News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The existing rail connection here goes from Nanticoke to Caledonia to Brantford, it's a quite circuitous route and not particularly useful for passenger service.

Passenger service on a useful route (i.e. direct to Hamilton) would have to use the abandoned ROW between Caledonia and Hamilton, which would involve the closure of the escarpment rail trail in Hamilton, a very popular recreational trail in the city. It wouldn't be popular, though it would be a fairly logical extension of service from Hamilton Centre GO.

I'm not opposed to the rail route actually, it would service Caledonia, the Hamilton Mountain area, and Hagersville, all fairly quickly growing communities. Just not sure the political practicality of reviving the abandoned ROW up the escarpment.

Port Dover is growing quite quickly right now (grew 13% 2016-2021, over 2.5% a year), and Empire has a ton of land holdings on the greater Niagara Peninsula here, so it makes sense.

This large of a community here, if paired with growth occurring in Norfolk County and in Caledonia, Hagersville, etc., would likely lead to a revival of the old Highway 6 freeway plans of the 1980's to service it as well. At the very least an extension of it to Caledonia and likely bypasses of Hagersville and Jarvis.
I've long thought of restoring the railway on the trail here. Tearing it out in the 90s was a huge, shortsighted mistake as it is the only escarpment rail access within built-up Hamilton, the only one that goes towards lake Erie and could open up both freight and passenger service possibilities.

I think the utility of this route as a GO service would be tremendous for the Nanticoke/Port Dover area, and also for Caledonia and the east mountain, and the airport area (maybe a spur?) in Hamilton. Such an expansion would require not only track restoration, but likely new tracks to Hamilton centre GO, which might as well be bundled into this scheme for the already-constrained station as a logical terminus. Luckily the portion from Caledonia to the Lake Erie area is still intact, albeit worn. I'm sure there is a way that we could restore the ROW and preserve a trail component alongside it, even around the escarpment. Unfortunately, this would be a much bigger no-brainer if the tracks weren't torn up already.

Colo. Traffic Engineers Walk (And Roll) a Mile In a Pedestrian’s Shoes

From link.

IMG_6964-1-rotated.jpeg

Nica Cave was rolling along in her wheelchair on one of Denver, Colo.’s busiest corridors — five-lane Sheridan Boulevard at 17th street — in the middle of the afternoon on February 9, just inches from oncoming traffic. Cave, 25, uses a wheelchair due to a lifelong disability, and frequently makes journeys like this to get from A to B.

But on that day, she was not alone: she was on a walk organized specifically to draw attention to the dangers experienced by people who walk and roll on Denver’s streets, alongside state transportation engineers, city planners, and youth advocates curious to see what her daily experience as a car-free wheelchair user was really like.

Cave co-hosted the event with Jonathon Stalls, creator of the popular TikTok account “Pedestrian Dignity,” along with Phyllis Smack, Alejandra X. Castañeda, and Max Leal-Gomez.

“It is important to be clear about how profoundly unsafe our route is,” Stalls wrote in a planning email.
In his work, Stalls, 39, focuses on highlighting the “lived experience” of the most vulnerable people on our streets. In his previous activism, he often hit (figurative) road blocks, struggling with “too much conceptual convincing.”

But TikTok — which he said “is not natural to me in any way” — gives him a fresh approach. He says the platform helps his viewers to more directly experience what it’s like to navigate car-dominated streets on foot, or using an assistive device like a wheelchair. He also maintains a YouTube channel; in 2021 he submitted a video of a particularly arduous trek to a Littleton, Colo. bus stop to Streetsblog’s Sorriest Bus Stop contest.

“I want them to be engaged with their senses,” he said.

And Stalls says young people are responding — not just by clicking “follow,” but by becoming activists, joining planning commission meetings, sending videos to city council members, and organizing events. He notes an earlier video that he filmed on Sheridan, which prompted “at least 100 or more” emails to the Colorado Department of Transportation urging the agency to make the road safer.
With Denver’s roadway deaths on the rise, the Mile High City needs new street safety advocates more than ever. A staggering 73 people died in traffic crashes last year, more than any other since the city first adopted its Vision Zero plan in 2015.

Those numbers caught the attention of state transportation authorities — as did the flood of emails from Stalls’ Tik Tok followers. But when Colorado DOT leaders reached out to discuss his work, Stalls’ response was unconventional: “I would prefer if we actually…go out and move on these arterial streets together while we think about and co-create and think through solutions, and not just talk about it,” he said.

The state officials agreed, and Stalls and his co-hosts invited them to spend an afternoon on one of the busiest corridors in the city, to experience its missing sidewalks for themselves.

