From yesterday...
IMG_3790.jpeg

In the end, it will look like blocks but veneer is much cheaper. And yep, assuming the horizontal gaps in the stone in the image I posted will be where the cladding will protrude.

In the end, it will look like blocks but veneer is much cheaper. And yep, assuming the horizontal gaps in the stone in the image I posted will be where the cladding will protrude.

I'm just a little concerned that those protruding horizontal strips are going to become an enormous pigeon roost.

I guess I was hoping for an epic cladding like the Museum of History, but I just did a little research and now I understand why a municipal library is not going to get something of that calibre.

From Civilization.ca:

The building's cladding was selected to complement its architectural goals. Although variegated brick was a trademark of Cardinal, he felt that for a national monument stone was more appropriate; also it can be made to flow better with the curve of a building, lasts longer, and requires less maintenance. Brick was considered as a dressing, to save money, but injection of extra funds allowed the use of a rough-split Tyndall limestone from Manitoba. This buff-coloured fossiliferous stone is durable and easily carved; appropriately, the limestone was itself overridden by glaciers. The embedded fossils provide an element of visual surprise in the sculpture.

Back