News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

iTunes is the worst, no doubt. However you'll only ever have to see it when you sync, and I sync my phone once a month if that. There are a bunch of apps if you want to use it as a storage device and avoid syncing all the time.

Foobar is a good, lightweight tool as an alternative for playing and organizing your media as opposed to iTunes but Apple, being the control freak that it is, keeps tight reins on anything that will actually sync with iPod's/iPhones. Winamp also has a media player/organizer that will sync with non touch screen Apple products plus they offer a plug-in for older touch products but it's not a guaranteed workaround.

Foobar is a good, lightweight tool as an alternative for playing and organizing your media as opposed to iTunes but Apple, being the control freak that it is, keeps tight reins on anything that will actually sync with iPod's/iPhones. Winamp also has a media player/organizer that will sync with non touch screen Apple products plus they offer a plug-in for older touch products but it's not a guaranteed workaround.

Ya, I use Winamp for my day to day, and iTunes for the sync.

Rogers launches Chatr unlimited service. "Fewer dropped calls than the other new entrants" a Chatr spokesperson says. Let the battle continue!

I wouldn't worry about this at all.
The Samsung Touch Wiz UI looks just as pretty and is far more robust than IOS.

To give you an example, it's a pretty blatent rip off of the iphone in terms of icons and appearance, however you can add live widgets to each screen (there are 7 screens you can flick to). On one I have the weather and google live search (with voice search) in addition to my most used icons, on another I have facebook notifications open, another has a stock ticker that's always running etc etc... It actually looks far more "polished" than Iphone which is just a collection of static icons and nothing more. You can really personalize it and make it your own. The animated wallpapers are really neat too (I currently have Mario running through various levels in the background). PDF files are no problem either.

I've owned an Iphone before (although not the 4) and can honestly tell you that Android is a much better experience (if you're the least bit tech savvy, which you seem to be).

They're both winners - but if you're going to be reading PDF's the Galaxy's screen alone should tip you towards it, then you can consider the other bonuses such as the micro SD card slot, replaceable battery, not having to convert your video files etc and it's pretty much a no brainer to me. I didn't enjoy being trapped in Apple world when I had my first Iphone (the main reason I just started using my company Blackberry as my personal phone).

I think you can output via HDMI with a Galaxy S too (needs a micro USB - HDMI cable though).

I wouldn't worry about Android Apps either - it's just a matter of time before they overtake the iPhone in that regard.

I wouldn't worry about Android Apps either - it's just a matter of time before they overtake the iPhone in that regard.

Ya, it only took Mac's 20 years to catch up to Windows in application selection.

Ya, it only took Mac's 20 years to catch up to Windows in application selection.

It still hasn`t. :p

Android development is pretty open. As the platform gains traction you can be sure more and more developers will jump on board.

Just about any app of any significance is either on both platforms or on the way to Android now. Developers aren't going to turn a blind eye to a profitable market.
The truth about Iphone apps (and a great deal of Android apps) is that 90% of them are just rubbish or are just different flavours of apps that serve the same purpose.

I imagine that due to the open nature of Android it won't be long before we see far more innovations happening on that side first. The iron fist of Apple will have to change or eventually Iphone will slip into a smaller but cult-like share of the market (more so than Macs). The hardware advantage is lost, Iphone is well behind the curve there, and once the competition fully catches up on the software side (even though you can argue that Android is vastly superior) it's going to be hard to justify an Iphone purchase other than going for brand recognition.

Just about any app of any significance is either on both platforms or on the way to Android now. Developers aren't going to turn a blind eye to a profitable market.
The truth about Iphone apps (and a great deal of Android apps) is that 90% of them are just rubbish or are just different flavours of apps that serve the same purpose.

I imagine that due to the open nature of Android it won't be long before we see far more innovations happening on that side first. The iron fist of Apple will have to change or eventually Iphone will slip into a smaller but cult-like share of the market (more so than Macs). The hardware advantage is lost, Iphone is well behind the curve there, and once the competition fully catches up on the software side (even though you can argue that Android is vastly superior) it's going to be hard to justify an Iphone purchase other than going for brand recognition.

When you factor in the iPhone reception issues, I think the Galaxy S is the obvious choice for now between the two. Apparently iOS 4 is quite buggy on older iPhone models so that doesn`t seem like a good option either.

When you factor in the iPhone reception issues, I think the Galaxy S is the obvious choice for now between the two. Apparently iOS 4 is quite buggy on older iPhone models so that doesn`t seem like a good option either.

iOS 4.1, which is now in beta, is expected to address a few of the bugs on older (pre-3GS) iPhone/iPod's + speed issues.

http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/apple/article/841986--don-t-believe-the-negative-hype-iphone-4-rocks?bn=1

Wow I can't believe the Star hired a PR firm to write a review for the Iphone4 and plaster it on the front page.
What an unbalanced piece of garbage. Yes it's an excellent phone, but it's one with a number of shortcomings verse its competitors.
He's impressed with face time? Something that competitors have been doing for years, except on an open platform? Really?
When he says its the most impressive smartphone he's ever used obviously it's the only one he's ever used.

http://www.thestar.com/business/com...believe-the-negative-hype-iphone-4-rocks?bn=1

Wow I can't believe the Star hired a PR firm to write a review for the Iphone4 and plaster it on the front page.
What an unbalanced piece of garbage. Yes it's an excellent phone, but it's one with a number of shortcomings verse its competitors.
He's impressed with face time? Something that competitors have been doing for years, except on an open platform? Really?
When he says its the most impressive smartphone he's ever used obviously it's the only one he's ever used.

He's a regular contributor to The Star, but I agree the article didn't seem too impartial.

It's a nice phone, but there are others out there just as good and arguably better.

I've read a lot comparing Galaxy S and the iPhone 4, and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. Apple's display is higher resolution, but Galaxy S' screen is larger and the colours more vibrant. Apple's camera seems superior and it has a camera flash. Galaxy S is expandable and has the potential to use flash when web browsing. The build of the iPhone seems more solid, less plasticky. And then there's the issue of the operating system. So, no, there's no clear winner. It's really a matter of preference.

I've read a lot comparing Galaxy S and the iPhone 4, and there doesn't seem to be a clear winner. Apple's display is higher resolution, but Galaxy S' screen is larger and the colours more vibrant. Apple's camera seems superior and it has a camera flash. Galaxy S is expandable and has the potential to use flash when web browsing. The build of the iPhone seems more solid, less plasticky. And then there's the issue of the operating system. So, no, there's no clear winner. It's really a matter of preference.

Yeah, that was my preference. Unless it's urgent, I'd probably just wait until the HTC 4 EVO arrives. Android phone, better camera, HDMI out, etc.

Galaxy S' screen is larger and the colours more vibrant. Apple's camera seems superior and it has a camera flash. Galaxy S is expandable and has the potential to use flash when web browsing. The build of the iPhone seems more solid, less plasticky. And then there's the issue of the operating system. So, no, there's no clear winner. It's really a matter of preference.

The extra half inch isn't much to write home about IMO. On the memory front, I've never come close to hitting the phones capacity nor do I know anyone who has. I guess if you're going to use it as another hard drive the option to expand is probably a deal maker, but then again you can allways sync your files to the cloud with the iPhone.

Back