“There are muddy hills that slope and spill right into a high-speed arterial street where cars move 40 to 50 miles an hour,” he said, adding that the thoroughfare runs adjacent to grocery stores, public housing, and mixed-income housing.
IMG_6971.jpeg

At the event, Cave introduced her co-hosts and facilitated conversation with DOT officials. Her goal was simple: to help others “witness my experience being a pedestrian in the roughest parts of Denver.”

Cave said wheeling down the road so close to oncoming traffic “was a little terrifying…[but] I do experience that on a daily basis.” Being with the group “amplified the experience,” she added, because it helped others to see what things they’d normally miss from the car window.

“Going from A to B is not as simple as looking at the bus routes and the times,” she explained. “It’s going on Google Street View and looking at the crosswalks, looking at the sidewalks, looking at entrances in the buildings, looking at bus stops – and making sure that I can verify that they’re actually going to work for me.”

Sometimes, even those exhaustive efforts fail her, forcing Cave to adapt on the fly. She jokingly calls herself a “logistics expert,” because of all of the planning involved in getting where she needs to go.

Denver transportation leaders are taking some steps to improve conditions for walkers. In 2018, a citywide plan called “Denver Moves: Pedestrians and Trails,” offered a blueprint for improving crossings, sidewalks, and trails throughout the city. And the Elevate Denver Bond, includes $47M in funding to help fix sidewalk gaps – including for sidewalks along Sheridan Blvd from I-70 up to 52nd Avenue, where the Feb. 9 walk occurred.

A 2021 RISE bond offers another $12M to construct missing sidewalks and $42M for safety and mobility improvements, according to the department. Additionally, the department hiked parking rates from $1 to $2, and the additional revenue will go towards implementing a Vision Zero Action Plan to build more bike lanes, fill sidewalk gaps, and make intersections and pedestrian crossings safer.

Those efforts will help, but keeping all those new walkways in good working order will be a challenge. Cave says there are inconsistencies in who is responsible for sidewalk maintenance under Denver law, and that she thinks placing ownership in the hands of the city would be the best solution, “because they are public spaces.”

She also thinks DOT leaders should make walking Denver roads a regular practice — and Stalls agrees. He says the experience of “being in a hostile environment” should be at the forefront of the minds of city planners as they plan initiatives, too, rather than “an afterthought.”

“We don’t need a fucking study,” Stalls said. “People are dying.”

Some sport fans may desire to have a Toronto based National Football League (NFL) team. If that should happen, the same fans may want Toronto to host the SuperBowl. However, there are conditions to make that happen...

From link.

Some of the conditions to be fulfilled by the host city/venue​

- The host stadium must be in a market that hosts an NFL team and must have a minimum of 70,000 seats, with the media and electrical amenities necessary to produce the Super Bowl. Stadiums may include temporary seating for Super Bowls, but seating must be approved by the league. Stadiums where the average game day temperature is below 50 °F (10 °C) must either have a roof or a waiver given by the league. There must be a minimum of 35,000 parking spaces within one mile of the stadium.

- The host stadium must have space for the Gameday Experience, a large pregame entertainment area, within walking distance of the stadium.

- The host city must have space for the NFL Experience, the interactive football theme park which is operated the week prior to the Super Bowl. An indoor venue for the event must have a minimum of 850,000 square feet (79,000 m2), and an outdoor venue must have a minimum of 1,000,000 square feet (93,000 m2). Additionally, there must be space nearby for the Media Center, and space for all other events involved in the Super Bowl week, including golf courses and bowling alleys.

- The necessary infrastructure must be in place around the stadium and other Super Bowl facilities, including parking, security, electrical needs, media needs, communication needs, and transportation needs.

- There must be a minimum number of hotel spaces within one hour's drive of the stadium equaling 35% of the stadium's capacity, along with hotels for the teams, officials, media, and other dignitaries. (For Super Bowl XXXIX, the city of Jacksonville docked several luxury cruise liners at their port to act as temporary hotel space).

- There must be practice space of equal and comparable quality for both teams within a twenty minute drive of the team hotels, and rehearsal space for all events within a reasonable distance to the stadium. The practice facilities must have one grass field and at least one field of the same surface as the host stadium.

- The stadium must have a minimum of 70,000 fixed seats, including club and fixed suite seating, during regular season operations. (Source: "NFL's lengthy list of requirements for Super Bowl host city leaked". Sports Illustrated)

Another little piece of knowledge worth noting: on 7 January the Bucs will become the first side in history to play the Super Bowl in their own stadium.

Where are the future Super Bowls to be held?​

After this season’s finale at the SoFi stadium in California, we’ll be off to the State Farm stadium for the Super Bowl LVII in Glendale, Arizona.

