News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

The city has actually been quite pro-active in heritage, which is great.

Now I don't necessarily agree that the City is exactly 'pro-active' in heritage preservation .... it seems like every time a property is added to the Heritage Listing, it is only in response to a known / planned redevelopment application

Excellent news regarding the grocery store. The rest of the site is certainly expendable (though there are services that will hopefully be maintained for locals during construction).

Parkway Mall is currently undergoing a major renovation. Here are some renderings of the proposed redevelopment and a description of the plan: New Look. New Stores. New Experience. Parkway Mall is currently undergoing a major redevelopment. As part of the redevelopment, there will be a facelift to the shopping centre that will include new additional exterior units, façade upgrades, redesigned mall exteriors and improved parking. Completion of these renovations is set for December 2018.

https://fcr.ca/portfolio-leasing/view/CPM025

ParkwayMall_ProposedRedevelopmentRendering_WebsiteHero.jpg

ParkwayMall_Rendering_WebsiteSlider2.jpg

ParkwayMall_ProposedRedevelopmentRendering_WebsiteSlider4.jpg

Aerial image of the site:
ParkwayMallAerial2B.jpg

Renderings and photo, courtesy of First Capital Realty

This looks pretty mundane, however, one positive improvement is the return to the mall's original layout — more or less — where it meets the northeast end of the heritage building, Parkway Plaza. When the mall was renovated in the 70s or 80s, the section in question was filled in with a pie-shaped wedge that meets the heritage building at a sharp, oblique angle. This portion has mostly been removed, as of today. The new design will hark back to the original dimensions and give the heritage building more breathing space. Until very recently, its northeast corner was overwhelmed by this addition. Once it is removed, the supermarket will once again have a more airy, bright feel, by having this glass wing of the building unsheathed. Once complete, the supermarket and its adjacent, new stores will be flush with one another, again. It will be nice to have this reestablished viewing angle of the heritage building restored, when looking toward the west. This street view image illustrates the awkward, cavernous reality of what was and the ensuing images show the original design of the plaza, to give you a better idea of what I have described.

141to28.jpg

Street view

349594i.jpg

s24dww.jpg

15g8f20.jpg

Images, courtesy of Spacing

Here is an additional article about the plaza, for those who are interested in its architectural design and history:

The space age Parkway Plaza, Toronto’s first heritage supermarket

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2016/09/19/space-age-parkway-plaza-torontos-first-heritage-supermarket/

Last edited:
It's an arch..........it's a nice arch, it's a nice photo of a nice arch.........with a fairly pedestrian grocery store under it, attached to a fairly pedestrian mediocre mall, surrounded by un-adorned surface parking.

Please don't tell me this merits infatuation or preservation.

Its only defense is.......it's better than anything else for 5 blocks either way, as if that's an adequate justification. (not accusing, just saying).

For anyone with an affinity for arches (I might count myself here); I'm sure it can be easily replicated in any new development.

It's an arch..........it's a nice arch, it's a nice photo of a nice arch.........with a fairly pedestrian grocery store under it, attached to a fairly pedestrian mediocre mall, surrounded by un-adorned surface parking.

Please don't tell me this merits infatuation or preservation.

Its only defense is.......it's better than anything else for 5 blocks either way, as if that's an adequate justification. (not accusing, just saying).

For anyone with an affinity for arches (I might count myself here); I'm sure it can be easily replicated in any new development.
The arched building certainly merits preservation. The rest of the mall is architecturally worthless, though. Ideally, I would like to see said heritage building retained and incorporated into a redevelopment of the surrounding area that maximizes its large footprint with a more Shops-at-Don-Mills-type of experience (with parking below ground and no roads running through).

“Its only defense is.......it's better than anything else for 5 blocks either way, as if that's an adequate justification. (not accusing, just saying).”

How are you defining a block in this part of the city? There is actually quite a bit that is architecturally significant in this general area. Here are a few examples:

Literally, right on the other side of Victoria Park, at this location, is the spectacular Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church.

20180122_2018_5D_1400x950.jpg

20171129_20175D_2F5A0583_1510x950.jpg

20171201_20175D_2F5A0581_1410x950.jpg

Photos: Vik Pahwa

The interior of this church is gorgeous.

http://acotoronto.ca/show_building.php?BuildingID=10976

Additionally, a short distance west of here is Parkwoods United Church, designed by Eb Zeidler in 1964.

20171130_20175D_2F5A0611_1460x950.jpg

Photo: Vik Pahwa

http://acotoronto.ca/show_building.php?BuildingID=6373

Other nearby landmarks/heritage buildings include Senator Frank O'Connor House and Citadel Village.

http://acotoronto.ca/show_building.php?BuildingID=10594

Several entries for Citadel Village can be found here:

http://acotoronto.ca/search_buildingsR-d.php?sid=3061

250 Cassandra Blvd is also a really nice, modernist apartment complex that is heritage worthy. This building is about a 1-2 minute walk from Parkway Mall. There are also plenty of residential properties in the area that merit preservation. Lastly, the Christian Brothers' College (that stood slightly northwest of the O'Connor mansion) was a fascinating structure that was unfortunately demolished in 1970, after only 20 years of existence.

soon-to-disappear-brother-lewis-mccoshan-88-stands-by-one-of-the-picture-id502841841

brother-leo-in-front-of-the-christian-brothers-college-he-heads-300-picture-id502248515

Last edited:

Back