marcus_a_j

Member Bio
Reaction score
Pearson given poor grade in airport review

Link to article
Mar 16, 2008 04:02 PM
Dean Beeby
THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA–Toronto's Pearson airport gets low marks for efficiency and fee levels in an internal "scorecard" created by Transport Canada to monitor the financial health of Canada's major airports.

The rankings help confirm Pearson's global reputation as a high-cost facility for both airlines and passengers.

The draft scorecards, created for all 21 airports that Transport Canada has transferred to local management groups in the last two decades, were obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

They measure the productivity and efficiency of the facilities between 2002 and 2006 based on 29 categories, such as the number of passengers processed daily for each airport employee.

Transport 2000, a non-partisan lobby group, analyzed the numbers, specifically ranking Pearson's performance against two other comparable airports in size and growth, Calgary and Vancouver.

"For all measures of cost efficiency ... Toronto was significantly poorer than either Vancouver or Calgary," says the report by the non-profit agency.

"Operating expense per passenger is significantly higher for Toronto than either Vancouver or Calgary."

The analysis showed Toronto processed just 79 passengers daily for each airport employee over the five-year period, compared with 131 for Vancouver and 173 for Calgary.

The report also confirmed what many airlines and passengers know well: landing fees, terminal fees, parking fees and other revenue generators are much higher at Toronto.

Parking revenue over the five years averaged $3.12 for every passenger that passed through Pearson, twice as much as at Calgary and Vancouver.

"This area is a very profitable one for Toronto," says the report by Transport 2000's Gerry Einarsson.

A spokesman for the Greater Toronto Airports Authority, which runs Pearson, said the analysis needs context.

"It is important to remember that during this time (2002-2006) Toronto Pearson was being rebuilt, which explains the additional expenses and debt that other airports did not incur during the same time frame," Scott Armstrong said in a e-mail.

"The construction program was completed in early 2007, and the GTAA has been able to increase revenue and decrease expenses since the variable of construction and terminal changes has stabilized."

He noted that landing fees were trimmed by 3.1 per cent on Jan. 1.

The president of Transport 2000 says Pearson's ambitious $4-billion construction program may be a financial albatross for years to come.

"The airport itself greatly exceeds the capacity that's required right now," said David Jeanes. "They've built for future growth that may not materialize" because increasing fuel costs may curtail air travel.

"We may find ... that Pearson ends up being a white elephant. It may be overbuilt and have built-in costs that in the long term won't be sustainable."

And an airport facility can't readily be converted to other uses, such as housing, Jeanes said.

An industry spokesman laid much of the blame for Pearson's financial performance at the door of the federal government, which leases the property to the GTAA.

"The overall rent burden is way too high," said Fred Gaspar of the Air Transport Association of Canada.

Gaspar said the current GTAA administration is squeezed between debt-servicing for its massive construction program and a demanding landlord, Transport Canada. Those two factors make it much tougher to be cost-competitive and efficient.

Nevertheless, "we think they're headed in the right direction," Gaspar said, citing the recent cuts in landing fees and terminal charges for airlines.

Transport Canada created its airport scorecards under pressure from the federal auditor general, who in a 2005 report criticized the department for failing to properly monitor the impact of its airport policies.

Department spokesman Patrick Charette said the scorecard categories are being modified and shouldn't be used to rank one airport against another.

"For now, it's still an internal document," he said.

A recent global comparison by an expert at the University of British Columbia determined that Pearson is the world's most expensive airport to land an aircraft, far more expensive than the previous highest-cost facility, Tokyo's Narita International.

"We may find ... that Pearson ends up being a white elephant. It may be overbuilt and have built-in costs that in the long term won't be sustainable."

Why is it that on so many occasions Transport 2000 generates an impression that sometimes they don't know what they are talking about. Pearson's numbers may have slowed in growth, but they have not stopped. The only airport that will be affected by this is Pickering.

This sentence deserves a gold medal:

"And an airport facility can't readily be converted to other uses, such as housing, Jeanes said."

Note to the Canadian Press: when your impartial expert source is complaining that an airport terminal can't be converted into housing, it's a pretty sure bet that he's not an impartial expert source. His organization just dislikes aeroplanes.

The story would have done well to mention that Transport 2000's mandate is to promote "environmentally-sound transportation solutions." And bully for them. But it means that their agenda is to curtail air travel as a whole.

