News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Tunnel Digging Site at uOttawa or Laurier and Nicholas.

2013-09-15 16.11.16.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-09-15 16.11.16.jpg
    2013-09-15 16.11.16.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 516
On a side note, wow that historical house is really taking a beating, isn't it? Haha... I remember in the late 90s/early 2000s they moved it from the corner of Laurier and Nicholas to where it is now in order to build the condo that's there now, and now it's literally right beside the tunnel portal. I can only imagine what the original owners would say if they were alive today.

The excitement is strong over here. Can't wait to see the annoying bus bunching to disappear.

I'm in Ottawa myself too, and yes I can say that it has been a pretty interesting couple of days. The initial map that was posted didn't include a Baseline BRT, but the updated map did. As someone who has to put up with the 118 on a daily basis, having dedicated bus lanes on Baseline would be a huuuuge improvement. I had to take a different route home the other day (got on at Riverside instead of at Baseline Stn), and it took the bus nearly 20 minutes to get from Prince of Wales to Merivale. With dedicated bus lanes, that trip would be under 5.

I go by the western portal every day, and I can see the central extraction shaft site from my desk, and I can say that both are progressing really well. From your pictures, looks like you have a pretty sweet view of the eastern portal too. Looks like the mining equipment that will be doing the actual tunnelling has arrived at the western portal this week.

Nothing has been started at St. Laurent.

They 417 is a pretty big mess around there, but yes you're right that no directly LRT-related construction has started there yet. They won't be doing any work on the existing Transitway stretches to upgrade to LRT until 2015 (after the highway is upgraded).

Back