News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Since GO is looking at up to 5 minute frequencies on its main lines, they have the opportunity to run some skip-stop services where half of the minor stations are skipped by one train, then the other half skipped by the next train. They would all still have 10 minute service, and connect to all the major stations without drastically reducing overall journey times.
Exactly. Lots of new stations can be added without reducing travel times as long as there are local and express trains, which GO already has. Of course, that wouldn't have much use to the Peterborough line, which might not even be GO anyway.

Rocket,

Did you look at the Lakeshore electrification study?

Now it did not involve new stations, but it showed a steeper reduction in travel times than 15% as I recall.

Yup, just looked it up, for local service, the BCA says 21.6% reduction in travel time, Hamilton to Toronto.

How do you resolve that? Just curious.

The line I used as a comparison has stations spaced much closer together (every 3 km average as opposed to every 6 km average). The ~15% number I'm quoting is the net increase when you factor in that they stop more often. If you do not add any more stations then you get 20%+, but that's not what my research was about.

The question I sought to answer was "Will MU trains allow us to add more stops to the line?"

The answer that I found was "A few stops here and there will be fine but not at every concession."

The solution is a mixture of all things. Electric service, MU trains and skip-stop service - not any one part of that trilogy is the magic bullet. But, GO should be making service increases in the mean time while we wait for these goodies to come online. Mega-projects are great, but it can't hurt throw a few more midday buses at the problem in the mean time.

Last edited:
I dont think the average line even needs more than one or two more stations. Outside of the 416 the stations are fairly consistently spaced. Its the large gaps inside Toronto that need to be filled.

^^ I do have to agree with you. Richmond Hill should be getting two more stations (Eglinton and Queen,) and Georgetown should be getting some station south of Bloor, one at Eglinton, and one in the Junction.

Other than that, I'd say that none of the other lines really need more stations. So the advantages of EMUs shouldn't even be negated by increased service from stations, which is good for my 40 minute trip to Union :D

EDIT: But don't get me started on the Milton Line. I think that it needs a lot of work to reach it's full potential, which would involve combining it with the Midtown line. But, that'd be in line with providing more stations in the 416, so I still agree.

^^ I do have to agree with you. Richmond Hill should be getting two more stations (Eglinton and Queen,) and Georgetown should be getting some station south of Bloor, one at Eglinton, and one in the Junction.

Other than that, I'd say that none of the other lines really need more stations. So the advantages of EMUs shouldn't even be negated by increased service from stations, which is good for my 40 minute trip to Union :D

EDIT: But don't get me started on the Milton Line. I think that it needs a lot of work to reach it's full potential, which would involve combining it with the Midtown line. But, that'd be in line with providing more stations in the 416, so I still agree.

Noooo! Milton cannot be diverted from Union! I don't want to take the GO train or bus to North Toronto. I want to go downtown!

relax, you'd only be going to Summerhill..

Not useful at all for all the mississaugans who work downtown. The trip would take almost as long and instead of landed you within walking distance of your office you get dumped onto an overcrowded subway for another 10-15 minutes.

Moving the Milton line from Union to North Toronto... Just one question:

Why?

If there's no rationale for doing something then we probably shouldn't do it. I don't see the rationale for doing it.

There are two big advantages to using North Toronto Stn (Summerhill)

1. Union only has so much capacity. Moving some trips (either entire routes, or some trains from a number of routes) to North Toronto will allow GO to run more service without overloading the capacity at Union and its approach tracks.

2. It brings a new crosstown transit service to the city. It could be a useful addition to the GO network, assuming enough riders can access it and get somewhere useful.

I'd prefer to see every second or third train from milton, bolton, richmond hill, georgetown, stoufville, locust hill, etc. routed through north toronto, while all other trips continue to serve union. Seems like it gives some choice to a lot of GO riders about where they want to end up.

I don't think they'd make one line to go to Summerhill. I think they'd make trains from multiple lines go to Summerhill, depending on demand. Like every fourth train from the Stouffville line, every third train from the Milton line, etc. For people working north of College it would make a lot of sense.

edit: jwill beat me to it,

I don't see Mississaugans having any interest in going to Summerhill.

Now if they opened a NEW line that served Mississauga and then went through Summerhill, ok, but not taking all of Milton off Union. It just doesn't make sense. Milton is the busiest line after Lakeshore E/W. And it would just overload Yonge even more.

There are two big advantages to using North Toronto Stn (Summerhill)

1. Union only has so much capacity. Moving some trips (either entire routes, or some trains from a number of routes) to North Toronto will allow GO to run more service without overloading the capacity at Union and its approach tracks.

2. It brings a new crosstown transit service to the city. It could be a useful addition to the GO network, assuming enough riders can access it and get somewhere useful.

I'd prefer to see every second or third train from milton, bolton, richmond hill, georgetown, stoufville, locust hill, etc. routed through north toronto, while all other trips continue to serve union. Seems like it gives some choice to a lot of GO riders about where they want to end up.

I'm guessing a hypothetical Mississauga-Scarborough crosstown service could be useful for many east-west commuters as a quicker alternative to the Bloor-Danforth subway, much the same way a Richmond Hill GO express service could be well used by many north-south travellers bypassing much of the Yonge corridor to get downtown.

Back