News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Even though the parkway solution isn't quite as nice as going down Richmond and directly through a more built up area it's still not a bad choice by any means. Richmond is only a marginally better choice in terms of convenience and not worth putting up a fuss about. In the end they have a perfectly good route that will also be easier to keep on budget. Now they can get on with the next steps and make sure shovels are in the ground as soon as phase 1 is complete.

Agreed completely. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

On a related note, the weekly construction update was just posted: http://www.ligneconfederationline.ca/construction/construction-update-16/

I take the Transitway in from the west every morning, and I've been watching the construction around Pimisi Station taking place. It's progressing pretty rapidly, with almost nothing remaining of Booth St between the Transitway and Albert (it's a giant pit right now). My understanding is that this is both a diversion chamber for the canal running directly south of the Transitway, as well as the northern footing for the Booth St Bridge, which will arc over top of the future Pimisi Station (and feature shoulder bus lanes for easy drop off and pick up at the station).

It's nice to see LRT-related works on the surface, as most of the work so far has been underground and confined to the portals.

The Transitway from Hurdman to Blair will be closing for LRT conversion on June 28th. This closure was originally scheduled for October.

So far, it continues the streak of all work being ahead of schedule.

It does mean the construction is now entering its nasty phase... that of bus detours. The approved detours for Blair-Hurdman will result in 5-8 minutes of added travel times for 30,000 customer trips each day. A small number of customers--2,000 per day--who need to travel specifically from Orleans to the Train Station, or specifically from Hurdman to anywhere east of St. Laurent (only in the eastbound direction), will face added travel times of up to 16 minutes.

The Transitway from Hurdman to Blair will be closing for LRT conversion on June 28th. This closure was originally scheduled for October.

So far, it continues the streak of all work being ahead of schedule.

It does mean the construction is now entering its nasty phase... that of bus detours. The approved detours for Blair-Hurdman will result in 5-8 minutes of added travel times for 30,000 customer trips each day. A small number of customers--2,000 per day--who need to travel specifically from Orleans to the Train Station, or specifically from Hurdman to anywhere east of St. Laurent (only in the eastbound direction), will face added travel times of up to 16 minutes.

The introduction of 2 new 90-series routes to service the east end is a pretty elegant solution to the issue though, IMO. It would be very hard to mitigate the impact completely, but OC Transpo is doing a pretty good job.

The more interesting re-routing is going to be what happens between 2017/18 and 2022. The LRT will be open, but not extended to Baseline and Bayshore yet. My trip right now is taking the 118 to Baseline Station, and then the 95 (usually the 95X) downtown. Without a complete re-jig of bus routes in the west end, the introduction of the LRT will add a transfer to my trip.

Should this thread be moved to the main transportation forum?

We already have threads about Waterloo's LRT and Hamilton's in addition to GTA transit news in that forum. Ottawa's further than those cities of course, but people might be interested.

Waterloo and Hamilton are commuting distance to/from Toronto, and are all part of the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Ottawa and Vancouver aren't.

Waterloo and Hamilton are commuting distance to/from Toronto, and are all part of the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Ottawa and Vancouver aren't.

With the internet, I may have to disagree. Especially with former Canadian IT jobs being outsourced to India.

With the internet, I may have to disagree. Especially with former Canadian IT jobs being outsourced to India.
Do you propose we start threads on the Mumbai or Bangkok subway in the Toronto sections of the forum, or have them in the Rest of the Universe section?

I live in Waterloo Region, and I've never understood why my town's threads are in the Toronto discussion area. I've just gone with the flow. It feels like trespassing whenever I post in the ION thread.
Nice to get the rationale.

I live in Waterloo Region, and I've never understood why my town's threads are in the Toronto discussion area. I've just gone with the flow. It feels like trespassing whenever I post in the ION thread.
Nice to get the rationale.

I think a lot of us are particularly interested in stuff that's going on in the broader region.

There's been another open house for the West LRT!

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...n-lrt-extension-between-westboro-and-bayshore
The Citizen said:
The Lincoln Fields Transit Station will get a major makeover, orienting it north-south along the transitway beneath Carling Avenue, for easier access.

Just south of Lincoln Fields, the track splits, one route following the existing transitway south to Baseline Station. The Bayshore line will cross over the Baseline tracks on a bridge that will also carry it over Pinecrest Creek and the NCC recreational pathway. It will then dip into a short tunnel under Connaught Avenue before emerging at a new Queensview Transit Station, which will replace the existing Queensway Station which is to close. Queensview Station will be linked to the south side of Highway 417 by a new pedestrian/bicycle overpass adjacent to the Ottawa Citizen building.

The display boards aren't posted online yet, but the Citizen took a photo of one: (from the linked article)

details-of-proposed-western-extension-of-ottawas-lrt-system.jpg

Is it just me, or does that Queensview station seem like it's in a crappy location? It's a 500m walk just to get to the front of the IKEA, nevermind the rest of Pinecrest mall.

Attachments

• details-of-proposed-western-extension-of-ottawas-lrt-system.jpg
    details-of-proposed-western-extension-of-ottawas-lrt-system.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
Do you propose we start threads on the Mumbai or Bangkok subway in the Toronto sections of the forum, or have them in the Rest of the Universe section?

We'll have a solution for this situation soon.

Back