Member Bio
Reaction score
Renegade regions keep on sprawling

Provincial plan being ignored, report finds
Aug 14, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story (3)
PHINJO GOMBU
URBAN AFFAIRS REPORTER

Several Golden Horseshoe municipalities are bucking Ontario's ambitious sprawl-busting plan by submitting local plans that contradict its goals, says a report by the Ontario Greenbelt Alliance.

Others have slowed the process by missing a crucial deadline.

The report warns that if the government doesn't stand up to these local challenges, its internationally lauded Places to Grow plan could be derailed – leading to unchecked development, worse congestion, and a deteriorating quality of life.

The report, cheekily titled Places to Sprawl, says some big regions, such as York and Peel, missed a June deadline to finalize plans conforming to provincial guidelines. Meanwhile, councils in Durham, Niagara and Simcoe County have passed plans headed for conflict on the crucial question of how much land needs to be urbanized.

Towns and cities have been granted extensions until next summer to develop their own localized plans.

"Our overall assessment of the progress in Places to Grow is there have been some steps forward, some municipalities are taking it seriously, and in some cases the province is doing the right thing," said Rick Smith, executive director of Environmental Defence, one of the report's co-authors.

"But overall the effort is completely behind schedule and in some places, like Simcoe County and Durham Region, threatens to go totally off the rails."

Particularly pointed criticism is directed at Durham, which the report says has "completely disregarded the Places to Grow Act."

"By inflating employment growth numbers by 25,000 over what was determined for the area in conjunction with the Ontario government, Durham council is trying to justify the destruction of prime agricultural land," it says.

The report also raises alarm about Simcoe County development that leapfrogs north of the Greenbelt in places like Bradford West Gwillimbury, where the province, under pressure, has agreed to a major employment zone off Highway 400.

Waterloo Region gets kudos for strict mining policies and protection of sensitive lands. Halton Region is lauded for mapping out an enhanced natural heritage system of greenbelt-style protections.

The report also praises Toronto for a plan enhancing green space with community gardens and a bylaw requiring green roofs on large buildings.

Places to Grow, launched four years ago, imposes population growth limits, encourages higher density and requires regions to ensure that at least 40 per cent of future development occurs in built-up areas. That involves a massive change in planning rules in southern Ontario, Smith said.

So far, Halton, Peel, Durham and York have estimated they'll need almost 8,000 hectares of new land for development by 2031 – an area about the size of Barrie.

Durham's plan illustrates a thorny emerging issue, the report says: municipalities' use of optimistic job-growth projections to justify expanding their urban boundaries.

Critics say they're trying to get more land rezoned than is needed. If past experience is any indication, they say, the predicted jobs won't materialize and much of that rezoned land will end up being used for lucrative low-density housing.

Oshawa Mayor John Gray, head of Durham's planning committee and a staunch critic of Environmental Defence, dismissed the report, saying Durham's employment projections are bigger than the province's because it believes more jobs are needed to create live-work than commuter communities.

WHAT'S GOT PLANNERS RILED

Durham Region: Provincial planners are at loggerheads with local politicians over employment projections meant to justify potential rezoning and development on 2,868 hectares.

Simcoe County: The province has a credibility problem here, says the report. This year, it put forth competing visions for the Lake Simcoe area, one an act protecting its fragile watershed, the other proposing that five of seven areas for development be placed there – trying to counter a problematic county plan that would have scattered development. The plan also supports converting 739 hectares of prime farmland into employment zones along Highway 400, despite indications the county and GTA already have sufficient industrial-zoned land.

Niagara Region: Its official plan sets out "inflated population growth numbers" to justify low-density sprawl that could lead to losing more high quality farmland.

York Region: Study authors praise the new transit system but question the need to expand Highway 404 north through the Greenbelt. The province has appealed York's plan for a Highway 400 employment zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm sure the growth numbers prepared by Durham and Niagara are more accurate and detailed than the broad brush numbers applied by the province in P2G.

