News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Fare structure is part of the reason STC was adamant they got a subway not a GO branch. There’s plenty of people which also factor in price with their transit service. Yes the RER could be super fast to get to the financial district but at what cost and how much is a transfer if the person doesn’t want to go specifically to the financial district.
It would be far cheaper for the government to offer TTC fare for GO service than to build a 10$ billion subway.

Fare structure is part of the reason STC was adamant they got a subway not a GO branch. There’s plenty of people which also factor in price with their transit service. Yes the RER could be super fast to get to the financial district but at what cost and how much is a transfer if the person doesn’t want to go specifically to the financial district.
I wouldn’t say they didn’t choose the GO option because it’s worse for the communities overall. It was obvious that they and the powers that be wanted a subway; if they were serious about delivering the best transit, alternatives would have been better considered. I guarantee that such a branch would’ve been part of “SmartTrack” and a corresponding fare system to make sure it was as close to a subway as possible.

I wouldn’t say they didn’t choose the GO option because it’s worse for the communities overall. It was obvious that they and the powers that be wanted a subway; if they were serious about delivering the best transit, alternatives would have been better considered. I guarantee that such a branch would’ve been part of “SmartTrack” and a corresponding fare system to make sure it was as close to a subway as possible.
It was a talking point. That’s all I’m saying. The majority of it was the rich elite people have a subway. We want one too. Throw in we hate bike riding latte drinking pinkos and you have a full proof subway campaign

Last edited:
Lawrence.
Lawrence should not be an LRT. We already botched the Eglinton crosstown by making it an LRT. We should protect Lawrence for a high capacity, fully grade separated, high floor, subway.

Lawrence should not be an LRT. We already botched the Eglinton crosstown by making it an LRT. We should protect Lawrence for a high capacity, fully grade separated, high floor, subway.
Eglinton should have been a subway mix underground and elevated like Ontario Line or REM.

Lawrence as an LRT with priority signals could work

Eglinton should have been a subway mix underground and elevated like Ontario Line or REM.

Lawrence as an LRT with priority signals could work
Eglinton isnt a subway mix though. And unless we grade separate the eastern section to make it higher capacity, we need to protect at least one midtown corridor for a high speed crosstown service.

Lawrence can be a street running LRT, but only if Eglinton is totally grade separated.

I promise you riders will act/assume/identify/ect the underground section of the Eglinton crosstown the exact same way they view any other line 1,2,
And once you get past the golden Mile, the stop spacing is pretty similar anyway...

Eglinton line 5 through Scarborough is only a signal prioritization and crossing gate away from 100% subway like performance, and the cost of putting in a crossing gate and a mind shift in the transportation department is a lot cheaper than a whole new subway.

Eglinton line 5 through Scarborough is only a signal prioritization and crossing gate away from 100% subway like performance, and the cost of putting in a crossing gate and a mind shift in the transportation department is a lot cheaper than a whole new subway.
Unless they fully fence the alignment, you will have all kinds of shenanigans with pedestrians, etc. crossing the track. I think this will lead to speed limits stricter than could be achieved with proper grade separation.

Unless they fully fence the alignment, you will have all kinds of shenanigans with pedestrians, etc. crossing the track. I think this will lead to speed limits stricter than could be achieved with proper grade separation.

Exactly. From a legal standpoint, you have to operate more cautiously in operating environments with potential jaywalkers and non-grade separated intersections.

Even if the golden mile sections operates like a glorified street car the majority of the route will be quite speedy. A lot of those riders will be transferring at the Ontario line station. the big mistake was the Leslie station and I don’t know how they fix that.

Even if the golden mile sections operates like a glorified street car the majority of the route will be quite speedy. A lot of those riders will be transferring at the Ontario line station. the big mistake was the Leslie station and I don’t know how they fix that.
Line 5 will be hampered by longer dwell times due to the layout and door compromises of using low floor LRVs. I'm not sure how they will handle the issues that come up from the surface section causing disruption to the underground section. Padding at the transition? Disconnect the two segments operationally?

Imagine the service disruptions on the underground portion caused by a vehicle collision on the surface section. They can short turn at the transition, but that may take some time to coordinate.

Line 5 will be hampered by longer dwell times due to the layout and door compromises of using low floor LRVs. I'm not sure how they will handle the issues that come up from the surface section causing disruption to the underground section. Padding at the transition? Disconnect the two segments operationally?

Imagine the service disruptions on the underground portion caused by a vehicle collision on the surface section. They can short turn at the transition, but that may take some time to coordinate.
there are disruptions on the subway system currently with suicides and other random things. You can spend a fortune and nothing is perfect. The west part of this line being grade separated makes the east side stick out. I really did not like the man but the fact is Rob Fords conversion was the best plan after we wanted subways subways subways.

No doubt here, Sheppard West to East appears it will be a subway as it ought to be. But there are certainly rumours LRT is not out of the question for Sheppard somewhere, which implies… something.
I mean, part of the EELRT will be on Sheppard. Between Morningside and McCowan if that is what your referring to. That part was recently added to the plan around last year or so.

1696014710058.png

Back