🤣 , think about all the people living in 3rd world countries that would love to change places with him
life is great in Canada , if these are the problems people are having in Canada
You think you're funny, but you aren't.

He can't sleep because people are threatening him, not because of the flag. You and I, would be concerned if people were openly hostile to my existence in Canada over my opinions too.

You think you're funny, but you aren't.

He can't sleep because people are threatening him, not because of the flag. You and I, would be concerned if people were openly hostile to my existence in Canada over my opinions too.
yes obviously the people threatening him are idiots as well and are in the wrong,
but that's not the point, you know i was referring to him not being able to sleep before even creating the petition as a sign of first world problems

Last edited:
not literally not being able to sleep , you missed the joke. when your biggest problem is a provincial flag , your life is going well

and the design of a provincal flag is obviously not stoping him from being successful in Canada
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree over the "humor" of the situation. And it's not like I particularly care about the flag either way.

Back