Also, they want to give municipalities a hard time for not being ready in june. right, cuz that's fair, cuz the province delivers everything no time. how many times was the release of the built boundary delayed? how many times was the times was the urban growth centre size/location delayed?

these guys should go hug a tree and be happy there is a growth plan.

Mississauga's Hazel McCallion is running for her 12th term as mayor. In her comments to the Toronto Sun, she said:

She says her main objective in the next term would be improving Mississauga's public transit system.

"It's very difficult to build a public transit in a city where you have a cul-de-sacs and residential streets that do not accommodate buses," she adds.

To the other municipalities, learn by Mississauga's mistakes. Avoid sprawl. Develop and build for transit and pedestrians, not the car. Avoid single-use zoning, go for multi-use, mult-level buildings. Avoid low density, as it has a dependency on the car. Allow duplexes, triplexes, and granny flats.

Mississauga's Hazel McCallion is running for her 12th term as mayor. In her comments to the Toronto Sun, she said:

To the other municipalities, learn by Mississauga's mistakes. Avoid sprawl. Develop and build for transit and pedestrians, not the car. Avoid single-use zoning, go for multi-use, mult-level buildings. Avoid low density, as it has a dependency on the car. Allow duplexes, triplexes, and granny flats.

Makes you wonder what Hazel had been thinking for the past 40 years. Ah well better late than never right?

Durham is controlled by the developers. All the politicians there are paid by the developers. The one who isn't is the mayor of Ajax, forgot his name. And Ajax does seem better planned that the rest of Durham.

Of course, Mississauga is controlled by developers too, but they can't complain here because Mississauga is already built out. But look at the lack of public parks in Mississauga, they all the land to the developers here, it's just sad. Rouge Park alone is probably bigger than all the parks in Mississauga combined. That said, Mississauga seems to be only 905 that has made a serious effort at intensification.

Mississauga seems to be only 905 that has made a serious effort at intensification.

It may have been the first to intensify in any real way, but it's hardly the only 905 city to be intensifying anymore. Mississauga's density is mostly attributed to the fact that it's 100% developed. At a density of about 2300 people/km square (2006), it is comparable to Newmarket, 2100 people/kmsq (2009), which is the only other built out 905 municipality.

Speaking of Newmarket, what's their development plan? They're basically totally built out, but I still hear things about Newmarket politicians wanting to "keep the traditional low-density." I'm not expecting high-rises or anything, but mixed-use mid-rises would be perfect to just totally line Yonge St. and Davis Drive. Is that what they're looking at right now?

And Mississauga just has a head start on all the other 905 regions. It was built out long before any other places in the 905, and then turned to high density to continue growing. They could do a much better job at building densely though. MCC is a mess right now. :(

It may have been the first to intensify in any real way, but it's hardly the only 905 city to be intensifying anymore. Mississauga's density is mostly attributed to the fact that it's 100% developed. At a density of about 2300 people/km square (2006), it is comparable to Newmarket, 2100 people/kmsq (2009), which is the only other built out 905 municipality.

Newmarket hardly as any employment lands, and neither does it have the largest airport in Canada. Considering that nonresidential use make over 1/4 of in Mississauga, it must be at least 30% denser than Newmarket, despite the huge amount of land reserved for high-density hat have not even been developed yet.

You should take a drive down Hurontario, if you think Mississauga is comparable to Newmarket. What corridor in Newmarket is Hurontario comparable to? Or maybe you could take the bus and compare the level of bus service to that of Newmarket and see if it is comparable. Somehow I doubt it is.

Durham is controlled by the developers. All the politicians there are paid by the developers. The one who isn't is the mayor of Ajax, forgot his name. And Ajax does seem better planned that the rest of Durham.

The amount of developer money that flows to city councils in the GTA is astounding. One of the main jobs of a municipal politician is to regulate development, but in many cases more than half the money that gets them reelected comes directly from developers. Here is a good report looking at the sources of municipal funding.

