8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

YerraKhunt

Member Bio
Reaction score
Well I have some friends of mine that moved to toronto, ive visited them a few times and I really like it.
Ive been planning on moving there for a while. Im just wondering on how much expenses would cost.

Ive looked online and saw some apartments in Scarborough for fairly cheap, but im more curius about how much transportation, insurance,food, etc.

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Different parts of Toronto will have different expenses for everything... even the cable bills are different by area... Its probably better to make a budget based on what you can afford....

Cheap apartments in Scarborough are cheap for a reason. Spend some time walking around the neighbourhood and watching who comes and goes from the building before signing a lease. Make sure that you don't have electric heat and if you do, make sure hydro is included in your lease or don't sign - find somewhere else. If you look a little more centrally you can find a bachelor in the $800 range, 1 bed $1000 range, 2 bed (share!) $1300 range.

Food is pretty much the same price as anywhere else, perhaps even more competitive depending on where you live. Car insurance a little more expensive from what I understand, home insurance varies by neighbourhood but not by too much. If you don't have a car one-way TTC fare is $3.00 or $121/month for a Metropass which gives you unlimited use on all TTC routes except express routes into downtown (there's not that many of them) and you can claim the Metropass for a Federal Transit Tax Credit on your tax return.

Hope that helps.

Cheap apartments in Scarborough are cheap for a reason. Spend some time walking around the neighbourhood and watching who comes and goes from the building before signing a lease. Make sure that you don't have electric heat and if you do, make sure hydro is included in your lease or don't sign - find somewhere else. If you look a little more centrally you can find a bachelor in the $800 range, 1 bed $1000 range, 2 bed (share!) $1300 range.

Food is pretty much the same price as anywhere else, perhaps even more competitive depending on where you live. Car insurance a little more expensive from what I understand, home insurance varies by neighbourhood but not by too much. If you don't have a car one-way TTC fare is $3.00 or $121/month for a Metropass which gives you unlimited use on all TTC routes except express routes into downtown (there's not that many of them) and you can claim the Metropass for a Federal Transit Tax Credit on your tax return.

Hope that helps.

To be honest, regarding your advice about a rental building ... I'd apply that to anywhere, whether it's Scarborough or not. It's always a good idea.

I can tell you stories about some friends who live in buildings around 16th Avenue and Yonge (that's north of Toronto in a suburb i.e. Richmond Hill)... a place where you'd think not much of anything takes place ... but it's apparently full of crime / drugs / ... I couldn't believe it given the location but anyway ...

Still, if he gave us an indication of the neighbourhoods, it would be helpful. There are always bad individual apt. buildings, but we could tell him which intersections in general aren't so good. I wouldn't want to live in a bad apt. in any neighbourhood, but I wouldn't want to live in a good apt. in a bad neighbourhood either. At least we can help him with the latter.

As for Scarborough, the nice areas are nice, but the not nice areas are not nice. It's a very big place though.

The other issue is transit. Where I live in Scarborough, it's very nice, but transit sucks. It doesn't affect me much since I have to drive to work anyway (since direct transit support isn't great at my workplace either), but my home is not in an ideal location for others who may prefer say easy subway access.

We live in Swansea and pay less than $900 per month for a larger 1br apartment all inclusive. We're within easy walking distance of multiple bus routes and the 501 Streetcar.. and we're a 20 minute walk from the subway. You can even find decent apartments closer to downtown for a similar price. If you're moving to Scarborough, make sure you have a specific reason to move there. You don't want to waste half your day commuting downtown for work because you think you're saving a few bucks. However if you work in Scarborough, sure then, there are decent areas.

To be honest, regarding your advice about a rental building ... I'd apply that to anywhere, whether it's Scarborough or not. It's always a good idea.

Good point, I shouldn't have singled out Scarborough.

Back