News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

What Scarborough needs is both subway and express bus service. Even on Lawrence the service (disservice?) is so bad that the drivers on other routes grumble about it.

Scarborough needs a subway to STC to connect it to the rest of the city, and much better bus service to provide a real alternative to the car.

Mike -

Have you considered petitioning to allow GO to provide this service? It's a fairly long distance, and making a quick trip downtown for riders from scarborough is not something the TTC could possibly provide at a reasonable fare recovery rate.

I don't think you're wrong in what you want here, better public transit would be of great use, the same in Rexdale. However I just question how you're going about it. I think the problem lies in GO not being able to provide service exclusively within Toronto, where in a situation like this it would make so much sense...

He's mentioned many times that he wants GO to provide the service, and he even works at GO, but every time he brings it up, they make it clear that policy requires that they not operate any routes that are purely within the City of Toronto.

The service has to be of a TTC nature. GO can not provide service within City of Toronto limits.

Ontop of that having GO provide the service would not help, because people are paying more then one fare, etc to access transit.

TTC charge express fares, etc for some routes if they want.

Ontop of that having GO provide the service would not help, because people are paying more then one fare, etc to access transit.

TTC charge express fares, etc for some routes if they want.
You're kind of contradicting yourself here. Don't use TTC and GO because it's more than one fare, but charge TTC express fares? Isn't that just as inconvenient for pass and ticket holders? Also, once the GTTA implements their single card system, this won't be a problem. Hopefully they'll also get rid of the borders in which GO can pick up and drop people off.

Not really contradicting because its easier to pay an express fare on one transit system then two. I use to do it when I took the Don Valley Express each day. All it cost was an extra 30 bucks on my metropass, and they put a little sticker on it. It was simple. Must more easy then buying two sets of tickets from two different transit systems, and having to walk between different transit terminals, etc.

e's mentioned many times that he wants GO to provide the service, and he even works at GO, but every time he brings it up, they make it clear that policy requires that they not operate any routes that are purely within the City of Toronto.

This should change after the GTTA is in place and sadly need in all areas of Toronto.

There needs to be express buses as a city of the whole and do away with the double fare if the City wants a green city as well getting riders out of their cars.

There needs to be a total make over for TTC, but most of all NEW LRT lines like 450km just to start to service 10 highest ridership routes.

GO fare in Toronto should be the same fare as TTC with transfers.

As I see it the issues are:
(a) Scarborough is as far out as Mississauga but the GO doesn't provide service in Toronto despite the fact Toronto has in the past paid its fair share for GO and taxpayers pay similar amounts to the province in taxes. I don't see a good reason why GO shouldn't be providing service in Scarborough.
(b) The whole SRT this screws up transit in Scarborough because it is at capacity and requires and extra transfer to the subway. Some bus routes in Scarborough barely take notice of the SRT's existence and instead focus their route terminus at a true subway station. With a subway to SCC hopefully this would change with more routes focused on SCC and Lawrence East stations and less to Kennedy which is too long a trip.

With these two issues resolved Scarborough transit would be just as good as most places in the city.

Good luck with the petition miketoronto.

Just don't use your own examples in the text for the reasoning of why better transit in scab. is warranted.

I'm wondering how long it can possibly take to type said petition. Then again, I'm still wondering where the hell downtown Paris is too.

(a) Scarborough is as far out as Mississauga but the GO doesn't provide service in Toronto despite the fact Toronto has in the past paid its fair share for GO and taxpayers pay similar amounts to the province in taxes. I don't see a good reason why GO shouldn't be providing service in Scarborough.

But GO is forbidden by law to pick up passengers in Toronto, same as the 905 systems. This is the issue Miketoronto should be concentrating on.

I don't think GO is forbidden by law to pick up passengers in Scarborough. I've taken the Lakeshore East plenty of times from Eglinton Stn to Union Stn as do many others. Even the Rouge Hill Stn picks up nearly as many people as it does at Pickering Stn.

I was under the impression that GO can pick up people in the 416 as long as the route originates in the 905 or serves it along the way.

GO is allowed to carry people on the trains within Toronto and also on any bus route that starts in the 905 and ends in Toronto. Thats why you can ride a GO BUS from STC to York Mills.

However GO can not provide a service that is designed to service Toronto residents.

That is why the off peak train-buses must bypass Toronto stations. Thats why Agincourt Station for example has no off peak bus service. Because its within Toronto and the TTC provides a service that can get you there in non peak times from downtown.

You also can't ride a GO BUS up or down Yonge Street in North York, if your travel is fully within Toronto city limits.

The only area GO is allowed to provide bus service to cater to Toronto residents is in the Leslie Street corridor to Oriole Station and Old Cummer Stations(does this little loop in the law have anything to do with wealth, I wonder, as that route passes through some very very high income areas).

Back