News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

At Orangeville before the final send off. Early in the morning, the locomotive picked up the last four hoppers from the Orangeville industrial park.

12954704-CF30-483A-A9CF-F25E31AB081C.jpeg

Crossing McLaughlin Road at Inglewood. This was once the junction with the CN Beeton Subdivision, which is now the Caledon Trailway.

D83AE57D-5F39-4027-9075-9847BB9CB6BA.jpeg

And, finally, passing by the old CP station lands in Downtown Brampton.

50F84C85-C9A4-46BE-8A59-36A4421BE072.jpeg

Just curious but is the entire line being nuked? Just going from Google Earth I see what looks like a couple of industrial customers in Brampton.

Just curious but is the entire line being nuked? Just going from Google Earth I see what looks like a couple of industrial customers in Brampton.
I think so - it was owned entirely by Orangeville, and servicing Brampton customers was simply a loss-reduction strategy, I would think. Maybe Brampton can come in and buy the ROW, then use it for extending the Hurontario LRT.

This should give you a sense of what the final send-off looked like. I didn't note any municipal officials, but the head of GIO (which was the contractor for Orangeville-Brampton in the last three years after Cando walked away) showed up to greet the rail crew.

CPR still owns the section from Streetsville Junction to the former site of the CPR Meadowvale station. So that part of the line will remain
Still appears to leave two or three up near Sandlewood Parkway. Maybe the got the memo or are no longer users (I don't know how old the images are).

This should give you a sense of what the final send-off looked like. I didn't note any municipal officials, but the head of GIO (which was the contractor for Orangeville-Brampton in the last three years after Cando walked away) showed up to greet the rail crew.

The Deputy Mayor and a number of Councillors all were there for the final send-off. But the Mayor, despite saying earlier that he would attend, was apparently suddenly required to attend "meetings" and was not there.

Dan

The Deputy Mayor and a number of Councillors all were there for the final send-off. But the Mayor, despite saying earlier that he would attend, was apparently suddenly required to attend "meetings" and was not there.

Dan

I wonder if this was why.

F6C0BE8B-1ECE-4ECC-9F17-5DD916740A04.jpeg

There were two OPP officers on the site yesterday, but they didn’t do much, except direct traffic when the crossing signals activated while the train was stopped.

That needs to be brought forward for those who might not see it in a preview:

View attachment 370379
The main reason the mid-western lines were abandoned was because they lacked economic viability. For many of them, "operational" in the later years (some into the mid-1990s) consisted of a once or maybe twice a week short mixed. Whether the government of that era should have spent public money to assume them I will leave to others to argue. A lot of the communities that those line served, outside of Orangeville and Caledon and perhaps a few others closer to the Golden Horseshoe, have bare grown in the past few decades.

The main reason the mid-western lines were abandoned was because they lacked economic viability. For many of them, "operational" in the later years (some into the mid-1990s) consisted of a once or maybe twice a week short mixed. Whether the government of that era should have spent public money to assume them I will leave to others to argue. A lot of the communities that those line served, outside of Orangeville and Caledon and perhaps a few others closer to the Golden Horseshoe, have bare grown in the past few decades.

I won't engage on the details of each line, as frankly I'm inexpert on their various merits and drawbacks and what was or was not required to maintain them as a going concern at the time.

That said; in cases where the ROW was not preserved, I have very deep concern......

I just look at what R.C Harris built for Toronto..........

A huge viaduct across the Rosedale and Don Valley (in 2 parts) at a time when the Danforth was a dirt road; and on top of that built them with decks underneath that would one day allow for Line 2 subway service (on the larger one); at time when Toronto wouldn't see any subway service at all for another 35+ years.

On top of which he built a Water Treatment Plant that now bares his name...........capable of serving 800,000 people when the City was barely 1/2 that size; and its still in service almost 90 years later.

I don't see why any politician or bureaucrat should be held to a lesser standard. Think ahead, way ahead........

If infrastructure may be under-utilized for a decade or even five...............so be it............

That doesn't mean you operate what you don't need/can't justify.

ie. The Viaduct was built for a subway, but none operated until the time was right.

ie. The Water plant had capacity, but it didn't pump/treat water that wasn't needed.

Last edited:
I won't engage on the details of each line, as frankly I'm inexpert on their various merits and drawbacks and what was or was not required to maintain them as a going concern at the time.

That said; in cases where the ROW was not preserved, I have very deep concern......

I just look at what R.C Harris built for Toronto..........

A huge viaduct across the Rosedale and Don Valley (in 2 parts) at a time when the Danforth was a dirt road; and on top of that built them with decks underneath that would one day allow for Line 2 subway service (on the larger one); at time when Toronto wouldn't see any subway service at all for another 35+ years.

On top of which he built a Water Treatment Plant that now bares his name...........capable of serving 800,000 people when the City was barely 1/2 that size; and its still in service almost 90 years later.

I don't see why any politician or bureaucrat should be held to a lesser standard. Think ahead, way ahead........

If infrastructure may be under-utilized for a decade or even five...............so be it............

That doesn't mean you operate what you don't need/can't justify.

ie. The Viaduct was built for a subway, but none operated until the time was right.

ie. The Water plant had capacity, but it didn't pump/treat water that wasn't needed.
I agree. I know little as well and only assume the reasons why they were shut down and if they had been profitable, they would still be operating. Loss of industry, changes to shipping patterns (livestock, stone, etc.), changes to grain freight rules and changes to rail abandonment rules all conspired around that time. It is instructive that very few were taken up by shortlines, which typically have lower operating costs - but they still need revenue.

I imagine a provincial or municipal government of the '80s and '90s would have been challenged to justify why millions of taxpayer dollars are being spent to buy and maintain - to some degree - corridors to the likes of Owen Sound or Teeswater, just to have them. There is a not-insignificant voter base out there that believes in less government, not more.

I don't know, but it seems to me that property tax rules or something similar encourage (force?) railways to start ripping out infrastructure the day after they are abandoned. It is not uncommon in the US, and even Quebec, to see long abandoned, weeded-over rails just sitting there.

The water plant and viaduct are often cited as visionary, which they were. Unfortunately, they stand out as the exception. We don't do visionary in Canada.

Back