The worst city seems to be Whitby where 63.5% of all the donations to municipal candidates comes from companies with ties to the development industry. Here are the numbers for the rest of the region:

Ajax - 24.9%
Brampton - 51.7%
Markham - 29.3%
Mississauga - 43.2%
Oshawa - 45.6%
Pickering - 55.7%
Richmond Hill - 53.5%
Toronto - 8.3%
Vaughan - 57.2%
Whitby - 63.5

The amount of developer money that flows to city councils in the GTA is astounding. One of the main jobs of a municipal politician is to regulate development, but in many cases more than half the money that gets them reelected comes directly from developers. Here is a good report looking at the sources of municipal funding.

The worst city seems to be Whitby where 63.5% of all the donations to municipal candidates comes from companies with ties to the development industry. Here are the numbers for the rest of the region:

Ajax - 24.9%
Brampton - 51.7%
Markham - 29.3%
Mississauga - 43.2%
Oshawa - 45.6%
Pickering - 55.7%
Richmond Hill - 53.5%
Toronto - 8.3%
Vaughan - 57.2%
Whitby - 63.5

Yes, that is crazy, but not surprising. Ajax is by far the lowest in the GTA, again not surprising, but how much of that is due to the mayor? The mayor's name is Steve Parrish, and he was only one on Durham Council that supports the greenbelt. The others have been actively trying to undermine the greenbelt. I just read an interview where Mr Parrish has called for a ban on developer contributions to municipal candidates, what do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

Ajax is a wonderful city. It's transit system was by far the most developed when it was taken over by Durham Region Transit, and it's continuing to support sustainable activity and development to this day.

I was surprised when I learned a few months ago how bad Durham is at the whole sustainable development thing, as I normally first think farmland when I think of Durham. But the thing that interests me is that a large amount of the farmland is very poor.

This is what I would do for maximum growth and sustainability.

The first is to find the areas of land that have the richest soil, and mechanize farming in those areas, with proper crop rotation to ensure the soil becomes even richer. Also find pieces of flat land that would be suitable for large greenhouses and hydroponics operations. This would do a couple things. First, it would hep the economy of the region and the municipalities that don't have as strong industrial or business ties (I'm thinking Brock, Scugog and Clarington here.) It would also help the sustainability of the region by allowing it to produce more of it's own food, and would in general increase food production in the world (which is a good thing (y))

Then, I would find small pockets of land with poor soil and good possible transportation connections, such as being near existing rail tracks or previously existing rail corridors. I would allow developers develop those small parcels of land to create small but dense and sustainable neighborhoods with strong transit connections. Totally planned communities, with a small Main St. sided by 4 or 5 story mixed-use buildings, with a kilometer ring of dense townhouses. This would be an appeal to those who want to avoid the crowdedness of the city, but would give them a sustainable option instead. These would be miniature, modern garden cities.

For the rest of the land that has basically no agricultural value, just leave it the way it is. Either let hobby farmers/laid back farmers continue doing what they're doing, or plant a forest there :)

Who knows if it's the right thing to do, but I like higher output farming, and I also like garden cities. It's a match made in heaven. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I have two questions.

First of all, what are the rules, regulations and restrictions on building greenhouses and such in the greenbelt? I know that pretty much any building requires a crapload of paperwork, and development is (supposed to be) totally not allowed. But what about greenhouses or hydroponics buildings? I'm sure that both are classified under those paperwork-intensive restrictions, but they're agriculture. I know the furthest I've gotten is reading into the Clarington municipal bylaws into what development is allowed and not allowed in the greenbelt. It didn't answer many questions :(

Second, I'm really interested in what Newmarket's development plan is, and Wikipedia isn't very specific at all. Does anyone know what the plans are? As I said before, Yonge St. and Davis Drive would be the perfect places for medium-density mixed-use development along the entire stretch. It ranks near the top in my development fantasies :rolleyes:

Last edited:
^ I'd imagine that Davis Drive is more comparable, or at least, just as densely inhabitited with a mix of commercial and institutional (Southlake Regional), as well.

Back