News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A matter yet to be addressed, so far as I can discern is private, multi-res, landlord-provided parking. I'm not even aware of incentives for EV chargers, never mind mandates. Right now, in the complex where I rent, none of the outside surface parking have chargers. In truth, none really have it at all, but a limited number of spaces have plugs available to them which they could use for an old-school slow-charge, in theory. Chicken-and Egg issue, of course, no one in the complex yet owns an EV; but then of course, there's nowhere (proper) to charge one.

Edit to add:

I'd love to see a voluntary/incentive package for the introduction of chargers in multi-res lots bundled with a program to green surface parking of this type (where its not going to be built on), to achieve urban-heat island reduction through canopy/shade. Since running the requisite wiring would generally involve the need to rip up the pavement for a portion of the lot anyway, why not two birds with one stone?

The incentive should go away after 5-7 years replaced by a mandatory standard, providing incentive for more rapid change.
Was visiting family in Vancouver, BC recently, new builds there have mandated much more EV charging than in Ontario for years. Their condo building built in 2018 or so had a squared off metal pole / bollard looking thing at the end of *every* stall with a dryer outlet on it.

I really believe it's things like this - infrastructure, that are going to drive EV adoption (already over 10% in BC). Clearly demand is already significant but, unless you're really comfortable you'll be able to charge its waiting game. In California where there are many large parkades like we see here, and unlike YVR you'll often see tens of chargers lined up.

Was visiting family in Vancouver, BC recently, new builds there have mandated much more EV charging than in Ontario for years. Their condo building built in 2018 or so had a squared off metal pole / bollard looking thing at the end of *every* stall with a dryer outlet on it.

I really believe it's things like this - infrastructure, that are going to drive EV adoption (already over 10% in BC). Clearly demand is already significant but, unless you're really comfortable you'll be able to charge its waiting game. In California where there are many large parkades like we see here, and unlike YVR you'll often see tens of chargers lined up.
At least in Toronto now due to the change in regulations, new condos don't have much of any parking at all.

At least in Toronto now due to the change in regulations, new condos don't have much of any parking at all.
Just to be pedantic, they don’t have any minimums; they can build as much parking as they want. Of course it’s expensive, so builders are happy to forgo it and reduce their costs and speed up construction

Ontario requires new builds be designed to accommodate electric chargers, but not actually install them. There was a building code change in 2017 that required something like 25% of residential spaces to actually install them, but the Ford government changed it to "be designed to accommodate".

As others have said, there isn't a ton of parking getting proposed in new builds in Toronto right now regardless, especially in non-luxury buildings. Since parking minimums were removed I am seeing an increasingly large amount of buildings go almost parking free or entirely parking free, especially downtown.

Just to be pedantic, they don’t have any minimums; they can build as much parking as they want. Of course it’s expensive, so builders are happy to forgo it and reduce their costs and speed up construction

Not correct.

Toronto has parking maximums.

From the above:

1671723774105.png

1671723804331.png

For residential, this is the key one, I suppose:

1671723855985.png

There's also this:

1671723891415.png

A matter yet to be addressed, so far as I can discern is private, multi-res, landlord-provided parking. I'm not even aware of incentives for EV chargers, never mind mandates. Right now, in the complex where I rent, none of the outside surface parking have chargers. In truth, none really have it at all, but a limited number of spaces have plugs available to them which they could use for an old-school slow-charge, in theory. Chicken-and Egg issue, of course, no one in the complex yet owns an EV; but then of course, there's nowhere (proper) to charge one.

Edit to add:

I'd love to see a voluntary/incentive package for the introduction of chargers in multi-res lots bundled with a program to green surface parking of this type (where its not going to be built on), to achieve urban-heat island reduction through canopy/shade. Since running the requisite wiring would generally involve the need to rip up the pavement for a portion of the lot anyway, why not two birds with one stone?

The incentive should go away after 5-7 years replaced by a mandatory standard, providing incentive for more rapid change.
I think there are some clever IoT approaches to providing charging in multi-tenant situations. This can be accomplished by a platform (expect this from Tesla at least) where they handle payments/authentication and possibly even the charging hardware, while the landlord/condo is paid on a per kwh basis (with some spread to the rate they pay). This greatly simplifies the need for separate metering, etc.