Sounds to me like more bullying and complaining from an organization run by a wholly anti toronto and anti ontario federal government. Pearson is doing fine.

he thinks its part of some huge conspiracy by Flaherty to undermine the Ontario govt, so his provincal conservative pals can come to office, with Flaherty on the top.

Pearson erased from report after CEO complaint

Mar 23, 2008 01:01 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS
Thestar.com

OTTAWA–Toronto's Pearson airport is being dropped from a global review of airport efficiency after a complaint about its embarrassingly low ranking.

The president and CEO of the Greater Toronto Airports Authority demanded the removal of Pearson from the annual survey of more than 150 major airports in a toughly worded letter last August.

"Should you decline this request, I see no other recourse than to pursue all means at our disposal to receive fair treatment," Lloyd McCoomb warned the lead researcher at the University of British Columbia.

McCoomb cited a "total lack of academic rigor" and ``unsupported findings" in the survey, saying the research was ``threatening potential harm to our reputation."

The 2007 edition of the report found that Pearson was among the least efficient airports in the world, and that its cost competitiveness was low. The survey noted that aircraft landing fees at Pearson – Canada's largest airport – are the highest in the world.

The survey is published by an international research group of 13 academics, headed by Tae Oum, a business professor at UBC. Detailed results are available for a fee of US$500, to help underwrite research costs, though a free summary is posted on the Internet (www.atrsworld.org/publications.html).

Oum said McCoomb's "intimidating" letter rattled him and, fearing legal action, he consulted the university's lawyer and others. In the end, the research group agreed to cut Pearson from the efficiency analysis in the 2008 edition of the survey, due in late May.

"I have to protect myself," Oum said in an interview.

The 2008 survey, however, will continue to rank Pearson's landing fees and other factual information that is generally available from public sources.

Oum declined to comment on his latest internal findings about Pearson's efficiency, citing McCoomb's letter, but said the airport's ranking has been relatively low for several years.

A spokesman for McCoomb said the president was not threatening legal action but, as a former professor of civil engineering at the University of Toronto, was simply speaking "academic to academic."

"There's no attempt to shut down research," Scott Armstrong said in an interview. "Academic freedom is not an issue.

"What's at issue is we're simply asking that if someone is going to go around making accusations about our company, as any business would be, we're concerned about that, so we want to know where they're coming from."

McCoomb challenged Oum's methodology and asked for access to the raw data so that a third party, hired by the GTAA, could make an independent assessment, Armstrong said. "That request was not honoured."

Oum says the research group decided "to keep the (international) data in house for competitive reasons," but offered to provide McCoomb all the raw data about Pearson, most of which the GTAA itself supplied last summer.

He acknowledged that the group's methodology – well-known among economists – is not the only one applicable, but said even when other analyses of efficiency are used, Pearson's results are similar.

"Basically, your airport needs to improve operating efficiency by benchmarking with more efficient airports," Oum told McCoomb in a written exchange last summer.

The Canadian Press obtained copies of relevant correspondence in the dispute.

At least one subscriber to the three-volume survey said both sides need to resolve the impasse.

"This does concern us," said Fred Gaspar of the Air Transport Association of Canada, representing commercial airlines.

"Clearly, it is in the interest of every stakeholder in commercial aviation to have access to full and transparent information about the costs of the aviation system.

"Dr. Oum is a highly respected academic international aviation researcher, so it would be our hope and expectation that he and the GTAA would be able to sort out any questions related to methodology."

Between 100 and 200 copies of the full airport survey are sold each year, mostly to airlines, investment bankers, airports and industry groups. No other airport has ever demanded to be dropped from the study, Oum said.

The 2007 study's findings echo those of internal Transport Canada ``scorecards" for 21 airport authorities across the country, obtained by The Canadian Press.

An analysis of the scorecards by the non-partisan lobby group Transport 2000 found that Pearson ranks poorly on efficiency when measured against comparable airports, such as Calgary and Vancouver.

Critics say an overly ambitious $4.4-billion construction program, along with high rents charged by Transport Canada, have made it difficult for the GTAA to operate efficiently.

Toronto Airport inefficient.... don't know where they got that.

- Average time I spend going through international at Singapore airport (land, find a gate, deplane, change currency, pick up luggage, go through immigration and out to the curb - 15 - 17 minutes.

- Same situation in Toronto takes me at least an hour typically.

