News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I agree, more levels are needed for it to be a more interesting skyline.
It's still incredible how many different downtowns Toronto has...

the radio tower kind of helps the interest from this angle... but it is located at Eglinton/Pharmacy. I know it well as I spent my first 2 years of college at Centennial's Ashtonbee Campus. I think some of the individual buildings at STC are quite interesting, but they still have a long way to go to tie the area together as a whole.

The city has 4 downtowns. Downtown proper, Scarborough City Centre, Etobicoke City Centre and North York City Centre.

STC needs help at ground level. The skyline should be the least of our concerns.

I prefer the title "Urban Centre" over "Downtown".

Yah, it my not be as impressive as the core by it has a certain character.

Mississauga sorta counts as one of Toronto's "downtowns"... just because its so close!!!
I don't mind seeing a 150m tower (like hullmarks height) creating a mountain peak over there.

That ugly tower at the Bell site on Pharmacy is one of the most objectional eyesores in all of Toronto! It can be seen for miles around.
I've hated its appearance for 20 or more years.
How could civic officials have allowed such a monstrosity to be approved without some imaginative and creative cosmetic design?

I actually like it because it's so overwhelming and visible. It and the nearly windowless building beside it give off a bit of a dystopian future vibe too, and as a fan of movies like Bladerunner, I think it's pretty cool.

I love it, it completely and utterly dominates anything close it, the same way the CN tower dominates downtown. Scarborough already has its 150m 'tower' :p. A skyline with nothing but buildings is boring. Masts/tower/stacks add diversity and points of interest. It was a sad day for me when they took down the 'Eiffel on Jarvis' and then the 'four sisters'. These structure are monuments to a bygone era. But they're not preserved because they're not as attractive as other relics from the past.

Scarborough's city centre does really need one all defining tower, say 50 or 60 storeys, in much the same way Yonge and Eglinton got the Minto tower to dominate its skyline. But I am sure that will come in time.

Scarborough's city centre does really need one all defining tower, say 50 or 60 storeys, in much the same way Yonge and Eglinton got the Minto tower to dominate its skyline. But I am sure that will come in time.

It’s ironic that back in the late 60’s & early 70’s when this area’s master-plan was designed, Moriyama envisioned a concentrated multi-purpose low to mid-rise built form. Earlier this spring during a Jane’s Walk of this neighbourhood, Ron Watson (former Scarborough councillor) showed artist renderings & sketches of Moriyama’s original intent.
How times have changed.
With that being said, I do agree that a taller “signature†tower would be a welcome addition to the SCC.

Back