Edit to add:

Adding chargers in multi-residential buildings is certainly happening (we just 'wired' about 75% of the parking spaces in our condo building, though only one owner currently has an e-car.) The cost of the hydro is passed along to the appropriate owners through software that measures time and current used. There are several companies dealing with the ($$) part charging. (e,g. https://www.chargelab.co/ ) In our condo, parking spaces are 'common elements, exclusive use' but the situation in condos will vary based on whether the parking space is owned, rented or common elements - exclusive use. At the end of the day it is not that hard to do - it just takes time & effort and in our case a legal agreement registered on Title. I have a (common elements, exclusive use) parking space but do not have a car and I put in the wiring for an ev charger. I rent my space to a neighbour and my current parking tenant does not yet have an e-car so his 'parking rent' did not change but if/when he buys one I will install the charger. He will pay the actual hydro cost and I will increase his parking rent to compensate for the $$ I spent to wire the space. If/when I sell my Unit I assume that having a wired parking space will raise the price.

From link.

PAID PARKING
In the coming months (late 2022/early 2023), paid parking will come into effect at Dufferin Mall. This will be done in partnership with Imperial Parking Corporation Canada, a division of the Reef Network (https://www.impark.com/).​
Shoppers will be permitted to park at Dufferin Mall for up to three (3) hours free of charge.​
Any shopper parking longer than three (3) hours will be required to pay $2 for each additional hour, with a daily maximum of $8.​
FAQS
  • When is paid parking coming into effect at Dufferin Mall?
Paid parking will come into effect in the coming months.​
  • What will the parking rates be?
Monday to Sunday​
Mall patrons only – 3 hours Free​
Each additional hour or less - $2​
Daily Maximum - $8 (until 11:59pm)​
  • Is there a penalty for parking longer than 3 hours?
Yes. Vehicles that park without payment of the posted rate or failure to properly display a valid parking pass may receive a violation from Imperial Parking Corporation Canada.​
  • Are License Plate Recognition (LPR) cameras being used?
Yes. The LPR cameras will be setup at every Dufferin Mall parking entrance and will read a vehicle’s license plate. This information will go the Impark’s onsite representative to track when a vehicle arrived and how long it has been parked at Dufferin Mall. The use of LPR cameras means shoppers parking under 3 hours will not need to enter their license plates at pay stations or Offstreet app prior to shopping at Dufferin Mall.​
  • What is the procedure to pay for parking?
If you plan to park longer than 3 hours, after parking, please register your license plate number at the pay stations and pay for your additional time. If you did not plan on shopping longer than 3 hours but do happen to, please return to the pay stations on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking garage and pay for additional time. Parking can also be purchased in advance via the the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Are there pay stations on the surface level of the parking lot?
No. Pay Stations are only located on the P1 and P2 levels of the parking lot.​
  • I only need to shop for a for a few minutes, do I need to register my license plate at the pay stations?
No. You only need to register your license plate if you are planning to park your vehicle longer than three hours.​
  • What if I park on the surface level and want to park longer than 3 hours?
If you have already parked on the surface level and plan to park your vehicle longer than three hours, we ask that you relocate your vehicle to either the P1 or P2 level of the parking lot and pay for your additional time at the pay stations or via the Offstreet web-app.​
  • Will monthly rates be available?
Yes. For those who frequent Dufferin Mall on a daily basis, monthly parking rates are available.​
  • What was the reasoning to move to paid parking?
Due to the many developments and construction projects in the surrounding area, less and less of the parking spaces meant for Dufferin Mall patrons. By instituting paid parking, our hope is to discourage those who aren’t shopping at Dufferin Mall from freely parking at Dufferin Mall for extended periods and leaving more parking spaces to loyal Dufferin Mall shoppers.​
  • Is Dufferin Mall managing paid parking?
Paid parking will be managed by Imperial Parking Corporation Canada (Impark), a division of the Reef Network. For more details, please visit https://www.impark.com/toronto/.​

Last edited:
Good post @W. K. Lis

So, its a start. Still de facto free parking if you're just shopping or stopping at the food court; but not if you work there, or are using it as a commuter parking lot for the subway.

Likely a baby step towards full paid parking as redevelopment plans go forward.

Should have that at ALL parking lots/garages in Toronto AND in the 905. Allow a 3 hour time period for free, if shopping. If going to a movie, record the license plate for the time at the movie (plus 60 minutes for popcorn purchase, trailers, and washroom).

Reactions: PL1

Back