new relationship will give Toronto Pearson's passengers the option of flying
via one of the U.S.'s leading low-cost carriers from Toronto into the United
States.
"This is good news for our passengers. Many of them have been driving to
Buffalo looking for the best deals from a low-cost airline when travelling
into the U.S. Now they will be able to stay in Toronto, avoid the gas costs
associated with driving to Buffalo, and still take advantage of great deals
and great service through this partnership between WestJet and Southwest,"
said Lloyd McCoomb, President and CEO of the GTAA.
As part of a continuing commitment to make Toronto Pearson more
competitive, the GTAA implemented a landing fee reduction on January 1, 2008,
and has announced a further reduction of 25 per cent on cargo landing fees
effective January 1, 2009. This new codeshare agreement between WestJet and
Southwest Airlines is another step in the process of making Toronto Pearson a
more competitive airport enhancing the economic benefits of this region.
By late 2009, the airlines expect to announce flight schedules and
additional features regarding this new relationship, which gives both airlines
the ability to offer codeshare flights across both networks.

The GTAA is the non-share, not for profit authority that operates Toronto
Pearson. All revenue generated by the GTAA is reinvested back into the
airport. In 2007, 31.5 million passengers travelled through Toronto Pearson.

I recently booked two tickets to NYC from Buffalo for less than the price of one ticket out of Pearson and just got back on Sunday. The drive is very direct, long term parking at the airport is cheap (less than $10/day), and the airport itself is small and efficient.

If they can compete with that eventually, then excellent, but what a difference!

Not a fan of southwest i hate their open seating plan its like a bus. But i bet i will still save more fllying out of Buffalo, canadian tax is way to high on flights. Last flight out of Buffalo to L.A non stop i saved my self $900.

It'll still be much more expensive to fly out of YYZ than BUF due to lack of competition and high airport fees and taxes.

the cheapest fare on megabus that i found was $17 round-trip from toronto to NYC. what i found is that there is no consistancy with their pricing according to time and date.

Not a fan of southwest i hate their open seating plan its like a bus. But i bet i will still save more fllying out of Buffalo, canadian tax is way to high on flights. Last flight out of Buffalo to L.A non stop i saved my self $900.

You guys aren't trying hard enough. My girlfriend and I (two seats) flew to San Fran 3 times this winter (2 seats, 3 round trips = 12 tickets) from Pearson -- two people, for $1044 including all taxes, fees, surcharges, etc.

Woo for Air Canada.

Well i'm sure i could find those deals too if i flew during the winter to san fran. I was flying during the summer to Los Angeles. The one good thing about southwest they do have a lot of direct flights to places like L.A and las vegas. Air Canada has cut back on direct flights to those places the last few years.

Not bad news, but I doubt BUF is worried about losing any Canadian traffic to YYZ. Most of the regular flyers are from Niagara/Hamilton anyway, so BUF is closer and easier to get to, nevermind cheaper.

Considering that taxes and all fees on a typical SWA ticket out of BUF are around $10, there's no way that Pearson could ever undercut their pricing.

I really don't think the arrival of one low cost carrier will shake things up at Pearson which should be notorious by now for gouging passengers who fly to the US.

It will take a lot for me to switch back from BUF, where flights to the western US cost about half what they would set me back at YYZ. Far from slashing fare prices for Torontonians, I'm sure that Southwest will just use Pearson as an opportunity to charge exorbitant prices, albeit slightly less exorbitant than the competition.

I just got a WestJet return fare of $607.29 for YYZ <> LAX for August 13 & 23, or I can go Air Canada on those same days for $629.07 if I want my Aeroplan points.

Weird how the 29 and 07 switch places on the two, but anyway, flying through Buffalo on the same days will cost $406 US via Southwest. A $200 savings is nothing to sneeze at, but then add in the transport costs of getting to Buffalo's airport, and the value of the time it will take, and the savings drop somewhat.

I'm not saying that it's not worth considering Buffalo, but savings of $900 per flight seem highly exaggerated and would likely only be in exceptional cases.

just a suggestion interchange: if you aren't already looking at www.kayak.com i suggest you do. i live in San Diego during the school year and i bought a flight from SD to BUF return on United for only $260...

Last year, I paid $224 Canadian for BUF-LAX via ATL (Delta) in April, all taxes and fees included. The cheapest flight out of Pearson was about $600 total, and this was booking 5 weeks in advance. $900 seems a bit high, but I saved over $350, minus the bus fare (about $30 return, plus NFTA $2).

Megabus works in the same way as Ryanair in aviation. Basically, teaser fairs for $1. The first tickets sold are the cheapers, and then it goes up in blocks, so later in time, and/or when there are less seats, the price will go up.

I took it when I was in the UK, and took it two weeks ago to NY, and it was alright. Took an overnight bus, which was two hours late arriving and ended up taking 12 hours. It was alright, the bus wasn't full, so I got a pair of seats. Customs suck.

I just got a WestJet return fare of $607.29 for YYZ <> LAX for August 13 & 23, or I can go Air Canada on those same days for $629.07 if I want my Aeroplan points.

If you are willing to forgo checked baggage, ability to cancel, and without your points you can typically chop $20 to $30 off the Air Canada fees per direction (so $40 to $60 off the $629.07).

Back