News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I was in Ottawa yesterday and saw the following article in the Ottawa Citizen. The debate over a soccer stadium continues. Note that the likelihood of an MLS franchise in Ottawa appears to be fairly high: "Melnyk's group has all but locked up a conditional MLS expansion franchise if an acceptable stadium is constructed. Several other potential competitors from across North America have dropped out of the running."

Cohon stands up for CFL

Football, soccer can co-exist, he says

By Don Campbell, The Ottawa Citizen

February 13, 2009

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon knows his sports well enough to distinguish the difference between a corner kick and a field goal, and he doesn't want debate over a new sports stadium in Ottawa to become as simplified as a choice between football and soccer.

Cohon spent yesterday on Parliament Hill on business unrelated to the potential return of professional football to the national capital, but he also delivered the equivalent of a speech from the throne in an open letter on the proposed return of the CFL to Lansdowne Park.

In his letter, Cohon wrote that the the decision facing the city was about so much more than just a stadium locale.

He said the decision was about "building a stronger Ottawa, by building a special place to gather as a community and showcase what is best about (Ottawa)."

While Cohon says his CFL could co-exist with Major League Soccer at Lansdowne Park in Ottawa, he also wants to ensure that the CFL's point of view is seen by everyone as the process leads toward decision day, when city councillors must decide if, and where, the city's next major sports venue should be built.

Cohon endorses the bid to revitalize Lansdowne Park through the "Lansdowne Live" project spearheaded by Ottawa 67's owner Jeff Hunt and businessmen Roger Greenberg, John Ruddy and William Shenkman.

The CFL franchise would be just an anchor tenant for the development, though a highly visible piece of the puzzle, and Cohon says he doesn't want any misconceptions about the CFL in its current state clouding the city's decision in the coming weeks.

The open letter covered "outdated perceptions" Cohon feels are being floated by those not in favour of the transformation of Lansdowne Park around a CFL expansion franchise for 2011.

"I have been reading different comments being made about the CFL which are not quite true," Cohon said. "My job is to tell the proper story of the CFL. I want people to see the economic impact it would have.

"I get asked if the league will be around in 25 years. Well, it has never been stronger. We have set attendance records as old as 1993. Our TV ratings are second only to (NHL) hockey. And we have a strong stable of owners.

"I feel the people of Ottawa need a true picture of the CFL as what it is today, which is far different than when it left. I want people to be clear on the facts."

The group officially known as Ottawa Sports Entertainment has submitted its entire proposal to city staff, Hunt said, and it is hoping the process will move forward in March.

Their proposal for a prime section of Ottawa real estate includes recreational areas, commercial and retail developments and a small residential component.

The Hunt group introduced its basic concepts for Lansdowne last fall and has been fine tuning it since then.

However, the entire process has been slightly slowed by a bid by Eugene Melnyk's Senators Sports and Entertainment group to bring Major League Soccer to a proposed soccer-specific facility near Scotiabank Place.

The only thing everyone agrees on is that the city is neither big enough nor able to afford two similar stadiums each worth about $100 million.

Melnyk's group has all but locked up a conditional MLS expansion franchise if an acceptable stadium is constructed. Several other potential competitors from across North America have dropped out of the running.

Senators Sports and Entertainment believes the two franchises could not co-exist in one facility under separate ownerships and

"We have been saying consistently that the two teams won't work long-term in the same facility," said Cyril Leeder, chief operating officer of Senators Sports and Entertainment COO Cyril Leeder. "This is based on our experience, knowledge and understanding of sports and entertainment and the Ottawa market."

Leeder also puts forth the MLS blueprint for seeking owners with long-standing success in the operation of franchises in other professional leagues.

Several MLS owners also have interests in NFL, NHL or NBA franchises.

Hunt leaves open the door for the two to co-exist at Lansdowne, though his group has no interest in co-existing next to Scotiabank Place in Kanata.

Cohon next faces the CFL's board of governors on March 3, 15 days before the deadline for the conditional expansion franchise to the Ottawa group.

The commissioner expects the governors will extend the deadline after he gives them an update on the Ottawa bid.

