8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

azureray

Member Bio
Reaction score
I found UT members are extremely helpful...so here I am hoping you can help me with this kitchen layout.

I am purchasing a new condo unit with a great Poggenpohl kitchen, and the builder is allowing me to alter the floor-plan. The ceiling Height is 9 ft plus.

Here's the original kitchen plan:

image-B594_4B6088BD.jpg

But, I want to divide the north portion of the kitchen to be a den, approx 6 ft by 9 ft. Also, to extend the counter to be a breakfast bar / dinning area. So here's a redesign round 1:

image-B8B9_4B6088BD.jpg

But the problem is, I have lost valuable counter space, as well as storage, especially the overhang full height cabnets.

So I have re-designed again, and here's the latest redesign layout:

image-223C_4B6088BD.jpg

Instead of having an island, I have made it into a "U" shape kitchen. Also, the wall between the kitchen and the den is sand-blasted partition glass to allow more light into the kitchen.

I dont have an elevation of the kitchen yet.

So:

1. What do you guys think of the redesign?
2. Any suggestions / advice / ideas?
3. Anyone has CAD handy who can help me to do a quick 3D elevation?

Many thanks in advance!!

^^^
moving the sink where you did has made your den 2 feet narrower than the originally stated 6 feet.

PROPOSAL:

1) keep the left wall layout as per original plan with cabinetry running along full length

2) left wall from bottom to top:
full height floor-to-ceiling cabinet depth corner pantry to maximize otherwise wasted corner;
36" bttm mount refrig freezer (do not move right next to glass partition wall as it will not have enough clearance when opening swinging door);
24" dishwasher;
sink (is it 30" or 36"?)

to maximize storage since you have 9ft ceilings ... assuming base cabinet height with countertop of 36", backsplash height of 18" and standard upper cabinet height of 30" ... that gives you the option of putting 24"h 24"d cabinetry with full extending drawers to maximze function/usability.

if you're confused as to what i mean, i will try and find a picture or design one.

3) have a 48" clearance between the left side base cabinets and the island b/c 36" will be very tight with more than one person in kitchen and would cause problems opening up your 36" wide refridgerator.

4) island's quartz counter-top extended from 30" to 42" ... that will give you 18" overhang for breakfast bar/dining and photography use.

5) island size remains at 25" x 95" with 36" gas cooktop 30" offset from whatever side the convection oven is .... this provides counterspace on either side for safety and aesthetics;
remaining base cabinetry should be full extending drawers.

hope this makes sense.

^^^
moving the sink where you did has made your den 2 feet narrower than the originally stated 6 feet.

PROPOSAL:

1) keep the left wall layout as per original plan with cabinetry running along full length

full height floor-to-ceiling cabinet depth corner pantry to maximize otherwise wasted corner;
36" bttm mount refrig freezer (do not move right next to glass partition wall as it will not have enough clearance when opening swinging door);
24" dishwasher;
sink (is it 30" or 36"?)

to maximize storage since you have 9ft ceilings ... assuming base cabinet height with countertop of 36", backsplash height of 18" and standard upper cabinet height of 30" ... that gives you the option of putting 24"h 24"d cabinetry with full extending drawers to maximze function/usability.

if you're confused as to what i mean, i will try and find a picture or design one.

3) have a 48" clearance between the left side base cabinets and the island b/c 36" will be very tight with more than one person in kitchen and would cause problems opening up your 36" wide refridgerator.

4) island's quartz counter-top extended from 30" to 42" ... that will give you 18" overhang for breakfast bar/dining and photography use.

5) island size remains at 25" x 95" with 36" gas cooktop 30" offset from whatever side the convection oven is .... this provides counterspace on either side for safety and aesthetics;

hope this makes sense.

Hi cdr108,

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply...it will be greatly helpful if you can do some illustration / elevation graphs so I can better comprehend as well as articulate it to the builder architect. the reason I moved the sink is that I found there was not enough space to accommodate the sink when I added the north side counters. Why moving the sink will eat up 2' depth of the den? Plumbing?

Thanks a lot!!!

^^^

PROPOSAL:

24" dishwasher;
sink (is it 30" or 36"?)

hope this makes sense.

hi CDR108, just want to share with you the final layout...I was told a "U" shape is not possible...so please see below the final design:

image-82AA_4B636426.jpg

hi CDR108, just want to share with you the final layout...I was told a "U" shape is not possible...so please see below the final design:

hi azureray,

did the developer/architect say they could not incorporate some of the suggestions:

that will still allow you to have an island of 43 1/2" x 96" ... IMO 49 1/2" island is overkill and having the extra width between the wall of appliances and island will be much more appreciated.

also, are they not able to accomodate the changes suggested for the 2nd washroom ?

Back