News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

If the goal is to align road design speed with posted speed limits, we can't just put them at schools. At schools I would suggest raised crossings with centre refuges.
Why not do both?? Centre refuges and speed bumps.
Thats even better.

But we all know these photo speed cameras are about money, right??
Its a road tax disguised as pedestrian safety

- snow removal truck can just skip the speed bumps. Thats would they probably do now on streets that have the bumps.
[/QUOTE]
Not exactly sure what you mean. Don't plow streets around schools? The leading edge of the plow is 20'-25' ahead of the operator - pretty tough to lift it at just the right time. Then you create an unplowed barrier.
- slower emergency vehicle response, but we're talking literally seconds. And yes I know seconds can cost lives, but I think thats offset by far fewer pedestrian deaths.
[/QUOTE]
Perhaps. Potentially reading one life for another.
- heavy vehicles going a lot slower is a good thing.
[/QUOTE]
True. school buses would literally have to crawl over them because the passengers aren't belted.
- who cares what the neighbourhood thinks.
Not you, apparently.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Don't plow streets around schools? The leading edge of the plow is 20'-25' ahead of the operator - pretty tough to lift it at just the right time. Then you create an unplowed barrier
We'll make prisoner chain gangs remove the snow manually

chain_gang.png

Why not do both?? Centre refuges and speed bumps.
Thats even better.

But we all know these photo speed cameras are about money, right??
Its a road tax disguised as pedestrian safety
A raised crossing is effectively a speed bump.

So I dont mean to beat a dead horse here, but I'm from Oakville and I used to drive by Maple Grove school every day.
They have the perfect solution for speeders. Speed bumps on both sides of the road.
You have to slow down or you'll ruin your car.
I drive a jeep Grand Cherokee and even going too fast in my car would cause damage.
Imagine what it would do to a sedan.

Obviously these streets are getting snowplowed every winter, so getting rid of snow cant be a problem

Maple-Grove.jpg

One thing I'm confused about. There is a lot of talk about putting in speed bumps next to schools. Sure, fine, let's do that, but, umm, kids (and seniors) walk on all of the streets in Toronto. Are we going to be putting up speed bumps on every street? Actually, putting speed bumps every 20m on every street in Toronto is a platform I could get behind.

Also, pickup trucks completely ignore speed bumps on my street. They race down @ 70km on a 30 street right to the edge where there is a lower part. Tons of kids on my street. Does absolutely nothing to slow them down.

One thing I'm confused about. There is a lot of talk about putting in speed bumps next to schools. Sure, fine, let's do that, but, umm, kids (and seniors) walk on all of the streets in Toronto. Are we going to be putting up speed bumps on every street? Actually, putting speed bumps every 20m on every street in Toronto is a platform I could get behind.

Also, pickup trucks completely ignore speed bumps on my street. They race down @ 70km on a 30 street right to the edge where there is a lower part. Tons of kids on my street. Does absolutely nothing to slow them down.
I am perfectly okay with that too.
Lets put up speed bumps in all school zones, and also on all high accident streets.

AFA as pickup trucks is concerned, I dont know how you solve that.
Not everyone will drive the speed limit in regular cars either, whether there are cameras or not

I am perfectly okay with that too.
Lets put up speed bumps in all school zones, and also on all high accident streets.

AFA as pickup trucks is concerned, I dont know how you solve that.
Not everyone will drive the speed limit in regular cars either, whether there are cameras or not
Boulders. Even pickup trucks with have a bad day if they sideswipe or clip a boulder.

Pedestrian accidents have actually gone up lately, instead of down.
I'll bet a lot of that is people looking at their smartphone instead of keeping an eye on where they are walking

• Angry
Reactions: T3G
Are most of the people who are hit by cars not those with mental or mobility challenges?

Then, of course, there are times when, plain and simply, one cannot anticipate something that is going to happen. I myself have almost been run over by cars while on pedestrian crosswalks because the driver runs into the crosswalk at full speed and doesn't slow until he is right about to enter the car part of the intersection. I didn't see the car coming because it was a multi lane road and there were already cars in the left side lane blocking my view. These imbeciles should have their cars reposessed and sold for scrap.

Pedestrian accidents have actually gone up lately, instead of down.
I'll bet a lot of that is people looking at their smartphone instead of keeping an eye on where they are walking

Do you have any actual proof of this, or are you just libelling 200 people all at once?

Back