A new CFL franchise in Ottawa would be the city's third. The Rough Riders folded after the 1996 season, and the Renegades' four-year run ended early in 2006.

Hunt also said he hoped the debate didn't come down to football versus soccer, both of which have their supporters and critics. Rather, he'd prefer the debate stays outside the sidelines and focuses on location, concept, feasibility, and what's best for the city before it gets sport specific and ownership specific.

There are friends on both sides of the table here, and both groups will have to live in the same city long after the city's decision is made, he said.

"Can anyone ever say when starting a business that they will never fail?" Hunt said. "Well no.

"But the one thing enormously different from previous (CFL team) ownership groups is that we are all from here and we cannot have a failure in this market. We all have too much at stake.

"We have reputations and other business interests. We are going to give this business opportunity every possible chance at success."

Wow...
Just build a single stadium central to downtown that houses both sports, end of story.

This is almost as ridiculous as when the Raptors and Leafs were going to construct new arenas for themselves besides themselves.

Just spend a few bucks on it so you don't end up with something that's downright embarrassing to take friends from out of town to (ie. BMO field).

Re: BMO Field. Toronto deserves better than that. All our major league stadiums are pretty spectacular, why not soccer?? At least they play better than the Leafs.

What are you people talking about? BMO field is perfectly fine, and excellently located. Have you guys ever actually been there? I've never heard anyone complain about it...

What are you people talking about? BMO field is perfectly fine, and excellently located. Have you guys ever actually been there? I've never heard anyone complain about it...

I've been there several times. It serves its purpose, but that's all it does. It's strictly utilitarian. It's pretty much the definition of the Toronto cheap-out. I hope they end up building the canopy that was originally planned but it seems doubtful. Zero charm, zero character. It won't take much for Ottawa to do much better with a multi-purpose facility.

Not that those who use BMO Field are in a position to quibble about such quibbles. Anyway, my own personal regrets about the 1948 Grandstand notwithstanding, it hasn't been as openly loathed by the general public as Exhibition Stadium was in its day--though perhaps it's too early to tell, too.

Right now, I suppose it's most memorable "architectural" feature is the aerial view of the F O O D letters across the way...

here is the latest news... the city commissioned a report of the best sites for a new stadium. Bayview Yards (just west of LeBreton Flats) and Carleton University were rated as the best sites. Lansdowne scored higher than Kanata. It is unclear whether they will just be using the report for information or perhaps trying to get one of the proponents to build at a site like Bayview.

http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/citycouncil/pec/2009/02-24/8-ACS2009-ISC-CCS-0013-Document 1.htm

In all honesty, sports fans aren't the sorts you expect architectural or urban design sensitivity from.

That's an over-generalisation.

In any event, we should be as interested in the views of the actual users of a building as we are in the views of those lucky souls with architectural and urban design sensitivity.

A 40,000 seat CFL stadium in Ottawa? In Kanata? You're kidding, right?

This is not a case of if you build it, they will come.

They have a lot of work to do in Ontario before football gains the prominence it once held here. 40,000 should be the goal for a city the size of Ottawa, but it would be a mistake to build a stadium that big. Start in the 25,000 to 30,000 range and design the stadium so that it can eventually be expanded. Ontario isn't football country. Ontario is probably the jurisdiction least culturally interested in football north of Mexico.

Build it in Ottawa, not Kanata. This needs to go at Lansdowne Park. Melnyk needs to be more respectful of smart growth in Ottawa and the rich Canadian cultural institution that is gridiron. He seems to have little respect for either. Football can prosper once again in the place that gave birth to it, but people like Melnyk certainly don't help matters.

Last edited:
History will show Ottawa to be one of the last major cities in North America to build a sports stadium in the suburbs. This will prove to be a costly mistake.

Oh it won't be the last ... :)

Maybe sports don't jive well with politicians. It's too "common folk" for them :p

Some people never learn eh? I am so glad I left that city. Now I can return with the boys in red to see them stomp all over these would-be rivals of ours. :)

Man, BMO Field's biggest handicap is it's name, if anything. It's not the prettiest (it IS a bloody cheap-out, as has been mentioned), but it's our home and as a homeless person loves their box/sleeping bag/tent, I love our BMO Field.

Back