In 2024, the Allegiant stadium will play host whereas in 2025 the Super Bowl will be held at the Caesars Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Note all the references to "parking" or "driving". All aspects that induce s-p-r-a-w-l.

Some sport fans may desire to have a Toronto based National Football League (NFL) team. If that should happen, the same fans may want Toronto to host the SuperBowl. However, there are conditions to make that happen...

From link.

Note all the references to "parking" or "driving". All aspects that induce s-p-r-a-w-l.
You can expand underground parking and build parkade spaces under highrises and hotels without sprawl

That being said, I think chasing an NFL team rarely pays off for cities economically

Kind of a shame we are continuing to build arterials this way.

Arterials are needed, but I suspect we could achieve the same transportation goals with lower speeds using one way couplets, and not needing monstrous 10 lane wide intersections that are completely deadly to the pedestrian experience.

Have driven through this work a few times over the past year or so, it is a massive project. Considering Milton has had the same mayor for the last 42 years (and just re-elected him for another 4-year term), it shouldn’t surprise anyone that this is how Milton is developing.

Have driven through this work a few times over the past year or so, it is a massive project. Considering Milton has had the same mayor for the last 42 years (and just re-elected him for another 4-year term), it shouldn’t surprise anyone that this is how Milton is developing.
This is the Region of Halton at work, this is not a specific Milton project. Just as the waterline installation from Lake Ontario kick started the 'new' Milton later in the 90's and was ROH work. Previous to that date, development (for better or for worse) was stalled due to groundwater issues and restrictions.

Halton has a ton of large road projects underway or soon to be underway.

Generally Halton is the worst offender in the GTA for"mega-stroads". Their MO is large, 70km/h limited access arterial roads. Roads like this.

The concept of widening roads shouldn't be a foreign one, as an area urbanizes it should be natural to expect a rural concession road to evolve, the discussion should be more nuanced on how that road is designed. Britannia Road of 2009 wouldn't work for an urbanized area, but so too do I question if Britannia of 2022 working for what is needed. The reality of these areas is you need a lot of arterial road capacity, but how those arterials should be designed is a real valid question. At least it has separated, dutch-style multi-use paths? It at the very least doesn't strike me as fundamentally different than a modern Dutch arterial. I could see it working with some tweaks (smaller lane widths, larger median to provide a better pedestrian refuge, shifting of crossing locations at intersections to minimize crossing distance, etc.)

Last edited:

Generally Halton is the worst offender in the GTA for"mega-stroads". Their MO is large, 70km/h limited access arterial roads. Roads like this.

The concept of widening roads shouldn't be a foreign one, as an area urbanizes it should be natural to expect a rural concession road to evolve, the discussion should be more nuanced on how that road is designed. Britannia Road of 2009 wouldn't work for an urbanized area, but so too do I question if Britannia of 2022 working for what is needed. The reality of these areas is you need a lot of arterial road capacity, but how those arterials should be designed is a real valid question. At least it has separated, dutch-style multi-use paths? It at the very least doesn't strike me as fundamentally different than a modern Dutch arterial. I could see it working with some tweaks (smaller lane widths, larger median to provide a better pedestrian refuge, shifting of crossing locations at intersections to minimize crossing distance, etc.)
Perhaps one small kudo in their favour. They detoured around the settlement of Omagh (at 4th line), allowing some hope that sympathetic additional infill developement in the original settlement town could add some identity and uniqueness to the sprawl. Halton has missed far too many other opportunities, one being Palermo, to do this as it bulldozes its way through prime farmland with abandon.

Design wise you can tell the Halton road is way higher speed than the Dutch.
yes, but the concepts of limited access, etc. which results in the actual capacity needed remain. The differences are in lane widths, intersection design, etc. If Brittannia removed the painted bike lane and narrowed the lane widths to 3.2m, it would be quite similar on the straightaways.

If Halton wants to spend buckets of money on roads, I'm all for it; but instead of super-wide stroads, how about adding the lane capacity by doubling the density of the grid?

That would allow the entire region to be more walkable, more bikeable, more transit-able, and would created additional main streets that could support retail and density.

There are a lot of 2km gaps between major grid streets in Halton. Some may be difficult to avoid due to natural areas. But many are quite fixable.

There is a need for an E-W grid street between Upper Middle and Dundas; and another between Upper Middle and the QEW.

Meanwhile N-S grid gaps between Burloak and Bronte, Bronte and Third; and Third and Fourth also require filling

That would be a supportable investment in roads. The new streets would generally be one-lane each but with dedicated left-turn lanes throughout, and dedicated transit lanes where volume warrants, along with cycle tracks.

This would in turn eliminate the need to widen any road beyond 4 total through lanes for vehicles.

Last edited:

Copied and pasted to here...
1667251814771.png

Back