News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think you're misreading the situation? The subway runs from Yonge and Sheppard to Yonge and Don Mills/Finch? Instead of continuing to build subway all the way to STC, they're going to build LRT the rest of the way to extend Sheppard line. As for having LRT from Yonge to Finch along Sheppard, they might have one possibly? I think they have buses running along that line. The LRT would replace the buses if they do plan that.

I think you're misreading the situation? The subway runs from Yonge and Sheppard to Yonge and Don Mills/Finch? Instead of continuing to build subway all the way to STC, they're going to build LRT the rest of the way to extend Sheppard line. As for having LRT from Yonge to Finch along Sheppard, they might have one possibly? I think they have buses running along that line. The LRT would replace the buses if they do plan that.

The subway is what drives the value along that line, LTR will only decrease that.

huh? So the current value of the Sheppard line would decrease the value of Sheppard's existing line if an LRT was added? I think if it doesn't increase, it wouldn't decrease it unless people were buying it expecting the city to extend the Sheppard subway line to STC or further. The most important thing is the Sheppard subway connects to Yonge which I don't think they will just leave it unused since millions were spent on it. However they might change the buses that currently run a long Sheppard to an LRT maybe.

If you look at Option 2 they will take out the subway trains!

Meaning that the current subway line from Sheppard to Don Mill will be turned into LTR.

This option would see the existing Sheppard subway retrofitted and converted to LRT in order to
create a continuous LRT from Meadowvale Road in the east to Humber College in the west. The
line would go underground at Consumers Road similar to the alignment proposed for Option 1
(crossing Highway 404 in a tunnel). However, unlike Option 1, this option assumes that the
Sheppard LRT would replace the Sheppard subway and continue westward in the existing tunnel
to Yonge Street.[b/] At Yonge street the LRT would return to at-grade and continue westward along
Sheppard Avenue in an exclusive right-of-way in the centre of the road before transitioning
northward via Allen Road to Finch Avenue. It would continue westward to the terminus at
Humber College. Figure 4 illustrates this option.
By retro-fitting the existing Sheppard subway to LRT, it will not be possible connect the Sheppard
subway with the Spadina subway in the future

Last edited:
So basically, you have an LRT running on the subway line. It's still underground and will stop at the same stations as current ones. Is there a big difference between having a subway train running on the Sheppard line rather than a Light Rail Train running on the Sheppard line? LRT drives slower than trains even without traffic?

I always thought that converting the Sheppard Subway to use LRV should be an option to be looked at. And it is only an option.

I like option 2 (continuous LRT via Sheppard Subway), option 4 (separate LRT with extended subway to Downsview station), and then option 3 (continuous LRT via Don Mills Road) in that order. Option 1 (two LRT lines, current plan) and option 5 (Finch West LRT to Sheppard station) are not as good as the others.

Back