News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Calgary's new arena design revealed. After years of back and forth, it's finally happening for them. Figures crossed we'll be next.

1721762142805.png

Far better than the last design they had.

1721762128689.png

Some interesting features, the concourse is at ground level, so no need to go up stairs when you get in.

1721762241075.png

Activation on three sides. Parking garage will have public art. You'll see at the lower, right corner the entrance to the community rink; it's under the basketball courts and patch of grass.

1721762230875.png

Really hoping we can get our LeBreton arena across the finish line.

The design is okay... I like the one wavy/colourful side (mimicking flames) but that will only look good at night, might fall flat during the days. The design looks a bit disjointed though, the backside doesn't carry the same style...

Also, it's weird that they are "preserving" a building that has been gone for at least 20 years.

Would it kill them to inject a bit of soul into the naming of these arenas? The whole [insert oligopoly name here] Place/Arena/Centre is getting pretty old, especially with Rogers having different arenas with all three of those descriptors.

They're replacing one of the most unique and fitting stadium names with generic garbage.

Would it kill them to inject a bit of soul into the naming of these arenas? The whole [insert oligopoly name here] Place/Arena/Centre is getting pretty old, especially with Rogers having different arenas with all three of those descriptors.

They're replacing one of the most unique and fitting stadium names with generic garbage.
Yep, the second you call it the "Scotia Forum" or the "Scotia Saddledome", everyone will drop the "Scotia" and just call it the Forum or the Saddledome. There goes their investment. That isn't an issue when you call it the Scotia Centre. Blandness is the name of the game.

Would be nice to see a team be willing to give up that revenue to create something memorable.

Scotiabank paid $800 million over 20 years to have their name on the ACC back in 2018. That almost entirely funds a new arena. Hard to say no to that.

That said, I wonder how much business these naming rights actually bring. Personally, I'm so annoyed by Scotiabank and Rogers plastering their name on everything, I make it a point not to do business with them.

At least when the corporate name is a local company, like Corel, MTS, Avenir Centre... Even Canadian Tire is at least the only one.

Back