From yesterday...
IMG_3790.jpeg

Don't know why I was imagining blocks or bricks of stone, but this looks very nice! We'll be getting some layering to get the effect of the rendering.

1718198949548.png

In the end, it will look like blocks but veneer is much cheaper. And yep, assuming the horizontal gaps in the stone in the image I posted will be where the cladding will protrude.

In the end, it will look like blocks but veneer is much cheaper. And yep, assuming the horizontal gaps in the stone in the image I posted will be where the cladding will protrude.

I'm just a little concerned that those protruding horizontal strips are going to become an enormous pigeon roost.

I guess I was hoping for an epic cladding like the Museum of History, but I just did a little research and now I understand why a municipal library is not going to get something of that calibre.

From Civilization.ca:

The building's cladding was selected to complement its architectural goals. Although variegated brick was a trademark of Cardinal, he felt that for a national monument stone was more appropriate; also it can be made to flow better with the curve of a building, lasts longer, and requires less maintenance. Brick was considered as a dressing, to save money, but injection of extra funds allowed the use of a rough-split Tyndall limestone from Manitoba. This buff-coloured fossiliferous stone is durable and easily carved; appropriately, the limestone was itself overridden by glaciers. The embedded fossils provide an element of visual surprise in the sculpture.

I went to take a look at the cladding on the east side of the new library and inadvertently walked through Ottawa's new intercity bus terminal. The passengers on the sidewalk - not sure if they were departing or arriving - certainly did not seem impressed. In fact they all appeared to be baffled and disgusted as heavy equipment ran about creating noise and dust around them. It's a good 7 or 8 minute walk to Lyon Station from here, and both routes to Pimisi are blocked. Is this really a step up over the old depot on Catherine? What a welcome to Ottawa for visitors!!

1718720126941.jpeg

Centretown Buzz did a story on this situation last month

Last edited:
I went to take a look at the cladding on the east side of the new library and inadvertently walked through Ottawa's new intercity bus terminal. The passengers on the sidewalk - not sure if they were departing or arriving - certainly did not seem impressed. In fact they all appeared to be baffled and disgusted as heavy equipment ran about creating noise and dust around them. It's a good 7 or 8 minute walk to Lyon Station from here, and both routes to Pimisi are blocked. Is this really a step up over the old depot on /Catherine? What a welcome to Ottawa for visitors!!

View attachment 573505

Centretown Buzz did a story on this situation last month
That is strange. Didn't even know about this. They really should be dropping people in front of Pimisi Station, or the McKenzie King Bridge.

Well really, I'd like to see all intercity coach companies rent space a the VIA station. There's a huge underutilized concourse and a drop off loop ready to be used.

It's baffling that the city hasn't put the screws on Flix to fix this. Tremblay, or the city's own facilities used by other intercity bus companies (Terry Fox and St. Laurent) are a far better and safer experience for riders. Welcome to the new market reality of the intercity bus market!

Back