9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm thinking of planting a tree that I can watch grow and hopefully one day use as a story and a lesson for my kids and grand kids.

I live in an apartment building so I don't have a front or back yard and I also think that a tree planted in a park will have a better chance at surviving for many years.

Is it legal to plant a tree in a city park?

Anticipating that the answer to that question is no, what is the penalty for doing so and the likelihood that it will be enforced?

Second question: what would be a good species of tree to plant? I want it to be inconspicuous at first so I won't be planting a large tree. I'd like to see it grow from something very small and then document its growth for many years to come.

i was also wondering this exact same question , but i live in house with a backyard , across from my backyard is a city park , which i think could use more trees

Officially, it is likely illegal to modify or add landscaping to city property, but I'd plant the tree, as its no harm at all. Try planting towards the night where they're aren't as many onlookers.

My area of knowledge:

First, yes, its technically illegal to just go plant a tree on your own in a city park; however, there are plenty of ways to get what you want done anyway.

Doing it on your own, in a natural setting you might well get away with; but sticking it in the sod or landscaped bed, it would likely be mowed over or removed.

So how to get this done.

Depends on what you want.

The City has a memorial tree program where they will plant a big (caliper) tree in a park, if you pay for it, and you can get a tiny plaque in front of the tree to honour someone. They charge you a fair bundle for this though.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/commemorative_tree_bench.htm

Second, you can just get the same thing (a new tree added to your park) by asking, no plaque, no fee to you. Parks has a set amount of money for trees each year and another pool for 'minor improvements'. A big chunk of this just goes to little projects people ask for. See a new swing set? Could be that it just needed replacing, but there's a 50/50 chance that it got replaced cause someone called the councillor or the parks supervisor for the area.

If you would like 1 or more new trees in your local park, consider asking your councillor's office; or by-pass them and phone 311 to find the name of your local parks supervisor, and phone them directly.

Another option if you want to get your hands dirty is to work with a group like Friends of the Don East, www.fode.ca They run plantings every spring and fall, for the public and school groups, mostly in Toronto's valley parks. Obviously you just plant what they're already planting; but I know they've put in a unique or larger tree before if someone made a donation etc.

Finally, on species

This depends on your location, and what you want to see, and how soon.

Examples:

Silver Maple requires full sun
Sugar Maple prefers being planted in the mostly shade (part-sun is OK)

Silver Maple and Cedar like normal to wetter sites
Red Pine prefers sandy and dry

IF your near a road, or pathway, you want something road-salt tolerant (Silver Maple is good) (Sugar not so much)

If you want the tree to grow quick, to be impressive; something like an Trembling Aspen or Balsam Poplar would be good; they reach full height (10 storeys plus) in 15-18 years; however they also die by 30.

IF you want something that will grow slowly, but assuming it survives its first couple of years, will still be growing when your children are old; Oak Trees tend to live between 80-120 years) and Cedar can live for centuries.

Cedar Trees though are very vulnerable to dog pee! (turns them black and they die, when they're young)

Native trees are still not easy to get at a local nursery, so if you decided not to go through the City, I would suggest seeing if you can get FODE or one of the other local groups to just add a tree to an order for you; or you could make a special trip to a nursery.

Evergreen at the Brickworks is supposed to have their native plant nursery up and running this year, not sure if they do yet; otherwise, you probably have to go out of town to a place like Acorus.

http://www.ecologyart.com

or

Native Plants

http://www.nativeplants.ca/

Hope that helps.

As an aside, if you give me the growing conditions, I'd be happy to give you a list of species.

Or if you want to browse a bit......

Use the Native Plant Database on the Evergreen Website

http://nativeplants.evergreen.ca/search/advanced.php

Pick, Ontario; only native species; then insert the growing conditions (sun, water) etc. in the specified fields and it will show you what works, and usually provided a picture and info.

Thanks for your detailed post. This gives me some ideas. I'll be planting it @ Trinity-Bellwoods Park, probably off the path and near other bushes or trees to give it some protection fro being mowed over.

js97, guerilla gardening did come to mind when I first thought of doing this. I'm reminded of how some people plant flowers around trees on the sidewalks in front of their properties so planting a tree in a park shouldn't hurt.

There's a dead tree near my place and I wouldn't mind planting one there on my own dime but something tells me the city would just go in, remove my tree and plant the one they were planning for to replace the dead tree with.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'd rather plant trees on some rural property then use the trees to make my own house, furniture etc. I hate paying retail.:D (Helps to know some old school Amish lumberjacks/carpenters who work for very little other than food on the table and a place to sleep.:))

Throw enough maple keys and horse chestnut conkers around in the ravines and you can grow your own forest. the Tree Police will never suspect.

Great thread.

I've often thought it would be interesting to scatter perrenial flower seeds in abandoned lots to bring some colour to them all spring/summer/fall long.

I used to pass the lot on the southeast corner of Sherbourne and Gerrard.... I wonder if it is still vacant? It was pretty open at one point, but was fenced off a couple years ago.

Planting trees in abandoned lots would be interesting too.

Back