News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Calgary is moving ahead with their residential parking fees. I wonder how much revenue this will generate as the article doesn't say.

Anyone know if something similar has ever been considered here?

Not sure but I’d bet dollars to donuts if this is in anyone’s back pocket, we’re not going to hear about it until after the next muni election.

Here’s what the Quarters parking lots looked like during yesterday’s LRT ride:
IMG_0869.jpeg
IMG_0870.jpeg

So workers are storing their metal on the street for 8 hours, which I'm assuming is now going to change because of the $1/hr fee. How could more space directly on the street for paying customers be a bad thing in his eyes? The presented argument against it doesn't even hold water.

Related to this is the bad design the city went with for the 105 Ave bike lane where there is free parking once motorists cross over the bike lane. Many drivers, because it's not intuitive to drive up the curb to park, are instead leaving their vehicles in the bike lane. Will this problem get worse since parking along the bike lane is free? And to make matters worse, you've got parked vehicles that stick out into the new sidewalk - so pedestrian friendly!

Screenshot_20240103-202710_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240103-202804_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240103-202838_Samsung Internet.jpg
20231231_154352.jpg
Screenshot_20231231-162540_Gallery.jpg

Related to this is the bad design the city went with for the 105 Ave bike lane where there is free parking once motorists cross over the bike lane. Many drivers, because it's not intuitive to drive up the curb to park, are instead leaving their vehicles in the bike lane. Will this problem get worse since parking along the bike lane is free? And to make matters worse, you've got parked vehicles that stick out into the new sidewalk - so pedestrian friendly!

View attachment 531231View attachment 531232View attachment 531233View attachment 531234View attachment 531235
Whoever was the project lead on 105ave should be fired.

If you want to email the PM, here you go: ashfaque.ahmed@edmonton.ca

Last edited:
It’s a great example of when you actually can’t even be pissed about cars parking in the bike lane. I don’t blame them. It’s a mess.

Classic example of trying to please too many parties and getting a lose-lose-lose instead of “small compromises” like they often think decisions like this require.

Why the bike lanes couldn’t curve around the parking spots like elsewhere is beyond me. That’s a fair compromise while not wrecking the effectiveness of the separated bike lane. The current approaches avoids curves at the cost of protection and reliability. So dumb.

Seems to be the change in surface material. The pavers do not scream 'parking' to the average driver. The location of the bollards are clear, but there's a gutter between the road and the parking stalls which is not intuitive. There normally isn't this kind of separation or change in height or material.

Back