So does it surprise me that Pearson may not be efficient in other ways? No :eek:

When I went to England earlier this month they were ( still! ) testing that high-speed walkway "movator" thing at Pearson. But you can easily keep up with it if you walk at a normal speed on the other one. Maybe it'll be put into service one of these decades, if anyone cares.

A Tale of Two Cities: Navigating Heathrow - helping someone in a wheelchair - was a nightmare of British disorganization, and poor system design. I understand that Air Canada used to run their own wheelchair service to their planes until quite recently, but all the airlines must now use the terminal-wide service, apparently. By contrast, as soon as we deplaned at Pearson everything worked like a dream - the wheelchair and operator were waiting for us, transfer to the speedy little buggy went well, we were met by a third wheelchair operator and taken through customs promptly ... and out into the lobby, a redcap in tow with our priority-tagged luggage, where we hailed a clean, waiting limo with a polite driver for a smooth journey downtown. Top marks to Pearson!

And a clean, bright airport - in comparison to Heathrow's clutter and confusion.

Heathrow Terminal 3 seems to get more cluttered each time I pass through it. I hate the lounge area (aka shopping mall) with a passion.

And do they really need to check your documents 5 times between entering the terminal and boarding the plane?

Apparently Air Canada is going to be moving to Terminal 1 at Heathrow in the next year or two. I understand that's an even worse terminal than 3.

An industry spokesman laid much of the blame for Pearson's financial performance at the door of the federal government, which leases the property to the GTAA.

"The overall rent burden is way too high," said Fred Gaspar of the Air Transport Association of Canada.

How come this doesn't get discussed, well, at all? I'm sure Pearson has more than enough problems of it's own making, but piling punitive rental fees on Pearson seems a bit much. I believe the figure is that Pearson generates a wildly disproportionate 2/3rds of TC's rental revenue. I wont go so far as to say this is part of some Alberta-Harper-Flaherty-Satan axis of anti-Toronto spite (weren't most/all of these policies set by the Liberals?), but I think it is fair to recognize that this is a bit of an unfair burden on Toronto area residents and business. Really, this is just a tax on Toronto air travel in order to subsidize other regions.

EDIT: and yes, the comment with about the shocking unsuitability to convert airports to housing (condo-fy the control tower?) is a bit stupid.

Last edited:
Really, this is just a tax on Toronto air travel in order to subsidize other regions.

It is probably necessary, though, to have an unbalanced burden on Toronto or else you would be transfering costs from international carriers to our domestic carriers.

A fair number of carriers (as I understand it) only fly to Pearson....then if their passengers want to get to other Canadian cities then they transfer to domestic carriers. If Pearson was cheaper, it would lessen the burden on the foreign carriers landing at Pearson. Assuming the revenue is needed, then the cost of getting that passenger to their ultimate Canadian destination would have to be increased by raising the costs at the other Canadian airports.......I am probably not explaining this very well.....but I understand why Pearson costs more than the other airports!

It is probably necessary, though, to have an unbalanced burden on Toronto or else you would be transfering costs from international carriers to our domestic carriers.

A fair number of carriers (as I understand it) only fly to Pearson....then if their passengers want to get to other Canadian cities then they transfer to domestic carriers. If Pearson was cheaper, it would lessen the burden on the foreign carriers landing at Pearson. Assuming the revenue is needed, then the cost of getting that passenger to their ultimate Canadian destination would have to be increased by raising the costs at the other Canadian airports.......I am probably not explaining this very well.....but I understand why Pearson costs more than the other airports!

So you're saying, in order to make other Canadian airport fares cheaper, Pearson has to charge the most because many plans transit there? Why is Pearson shouldering all the costs?

Well, yes, by taxing Pearson and using the revenue to subsidize, say, Halifax international certain domestic flights are cheaper. Isn't that unfair though? I mean, if it is in fact more expensive to fly to a location x than y, isn't that something prospective travelers should take into account? Whats the point? If we raise the cost to travel to Pearson and then just pass on the money to another airport there is no net savings to Canadians. Even assuming the transfer of money was 100% efficient (which I believe violates some laws of physics), at best you come out with no net drop in travel costs.

I never understood WHY Pearson has to pay rent on their land (as it is government-owned land), and WHY is it taxed so much. OK, yes all the improvements, but now that they're done, the fees should be removed. It's getting really annoying how our taxes go to other parts of the country (yes Quebec, I'm looking at you, and the Alberta Oil sands!!).

Back