News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.3K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

They did, but CN abandoned it in the mid-1990s. Rail was still in place north of Old Callander Rd. probably to near where the diamond was but it was badly overgrown and unusable. If any of the old connecting track still exists it would be unusable as well. Seeing as ONR put out the tender for this job, I assume it is now their property.

Earlier you said this. I know I used it while in College, and that was around the late 1990sand early 2000s.

It would not benefit CN at all. As I mentioned, since it is an ONR contract to rebuild this segment (RFQ previously posted) I am only assuming that ONR has title to the property. I don't have a employee timetable or Canadian Trackside Guide but assume that CN property ends at the hard barrier just short (south) of the crossing of Old Callander Rd. CN does not operate north of North Bay and ONR (freight) doesn't operate south of it. Cars are interchanged and respective trains operated by ONR, CN and OVR and built and broken in their adjacent yards.

I stand to be corrected by I'm not aware that the CN Newmarket Sub ever had CTC; I know the ONR didn't. I believe both at one time had Automatic Block Systems but they are now dark and turned and as far as I know, both territories operate under an Occupancy Control System. I don't know if any signaling changes are in the cards because of the return of passenger service. Several VIA trains operate in 'dark territory'.

I don't know either; I am just assuming the connection was in place when the last Northlander operated.

Back