News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I believe the rough map MX had showing the potential alignments for RL North had it going along the midtown rail corridor after Science Centre station for at least some of the alignment, and then the first station on Vic Park was at Lawrence.
That map is the very first post of this thread. Option 5? My favourite was Option 3, and take over the Richmond Hill line north of Lawrence.

img_7357-jpg.140666

So any updates on this?

No.

And as noted by others, it will be awhile.

First, there are multiple announced projects to get under way (ie. Yonge North}

Then, there's stuff already in queue (Waterfront East LRT)

Then there's what's in queue for detailed planning (Sheppard).

OL North is at some point after that.

Barring a rather large surprise, don't expect to hear anything before @Undead lends the Premier some crayons in a few years time; even then.........it will be awhile, don't let your dinner get cold.

No.

And as noted by others, it will be awhile.

First, there are multiple announced projects to get under way (ie. Yonge North}

Then, there's stuff already in queue (Waterfront East LRT)

Then there's what's in queue for detailed planning (Sheppard).

OL North is at some point after that.

Barring a rather large surprise, don't expect to hear anything before @Undead lends the Premier some crayons in a few years time; even then.........it will be awhile, don't let your dinner get cold.
Just to add to that post we also have EGW LRT Extension to the Airport and EG East LRT Extension in the queue that are likely ahead of the OLN.

@Northern Light Do you think so as well? or am I off a bit?

The earliest I see an announcement would be 2026 during the elections to entice voters and say that is his next priority. Mind you the OL N extension will be much simpler as it is above ground so will not require substancial funding.

Just to add to that post we also have EGW LRT Extension to the Airport and EG East LRT Extension in the queue that are likely ahead of the OLN.

@Northern Light Do you think so as well? or am I off a bit?

The earliest I see an announcement would be 2026 during the elections to entice voters and say that is his next priority. Mind you the OL N extension will be much simpler as it is above ground so will not require substancial funding.

I think the Airport connection is definitely high in the queue.

Eglinton East is very problematic given its terrible business case at the moment. It may get pushed ahead; but I'm not sure it should be.

I would definitely rank the O/L north as higher than Eglinton East.

IF you really wanted to serve UTSC better, I think BRT/LRT connecting to an extended Sheppard Subway at McCowan (or the SSE in the nearer term) would be the way to go, along w/the BRT along Ellesmere Road.

Last edited:

Eglinton East is very problematic given its terrible business case at the moment. It may get pushed ahead; but I'm not sure it should be.

IF you really wanted to serve UTSC better, I think BRT/LRT connecting to an extended Sheppard Subway at McCowan (or the SSE in the nearer term) would be the way to go, along w/the BRT along Markham Road.
I guess the next round of funding will go to Sheppard East and EGW LRT to Airport.

OL N, Waterfront LRT followed by EG LRT East, FW LRT to Airport will be in queue which I guess we can potentially see in Ford's 2026 election pitch.

These 6 projects will not be significantly as expensive as the current 4 so perhaps they all squeeze in. One can wish lol.

I guess the next round of funding will go to Sheppard East and EGW LRT to Airport.

OL N, Waterfront LRT followed by EG LRT East, FW LRT to Airport will be in queue which I guess we can potentially see in Ford's 2026 election pitch.

These 6 projects will not be significantly as expensive as the current 4 so perhaps they all squeeze in. One can wish lol.
Where do you think Finch West LRT East extension and a Sheppard Line 4 West Extension to Sheppard West come in as priorities?

Where do you think Finch West LRT East extension and a Sheppard Line 4 West Extension to Sheppard West come in as priorities?
Pretty sure these are both city priorities, not provincial. Sheppard west certainly is, at least. Finch is in the RTP (while Sheppard west is not iirc), but it’s definitely low on the list regardless. It wasn’t a line the PCs wanted to build in the first place…

As far as I know and could be wrong, but EG LRT East and Finch extension east are under TTC/Toronto control. EG LRT East seem to be down the road for Toronto funding.

The next phase for Finch West will happen after the new Woodbine GO station is in service as well what is the ridership demand is. The last phase to the airport is over a decade away and will only happen once there is a new Transit Hub. This will also effect the Crosstown line extension.

As for the OL north extensions, I can see a number of options for it with the first phase sometime in 2030, but more likely 2040.

Option 1: Extension to Sheppard or Finch with Finch the best Option using Don Mills.

Option 2: Extension to Steele as either an one shot extension which should be the right option to do or from Finch or Sheppard.

Option 3: Extension to Hwy 7.

Option 4: Extension to 16th Ave

Most of the board member will not be around to see all the extension completed at the current rate things get built for transit these days.

As far as I know and could be wrong, but EG LRT East and Finch extension east are under TTC/Toronto control. EG LRT East seem to be down the road for Toronto funding.

The next phase for Finch West will happen after the new Woodbine GO station is in service as well what is the ridership demand is. The last phase to the airport is over a decade away and will only happen once there is a new Transit Hub. This will also effect the Crosstown line extension.

As for the OL north extensions, I can see a number of options for it with the first phase sometime in 2030, but more likely 2040.

Option 1: Extension to Sheppard or Finch with Finch the best Option using Don Mills.

Option 2: Extension to Steele as either an one shot extension which should be the right option to do or from Finch or Sheppard.

Option 3: Extension to Hwy 7.

Option 4: Extension to 16th Ave

Most of the board member will not be around to see all the extension completed at the current rate things get built for transit these days.

Lol Option 4 to 16th Avenue.... I think everyone on this forum will never see this in their lifetime.

IF you really wanted to serve UTSC better, I think BRT/LRT connecting to an extended Sheppard Subway at McCowan (or the SSE in the nearer term) would be the way to go, along w/the BRT along Markham Road.
This is the TTC's fault. They don't want to build this because of some issue with Kennedy Station.

This is the TTC's fault. They don't want to build this because of some issue with Kennedy Station.

No, not really.

The business case looks at net new riders per $ spent, and net reduction in travel time for existing riders. It ranks poorly on the former, largely because it ranks poorly on the latter.

The issue at Kennedy doesn't really affect that. The issue at Kennedy is also because Mx modified its plans for the SSE and didn't fully take into account how any Eglinton East line would be designed.

The TTC can wear its share of blame for any number of things; but this, not so much.

The problem w/the idea is simply that on a surface route, with moderate transit priority and a roughly similar number of stops to the current/proposed 'Rapid TO' route shows next to no improvement in travel time.

To achieve an improvement would require fewer stops and more grade-separation, which in turn would drive the cost higher.

Again, I think you probably get a better result from an Ellesmere BRT (I said Markham Road previously, that was a typo).

There may be a re-think of the options here where it makes sense, but I think its a pretty big re-think.

Back