News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

For sure it's the worst No Frills in Ontario. I mean, it makes other No Frills seem like they have a few frills. At least the basement turned into a Dollarama, so you can slum-shop all in the same location. Roncy has acquired all the good little food stores, which is Parkdale adjacent. For me, it's No Frills for everyday basics and Cheese Btq to pamper myself.

Maybe since I have been here since the 90's, I notice the change more than most. The biggest changes are the Queen retail and the disappearance of the street walkers. Rents have increased because of the hipsters who are willing to pay $1600+ for a small 1 bedroom apt. Same number of lunatics and riff raff though.

I've spent a lot of time in Parkdale myself, and I mostly agree. It's a bit less ghettoey and a bit more hipstery, but not dramatically so, especially in context of the huge changes throughout downtown. There's something fascinating about the eclectic mix you find there. There's no other neighbourhood in the city like it. I hope it retains its Bohemian character.

Agreed about the corners of King and Dufferin though - way too gross suburban in design. And I love the food at Island Foods too, but the service pisses me right off. Never seen a fast food joint take glacially slow to put already prepped and cooked food together on a plate like these clowns. It's cringe inducing. Sorry, "island time" doesn't cut it here. I've found myself going more and more to Ali's Roti for more flavour and you get it right away.

For sure it's the worst No Frills in Ontario. I mean, it makes other No Frills seem like they have a few frills. At least the basement turned into a Dollarama, so you can slum-shop all in the same location. Roncy has acquired all the good little food stores, which is Parkdale adjacent. For me, it's No Frills for everyday basics and Cheese Btq to pamper myself.

Maybe since I have been here since the 90's, I notice the change more than most. The biggest changes are the Queen retail and the disappearance of the street walkers. Rents have increased because of the hipsters who are willing to pay $1600+ for a small 1 bedroom apt. Same number of lunatics and riff raff though.

Yeah, I noticed the number of psychologically abandoned people is roughly the same as when I last lived here.

1600?! I wish! Mine is 1700 and that's for the smallest 1 bedrooms in my building, on a lower floor with a partially-obstructed lake view. The higher floors for the same are 1800. 1900 for the next size up. 2000 for the bigger 1 beds on a lower floor, and fully 2100 for the unit I used to live in which is their biggest 1 bed on a high floor, lake view.
And I'm not even a hipster.

Agreed about the corners of King and Dufferin though - way too gross suburban in design. And I love the food at Island Foods too, but the service pisses me right off. Never seen a fast food joint take glacially slow to put already prepped and cooked food together on a plate like these clowns. It's cringe inducing. Sorry, "island time" doesn't cut it here. I've found myself going more and more to Ali's Roti for more flavour and you get it right away.

"Island time" is a much healthier way to approach life than whatever anxiety-ridden rush you seem to be experiencing.

It's the Toronto rat race disease. I hate it.

Also, raising 3 kids.

Breathe. Take your time.

I feel ya. I have passing anxiety and sometimes I get stressed out from arbitrary deadlines. I say arbitrary because no one will die if it's not done to the second.
It's taken me over a decade to slowly learn to cope by letting go of the importance I placed on stressors.

This doesn't mean I'm late for appointments, for example. On the contrary, I just rush less getting to them because I give myself more time. I know, that sounds overly simplistic.
You have to make being relaxed an intrinsic part of your life to the point that it becomes the only way you do things.

As my boss always says, "Tomorrow's a day as well".

Meditation?
Job change?
Career change?

I hate seeing people suffer from the stress of modern urban life.

Anyway, I hope things slow down for you soon. Cheers.

Breathe. Take your time.

I feel ya. I have passing anxiety and sometimes I get stressed out from arbitrary deadlines. I say arbitrary because no one will die if it's not done to the second.
It's taken me over a decade to slowly learn to cope by letting go of the importance I placed on stressors.

This doesn't mean I'm late for appointments, for example. On the contrary, I just rush less getting to them because I give myself more time. I know, that sounds overly simplistic.
You have to make being relaxed an intrinsic part of your life to the point that it becomes the only way you do things.

As my boss always says, "Tomorrow's a day as well".

Meditation?
Job change?
Career change?

I hate seeing people suffer from the stress of modern urban life.

Anyway, I hope things slow down for you soon. Cheers.

Yeah, I try to be more relaxed, but the pressure of "making it" in this city is relentlessly intense...

Yeah, I try to be more relaxed, but the pressure of "making it" in this city is relentlessly intense...

It's most intense when one's metrics are based on the lives of others.

I feel ya though, I'm in serious debt and am trying to pay it off. Just had to move and my new rent is 250 a month more than my last place.
I'm basically working to keep myself fed and housed and to make my creditors a profit.
That being said, if I let it get to me and started pushing myself too hard I'd be so stressed I'd probably have a lapse back into depression and anxiety. Meaning I'd be better off defaulting on my debts. Luckily, I've trained my mind to deal better with stressful situations and am stubborn enough to see the debt repayment to the end.

Life isn't about money and work. It's about being a decent human being and enjoying the beauties of the universe.

I hope you at least get your holidays in every year.

Ok, how good is healthcare in this country?

I keep running into street people who were here over a decade ago.
Not the best self-care taken and yet, still kicking. Older ones too. Like in their 50s.
Where do they all live? I know of a couple rooming houses....Ok, like 6...but that doesn't seem to be enough for all of them. Is there a bigger residence somewhere?

Weird. Dunn Milk, a shop at the total bottom of Dunn, sells Yankee eggs. I've never seen Yankee eggs for sale in Canada.

The orange president would be happy.

Back