News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Screenshots:

Otrain1.png

Otrain2.png

Last edited:
Replace every 60,000 km? That's a rough ballpark of about once every 120 days of service (assuming a given vehicle is in service a whole 20-hour day). Is that normal? I don't know what the expectation is. Or how much work it is.
IIRC it was reported that the expected lifespan of the axle assemblies is 1.2 million km, so 60,000km is quite a lot lower.

Last edited:
Maybe they'll be

Might just be cheaper to buy some Flexity cars for now, to tide them over. They only got 34 of the 48-metre cars for this first stage in Ottawa. That's smaller than the Eglinton Line 5 72-car fleet of 30-metre cars. :)

I wonder what the implications are for the 17 Citadis cars that Metrolinx got for Finch West.
Those 17 cars will most likely have the same issues as Ottawa with service not start until 2024 now since it behind schedule. This will given them a chance to fix the issues before service starts. On limited testing has been done between Keele and Jane

Mississauga is getting 44 of these cars with delivery starting Q4 and service starting 2025 since the line behind schedule due manpower shortage. Its possible that delivery will start in 2024 now to allow time to fix the issues before burn in and testing starts as well training. Mississauga will have a longer test bed by year end than Finch by a few miles

This doesn't make sense to me. RTG/Alstom need to fix the trains, regardless. So why delay start of construction?

If the trains can't be re-engineered, and a different model is required, wouldn't that require new platforms be built in existing stations? Which could be done while stage 3 is being built?

This doesn't make sense to me. RTG/Alstom need to fix the trains, regardless. So why delay start of construction?

If the trains can't be re-engineered, and a different model is required, wouldn't that require new platforms be built in existing stations? Which could be done while stage 3 is being built?
Yes, it's just a straw man argument. Ford is just piggybacking on the public outcry on a vaguely related issue as a defence against political pressure to spend money on transit expansion in Ottawa

Stage 3 isn't funded. It is going to be very expensive per km and carry relatively few riders since it involves extensions to the branches beyond the split at Lincoln Fields. Given the decline in ridership due to WFH, and now the complete collapse in public confidence in OC Transpo, it's not clear there is still a rational business case for it in the next 20 years.

What about Kitchener-Waterloo's ION LRT???
The chart only includes metro or quasi metro lines. So lines with full grade separation.

I didn't include streetcars, though that would be interesting if I took the time to figure out how much of the TTC streetcar network is actually running right now.

I didn't include streetcars, though that would be interesting if I took the time to figure out how much of the TTC streetcar network is actually running right now.

Here's a single data point - at 5:07 PM today - rush hour on a Thursday perhaps a bit light as it's summer vacation season - Transee says that TTC has 106 out of 204 trams in service (202 if you adjust for the two off property).

And 60 on order....

- Paul

Back