News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

"We offer our architectural services pro bono to the Government of Ontario to realize the necessary roof repairs and we encourage the structural and building science community to similarly offer pro bono services for this scope to accomplish the recommended repairs immediately. The offer of our services, combined with funding that has been generously offered by members of the community, should leave zero barriers for the province to reverse this decision"

Good on MoriyamaTeshima for playing the pro bono card ... this calls Doug's bluff on the closure/repair issues. Zero barriers indeed.

From the Globe:

I am sure they can pay for a booth somewhere at Staples?

AoD
The notification for RFP for that showed up in my inbox today. Sorry, you can't really see the details unless you have an account.
https://www.merx.com/solicitations/open-bids/OSC-RFP-June-25-2024/0000273141?origin=0
But the body of the letter that is attached to the RFP is below:
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) is a Crown agency of the Province of Ontario that supports the Ontario services and does so in co-operation with the
private sector.

The purpose of this RFP is to secure a temporary location for the Ontario Science Centre (OSC).

The OSC over 54 million visitors. The OSC has long term plans to relocate to Ontario Place but will require an interim location in Toronto until its permanent facility opens to the public.

The Ministry of Infrastructure is working with the OSC to expeditiously source an interim site of approximately 50,000 - 100,000 square feet of retail/commercial space in a dynamic area of Toronto or surrounding areas that is suitable for this use and easily transit accessible. The requirements outlined in this RFP will allow IO and OSC to determine the most suitable, temporary location for OSC. We are also allowing for a degree of flexibility in the specifications for the RFP if it enables the Science Centre to open more quickly.

Should you have a suitable location that you wish to be considered we invite you to respond to this RFP no later than the end of the day on July 23, 2024.

From the Globe:

AoD
The notification for RFP for that showed up in my inbox today. Sorry, you can't really see the details unless you have an account.
https://www.merx.com/solicitations/open-bids/OSC-RFP-June-25-2024/0000273141?origin=0
But the body of the letter that is attached to the RFP is below:
Put in it one of the underperforming malls. Why is Woodbine Centre the first thing that comes to mind.

Last edited:
From the Globe:

AoD
Nope. Any available space has been eaten up with their new Amazon returns service and Service Ontario kiosk. I suspect bottle returns will be next.

Brutalism is not everyone's taste, so fair enough. In someways, it's even an acquired taste. But that's not what's really important here...rather how this government is handling this portfolio which is highly problematic and done in bad faith, regardless of those that may support their position for aesthetic reasons.

...I disagree though that this was just a grey box. If one reasonably looks at the shape of the thing and the way it was interconnected, a box is the last thing that should be coming to any mind. So I'll least consider this opinion piece uninformed. And to put it mildly.
Yeah, "to put it mildly". But, Mallick's had a history of hyperactively framing Modernism/Brutalism in what one might call architectural #MeToo terms (like its defenders are akin to Polanski apologists or something).

Like, a decade ago, *this*.

Woodbine Centre can be the temporary home of both Queen's Park and the OSC!

This is what we all love about Jason Paris, unfailingly generous even with those with whom he disagrees........... you notice his suggestion provides the Premier with his fondest past time, a Ferris Wheel!

I saw on IG that there was a motion by a councillor to have the City take over the Science Centre but can’t find it now and haven’t seen it elsewhere. Was it deferred until Thursday’s meeting?

With DoFo it’s always crucial to follow the money.

IMG_3192.jpeg

Last edited:

Back