News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Hmm, it would cost me more than $70 ... my HD TV has no tuner ... and an HD tuner (HD in and HD out) runs at least $200 or so ... if you can find one in Canada; last time I was looking for one (for my parents) I ended up in New York. I guess the newer HD TVs have finally built them in.

yeah you need an ATSC, i believe thats what it's called. I have a toshiba Regza which has it built in. Even if it's an extra cost of $200, plus the antenna, $70. it would be the equivalent of 2.5 months of cable bills. For people like us, it makes a whole lot more sense.

digital basic is a little under $30 per month( and basic without a cable box cost even less) you don't need anything more than that so so why are folks crying about high cost of cable?

digital basic is a little under $30 per month( and basic without a cable box cost even less)
I'm not sure where your numbers are coming from; do you have a URL? I have digital basic, and it is $29.99 for the basic cable, and $2.99 for the digital services fee. That's $37.27 a month. And doesn't include a cable box (which I own).

you don't need anything more than that so so why are folks crying about high cost of cable?
For some people $450 a year is a lot of money if everything they watch can be got for free with an antenna.

Rogers will go to great lengths to avoid letting you sign up for a cable plan without a digital box - it's not in their best interest.

That said, if you haven't yet, paraone, try calling Rogers and say 'cancel my service' when the computer asks what you're calling about. Tell them you're switching to Bell because they've offered you a free PVR for a year, more HD channels, etc for a lower price. Rogers will likely match it just to keep you as a customer.

Not sure how low they'll go, but you'll definitely save money.

That gives me the same thing that is on my bill. $29.99 for basic cable, plus $2.99 digital service fee, and PST and GST. If I'd wanted a cable box it would have added another $4.49 a month for a total of $42.34 a year. I'm not sure where your getting the under $30 a month without a cable box thing; even without tax, without a cable box, the best I see is $32.98 a month.

Rogers will go to great lengths to avoid letting you sign up for a cable plan without a digital box - it's not in their best interest.
No ... but you can buy the digital box. Even if you can't get one on sale, it pays for itself in under 2 years.

No ... but you can buy the digital box. Even if you can't get one on sale, it pays for itself in under 2 years.

Oh, absolutely, I wasn't disagreeing with you. You can buy the SD box for $50 if you wait for a sale, so it makes zero sense to rent.

CJ was saying that you could sign up for regular, non-digital cable service from Rogers. I was saying that it's very hard to get them to let you do that, as they really want to get everyone on digital service.

Hmm, it would cost me more than $70 ... my HD TV has no tuner ... and an HD tuner (HD in and HD out) runs at least $200 or so ... if you can find one in Canada; last time I was looking for one (for my parents) I ended up in New York. I guess the newer HD TVs have finally built them in.
My office recently added OTA HD for the lunchroom TV, and the installation guy quoted me $249 for the exterior antenae installed on the roof of my house, the cables, etc. plus $85 for the HD to analog convertor for my old TV. Sounds like a great deal.

I'm just waiting to see if this Local TV Tax happens, which will be my tipping point to OTA and the end of cable for me.

I'm in the process of researching this, and might go the OTA through the PC route. If your video card has a tuner, you can record stuff right off the air just like on a PVR. Most video cards now have a DVI or HDMI output to use with your HD TV. This way you can avoid having to buy a separate tuner box for your TV.

With regards to reception, there are antenna designs available on the web, that anyone even moderately mechanically inclined can build, and that supposedly get better reception than the store-bought ones. Google "fractal OTA antennas". I will definitely build one in the near future.

digital basic is a little under $30 per month( and basic without a cable box cost even less) you don't need anything more than that so so why are folks crying about high cost of cable?

My wife worked for Rogers for 8 years, that how we got hooked on full cable, shes extremely sceptical of those figures.

it's not just about the money. It also about having a family that watches that tripe called cable TV. Anyone here that doesn't have cable knows what I'm talking about. You get so much more out of life when your not hooked on the idiot box. Our TV went kaput last year and we didn't replace it for a few months, in that time I painted my entire house and started to learn how to play guitar. Once we got cable back, slowly but surely we found it was starting to consume a few hours each night, which when you have a young family, that time is precious. and again all I watch is sports and news, I can get both over the net and much more for less than basic cable.

it's not just about the money. It also about having a family that watches that tripe called cable TV. Anyone here that doesn't have cable knows what I'm talking about.
What a odd comment! If your talking about replacing Cable with OTA I don't see how one would watch much less TV. It's not like there's that much worth watching on Cable ... though it's nice to have the channels there to flick on the weather, CP24 or Newsworld occasionally.

If one doesn't want to watch it ... don't watch it. I might read more if I forego the 45 minutes or so I watch in the day ... but I'm hardly going to start repainting the house at 10 pm in the evening when the TV typically get's turned on!

... now if I was to get rid of the Internet ... that might accomplish something :)

hey if you don't watch TV good for you, but for a lot of people out there the TV becomes an easy excuse to sit and do nothing after working and chasing two toddlers all day. And I would be willing to bet that if the average person out there ditched cable for OTA the hours of viewing per week, even if they are few, would plummet. Also you may find you do have more time for things that actually do enrich your life.

Back