News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Similar to Brooklyn's subway extensions through empty fields in 1917...
aeLq9ai6NBhieku55wmBH8cOFauSPzAuD1nq42bdzXY.jpg

From link.

One hopes Ottawa has rezoned the neighbourhoods for higher density.

Not really comparable, because those areas of Brooklyn were earmarked for development. The Greenbelt should remain just that - green.

Not every metre of frontage of a rapid transit line needs to have condo towers next to it in order to be effective.

Not really comparable, because those areas of Brooklyn were earmarked for development. The Greenbelt should remain just that - green.

Not every metre of frontage of a rapid transit line needs to have condo towers next to it in order to be effective.
This is more of a Vancouver type thing, where the rapid transit is used to connect various disconnected nodes, so while the track will cross the greenbelt, the TOD will happen at these nodes, while the train just passes through the greenbelt.

Similar to Brooklyn's subway extensions through empty fields in 1917...
aeLq9ai6NBhieku55wmBH8cOFauSPzAuD1nq42bdzXY.jpg

From link.

One hopes Ottawa has rezoned the neighbourhoods for higher density.
At least in Stage 1, they created TOD zoning plans for the eastern stations (some of which were zoned for towers up to 45 stories), so I presume at least Barrhaven Centre station will have one. The other stations are in established suburban neighbourhoods so I'm not sure exactly what will be done there. That said, there's not going to be any zoning of the Greenbelt, but that's fine given it's not going to have any stations anyway, just the tracks (although I believe a councillor did propose one in the Greenbelt as part of the Kanata extension, but it was shot down for being a terrible idea).

It's been done...

Americans treat LRT like "commuter lite", with stations in the middle of nowhere that you have to bus or drive to. It seems like they just shove the LRT where there is space (along a rail corridor, etc) and with no regard for the density etc around that area.

That's good satire in the Beaverton, but I wouldn't count the chickens so soon. As someone who works inside government, I say many of the wheels are falling off, and they aren't going to get screwed on again until people are back in the same building. And that's without the morale and mental health issues.

I'm scratching my head over Shopify. They spent years blowing their horns about the wonderful work environment they built in Ottawa, and how it fosters great things, and now they are going to drop it in favour of WFH. Great, see how it goes with all those smart young things after they've sat in their 500 square foot apartments all day every day for two years engaging in staring contests with their cats.

To be clear there still keeping there massive office building open its the one on Elgin there doing away with.

For Torontonians unfamiliar with the NCR, yes, Ottawa established a green belt way back when and it's mostly still green. Of course the suburbs jumped across it. Ottawa has been reasonably successful in getting suburbanites to commute on transit and they need to be kept willing. You can't compare the situation either to Toronto or other millionish Canadian cities, because none is configured the same way. Existing railway lines are all in the wrong place and don't go into the core, so the LRT is being built to play the role of "subway" backbone within the green belt, and of commuter rail without. So it runs past fields, pastures, parkland, bogs, whatever looks green on a satellite map.

Is that good or bad planning? It's a bit like arguing about the Chateau Laurier addition. Reading some Toronto critics talking about that suggests they have no inkling of the city's culture, to the same extent that looking at most of the proposed iterations of the design suggested the architect was in the same condition.

The other thing is many Canadians say they should have a say on Ottawa in terms of development even lrt as its the Capital no other city really has to take into account how people Canada wide feel.

The other thing is many Canadians say they should have a say on Ottawa in terms of development even lrt as its the Capital no other city really has to take into account how people Canada wide feel.

Meh. Functionally this is just the NCC. The average Canadian really doesn't care all that much about Ottawa. I'd argue the biggest issue Ottawa has is that it's part of highly populated province and not close to the largest city in population. So faces chronic underinvestment by the the province, while facing unique demands from the Feds.

Meh. Functionally this is just the NCC. The average Canadian really doesn't care all that much about Ottawa. I'd argue the biggest issue Ottawa has is that it's part of highly populated province and not close to the largest city in population. So faces chronic underinvestment by the the province, while facing unique demands from the Feds.

In fact what hurts them is there to close to Toronto if they were 10 hours away Ontario would feel they need to invest more but with Ottawa only 4 hours away they don't feel they need to invest as much in Ottawa as they should.As for Canadians if you look at the major projects people around the country to weigh in take the massive Zibi project or the flats even Lanadsdown it goes on and on.

Back