News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Orangeville was the municipality that owned and then abandoned the railway. Leave Brampton out of it.
Brampton is at least partially responsible for what has happened. They could have negotiated an arrangement for reduced taxes to reduce costs to the railroad and allow it to maintain its viability - but chose not to, and continued to reap that windfall right to the end.

While there is a lot of blame to go around for the failure of the OBRY, there is a good share that should be directed at Brampton.

Dan

Orangeville was the municipality that owned and then abandoned the railway. Leave Brampton out of it.
Even if we ignore Orangeville, turning it into a rail trail was still stupid. It's a nice enough corridor to say, run a DMU service up and down it from Streetsville to Brampton GO. In fact, I believe that's what Mississauga wanted to do with the corridor.

Even if we ignore Orangeville, turning it into a rail trail was still stupid. It's a nice enough corridor to say, run a DMU service up and down it from Streetsville to Brampton GO. In fact, I believe that's what Mississauga wanted to do with the corridor.

Turning it into a rail trail is silly too because at least for the Brampton portion its already beside an existing trail and other portions in Sauga and Brampton just go next to industrial areas.

It just doesn't go anywhere nice, and where it does go that its nice, there are already several trails there already.

North of Brampton I question how much use it will get. The portion in the valley would be nice but its quite remote.

Turning it into a rail trail is silly too because at least for the Brampton portion its already beside an existing trail and other portions in Sauga and Brampton just go next to industrial areas.

It just doesn't go anywhere nice, and where it does go that its nice, there are already several trails there already.

North of Brampton I question how much use it will get. The portion in the valley would be nice but its quite remote.
I sorta agree, but with connecting bus service, and improved Milton/Kitchener Line service in the future, it could be quite useful to locals. Plus, the area around it could always be redeveloped in the future.

They have already torn out the rails in the road at the Bythia Rd crossing and paved it over.

The runaround looking South where Mayfield crosses.
DJI_0676 (1).jpg

Looking North
DJI_0680.jpg

Bonus:

Two shots on tracks never owned by BCRY, but rather CP when the line went to Owen Sound. Here is where it crossed over County Road 11 looking West and looking East. A spur turned North into the Hydro Station.

DJI_0656.jpg

DJI_0655 (1).jpg

Bonus:

Two shots on tracks never owned by BCRY, but rather CP when the line went to Owen Sound. Here is where it crossed over County Road 11 looking West and looking East. A spur turned North into the Hydro Station.

View attachment 421810

View attachment 421811

Fraxa Junction. You can see the Teeswater Sub – which was abandoned a decade earlier than the Owen Sound sub – in parts, but has been partially plowed over. The Owen Sound Sub was preserved, but the trail is rough in parts and not suitable for narrow-tired bikes.

They have already torn out the rails in the road at the Bythia Rd crossing and paved it over.

View attachment 421808

Looking North
View attachment 421809

Bonus:

View attachment 421810

View attachment 421811
Fun fact - Orangeville wanted to keep the rails to Fraxa Jct, but for some reason CP crews accidently removed the track too far.

Fraxa Junction. You can see the Teeswater Sub – which was abandoned a decade earlier than the Owen Sound sub – in parts, but has been partially plowed over. The Owen Sound Sub was preserved, but the trail is rough in parts and not suitable for narrow-tired bikes.
Grey County is in the process of stone dusting their entire portion this summer, which should improve the bikeability of the northern part pf the Owen Sound Sub.

View attachment 421808

Looking North
View attachment 421809

Bonus:

View attachment 421810

View attachment 421811
That one picture north of the Brick factory shows how perfect a GO train station would be to serve that location.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, tearing up this railway line was a horrible mistake, that part of Brampton is now a car dependent area for decades to come.

What a shame.

I was looking at this railway on Google Maps and thought, "this would be a great GO Transit link."

Of COURSE, we can't have that. Turn it into a trail. Is the ROI so thin you can't fit a trail in with the existing single track?

Last edited:
I was looking on this railway on Google Maps and thought, "this would be a great GO Transit link."

Of COURSE, we can't have that. Turn it into a trail. Is the ROI so thin you can't fit a trail in with the existing single track?
The RoW is wide enough for double track and a generously wide trail. Just going with a trail is the result of lazy policy decisions by the Region of Peel.

Back