News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They do not. They did not when Peterson promised it in the 1990 election (only politicians mentioned it, GO had not studied it even when the rail corridor was still available). Orillia GO rail service will never happen.
1990 was 31 years ago. Metrolinx was created in 2006, 6 years later. A lot could have happen in 15 years.
You did it without any environmental or planning considerations. And if cost is no object anything could be possible. I could draw a line across from Kempenfelt Bay to Orillia and it would be even less than 17 km. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone suggest burying the line under Barrie until outside city limits. In any case it's too late, the Northlander (or whatever the successor will be named) will never serve Orillia or Barrie again.
You know, even with an EA, the current government is pushing for Highway 413 to be built. As far as I can figure out, it is not good for the environment.

I think it's safe to say we never thought he Northlander would return. It looks like it might.return soon. So, never say never.

This is entertaining in a silly kind of way. The scale isn't great but it looks like the ROW would go right through Midhurst and hit the CP right at Snow Valley.

I vote tunnel the whole way.

Christine - you forgot a grade separation at CR 90.

I suppose anything is possible with unlimited money and personal and business disruptions. For the dollars required they could double track CN Bala from Richmond Hill to Washago.

This is entertaining in a silly kind of way. The scale isn't great but it looks like the ROW would go right through Midhurst and hit the CP right at Snow Valley.

I vote tunnel the whole way.

Christine - you forgot a grade separation at CR 90.

I suppose anything is possible with unlimited money and personal and business disruptions. For the dollars required they could double track CN Bala from Richmond Hill to Washago.

A tunnel would work. However, let's assume they want to future proof it. Imagine building one that can take bilevels, be electrified and be 2 tracks wide. I don't think one in Canada exists that large. Double tracking the Bala sub won't get the Barrie line to Orillia.

I get it -every town and village deserves passenger rail.
It isn't that simple. Just like my ideas aren't that simple, adding service to other places is also not that simple..The reality is, since there is no GO bus service to Orillia, there is likely no future plans of a train to it. However, if they are using the ONR bus, then maybe there is...

^ That's great. Who is Watco again?

I'd not heard of them either. Their website says they operate 5500 miles of track in NA and Australia but the system map of NA doesn't show that much so they must be big in Australia. It seems their only Canadian presence is two switching sites in Alberta.

I noticed on closer reading that Watco has agreed to only buy from Soo to Oba (jct w/CN). I assumed the MOU with the FN group is for them to own/operate the line from Oba to Hearst.

I noticed on closer reading that Watco has agreed to only buy from Soo to Oba (jct w/CN). I assumed the MOU with the FN group is for them to own/operate the line from Oba to Hearst.
I was wondering about that section between Oba and Hurst myself. It was not specifically mentioned in the document.

It is interesting that the section from Oba-Hearst was not mentioned. I assume that CN intends to retain that section to maintain their interchange with ONR. Although Hawk Jct. - Soo has been dormant recently, Oba-Hearst has been active.

It was mentioned on here previously that there is a fair bit of interchange traffic with ONR. If CN were to retain that, it would not only be a stranded operation, it would be counter to their stated goal of divesting non-core assets.

My only assumption is that the FN process was far enough advanced with government(s) and CN that it would have hindered or at least clouded the negotiations. No doubt if the sale goes through the new owners will be well positioned to be the contract operator.

The Oba-Hearst section has been pretty quiet, starting back in the '90s when Algoma Ore shut down, but no doubt the new owners are banking on the ferrochrome refinery being proposed for the Soo.

Back