News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

We know the plan to move was brought up some years before the announcement. It is also entirely possible they knew the future of the building and decided not to do work. But again why keep it quiet at this junction is puzzling.
Probably because they don't want the public to think that they purposely left the bridge to rot.

Not even sure where to put this but it is being discussed there

the Science Centre is closing for good today after a report was published about the roof being close to collapsing

Screenshot_20240621_123944.jpg

Screenshot_20240621_124005.jpg

Presumably this increases the 1.3 billion to stay put (vs just over 1)...the over 50 years thing makes it seem like a bigger deal, also considering the new location is half the size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relevant

the Science Centre is closing for good today
I don't think we know yet if this is a permanent closure.

With the new location being ready in '28, I wonder how this affects the move. Do we speed up (the move) or, we're going to spend money on a temporary fix just to demolish in 4 years, or just have no science centre for 4 years? I imagine some would argue if we're going to spend money on the building, then might as well stay put, but I'm sure that ship has sailed...

This is something I'm not suprised about, but still outraged. The political meddling with Ontario Place and the Science Centre is becoming quite a show, and not a beneficial one for Torontonians.
I haven't been to the Science Centre in years, but thoroughly enjoyed every visit there. I was hoping to visit sometime soon, but that won't be happening it seems. It's a shame because it's a much beloved, well designed institution in the city, whereas this relocation feels forced and messy. (which it is)

As I bring some materials in, I'm going to flag @Paclo and @interchange42 as I think this Science Centre discussion may benefit from being segregated from the OP thread, I will leave that to their wisdom.

In the meantime, here's the press release:

And here is a direct link to the Engineering Report on the OSC roof:

Buildings A-C:

I will read the report when I have time and comment further then, if I have something to add.

As I bring some materials in, I'm going to flag @Paclo and @interchange42 as I think this Science Centre discussion may benefit from being segregated from the OP thread, I will leave that to their wisdom.

Buildings A-C:

I will read the report when I have time and comment further then, if I have something to add.
from the news release:

To ensure families, students and youth can continue to access and benefit from science-based programming and education, Infrastructure Ontario will be releasing a Request for Proposals to help identify a temporary location for the Ontario Science Centre, while work continues to build a new permanent home for the Science Centre at Ontario Place with an opening slated for as early as 2028. The Ontario Science Centre is also exploring opportunities for alternative programming, such as mobile, pop-up experiences and virtual.

LMFAO why not just make that temporary place permanent?

Buildings A-C:

Am I reading this correctly that for ~25MM over a few years (understanding these are only parts and labour costs) to be fixed by Oct 31 we could keep going?

They are estimating roughly 5-6 percent of the roof across all three buildings are critical/high risk?

Doesn't immediately sound like we have to shutter it completely?

Obviously there is lost revenue, but looking for another temporary location for several years is going to cost?? Curious.

Back